Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 49   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega Owners Forum  (Read 153909 times)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Owners Forum
« Reply #60 on: 18 May 2012, 22:16:57 »

its been mentioned before and i think if there was an area locked off to browsers i.e you have to have so many posts to unlock an area where you can go in and say more than you can on the public forum,would it take more policeing or could it let certain dicussions move there to let off steam

I have suggested that before now - "Omega Amigos" naturally. 250 posts to be able to post. It would move the cliquey element to behind the scenes - not sure that is necessary though. The Boy certainly never thought it was a good idea.

We do live in depressing times unlike the years before when things were generally better. I do believe that is reflected in the forum

I've got to admit that, having listened to his views and (personal) reasons against the idea I agree with him... It would produce a "split" community.

I'm still sure that things will pick up, especially in 7 weeks time after the Lakes, like they always do :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

DaveA

• Intermediate Member
  • Leicestershire
    • Insignia CDTI SE 160
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 18 May 2012, 22:26:05 »

I agree that there is what appears to be a small clique, I noticed soon after I joined, but,  has been said, I can ignore it.
    That said, I find nothing wrong with the forum, some posts, I find, are very funny, others, that appear to be a little offensive, I will ignore.
  The forum has been a great help with my motor. I'm not a big poster but have a read most days.

Regards
    Dave

feeutfo

« Reply #62 on: 18 May 2012, 22:31:44 »

Does anyone feel apprehension  about the Main meets since the unfortunate situation between Jimbob and loo knee. Ie the LJay debacle?

I suspect this may be behind the the low interest in the Lakes meet. But I do hope i am wrong.

Apologies for mentioning it, and risking dragging all that up again. It's a subject at the core of Oof IMO. One that risks everything. I desperately hope we have moved on but somehow... :-\

If the key point of Oof spirit is the meets as TB suspects, if I understand correctly, then I'd list problem areas in no particular order as;

The debacle ( please tell me I'm wrong)
Entwoods point( I don't like it but it's a valid point)
Politics in excess (and nothing else by some members)
Endless negative threads in Gen chat ( I logged on last week and every single thread was depressing)

Not sure I should post this but here goes ( wince )

For me, yes Chris.
I'm really sorry you feel that way Daz. The work, time and personal finance you have put in to the Meets deserves real credit. Likewise, although in a different field, Jimbobs work with guides and IT stuff I don't pretend to understand is of great help to us all too. We need you both as members first off, and Admin need you both on top of that for support.
 The situation is unfair on all involved. I feel a sense of anger about it, (but I'm aware I feel a sense of anger about most things ;D) it's a real shame mate tbh. I'd hope all involved can take a step outside the situation and see a bigger picture, although asking any more of members as involved as this already doesn't seem fair either. :-\

I don't know the answer Daz. But you, admin and mods, should be aware you are appreciated. Even though it may not feal like it on occasion. :)

ozzycat

• Omega Baron
  • chudliegh knighton /devon
    • hyundia i30
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 18 May 2012, 22:32:36 »

i enjoy this forum as it is
yuo can say what you like to who you like within reason if your wrong you get
your head bitten off or get the piss ripped out of you something wroten but we all remain freinds whitch is the main thing and an apology gos along way
my own personel opinion is there is no forum like this one its helpfull
to the point that people will break there backs to help each other out
they argue and take the mick but still remain freinds
nothing is too much trouble the members will spend as much time as needed to sort a problem out
but expect nothing in return
the best thing about this forum is the members who make this thing work
that is all the members of this forum

[off my high horse now]  anyway we are all bloody crazy which helps
« Last Edit: 18 May 2012, 22:35:43 by ozzycat »
this is a great forum lets not spoil it
long live the magic tree
its good to be back

cleggy

« Reply #64 on: 18 May 2012, 22:34:44 »

It is a CLIQUE  just look at the people who reply and agree with each other on this thread :(

feeutfo

« Reply #65 on: 18 May 2012, 22:35:54 »

its been mentioned before and i think if there was an area locked off to browsers i.e you have to have so many posts to unlock an area where you can go in and say more than you can on the public forum,would it take more policeing or could it let certain dicussions move there to let off steam

I have suggested that before now - "Omega Amigos" naturally. 250 posts to be able to post. It would move the cliquey element to behind the scenes - not sure that is necessary though. The Boy certainly never thought it was a good idea.

We do live in depressing times unlike the years before when things were generally better. I do believe that is reflected in the forum

I've got to admit that, having listened to his views and (personal) reasons against the idea I agree with him... It would produce a "split" community.

I'm still sure that things will pick up, especially in 7 weeks time after the Lakes, like they always do :y
don't tell him I said so, but when sugesting ideas for oof, I've often found TB has usually turned out to be right. He's wrong about all else of course, but rarely about oof. ;)

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 18 May 2012, 22:41:20 »

Does anyone feel apprehension  about the Main meets since the unfortunate situation between Jimbob and loo knee. Ie the LJay debacle?

I suspect this may be behind the the low interest in the Lakes meet. But I do hope i am wrong.

Apologies for mentioning it, and risking dragging all that up again. It's a subject at the core of Oof IMO. One that risks everything. I desperately hope we have moved on but somehow... :-\

If the key point of Oof spirit is the meets as TB suspects, if I understand correctly, then I'd list problem areas in no particular order as;

Endless negative threads in Gen chat ( I logged on last week and every single thread was depressing)

For me, yes Chris.
I'm really sorry you feel that way Daz. The work, time and personal finance you have put in to the Meets deserves real credit. Likewise, although in a different field, Jimbobs work with guides and IT stuff I don't pretend to understand is of great help to us all too. We need you both as members first off, and Admin need you both on top of that for support.
 The situation is unfair on all involved. I feel a sense of anger about it, (but I'm aware I feel a sense of anger about most things ;D) it's a real shame mate tbh. I'd hope all involved can take a step outside the situation and see a bigger picture, although asking any more of members as involved as this already doesn't seem fair either. :-\

I don't know the answer Daz. But you, admin and mods, should be aware you are appreciated. Even though it may not feal like it on occasion. :)

I aren't a member of the Admin Team anymore  :)
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 18 May 2012, 22:41:37 »

It is a CLIQUE  just look at the people who reply and agree with each other on this thread :(

Methinks your definition of "Clique" may be incorrect .... from my dictionary ..

"Clique : A small group of people with shared interests, who spend time together and exclude others."

I have not seen ANYONE, in ANYWAY, excluded from any part of OOF, if you wish to participate you are free to do so, and you have already done so .. hence .. no "clique" exists. 

ozzycat

• Omega Baron
  • chudliegh knighton /devon
    • hyundia i30
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 18 May 2012, 22:43:08 »

don't tell him I said so, but when sugesting ideas for oof, I've often found TB has usually turned out to be right. He's wrong about all else of course, but rarely about oof. ;)  :y :y :y i got to agree
this is a great forum lets not spoil it
long live the magic tree
its good to be back

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 18 May 2012, 22:43:39 »

It might come across as such but I don't feel that the OOF is a clique. Some of us have been here since Noah was a lad, have met each other & have made great friendships with each other. Having the same relationship with a name on the page is more difficult which is why the mention of cliques.
The ABS is also tagged with the same thing, but again, meeting people in the flesh makes the difference.  :y

feeutfo

« Reply #70 on: 18 May 2012, 22:47:37 »

For me, yes Chris.

I aren't a member of the Admin Team anymore  :)
The whole thing might be perceived as "the elefant in the room" mate, tbh. I'm sue we've all noticed, but nobody wants to talk about it. Which isn't right either I guess...?

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 18 May 2012, 22:50:17 »

May I say that personally I have not noticed the atmosphere outlined by TB, this may be because the few times that I check General diss, I am not particularly interested in some of what I consider, to be pointless and uninformed comments, and so rarely read it.

I agree that at times OOF may seem 'cliquey', but that is inevitable when a group of members  meet regularly at big meets, and often help each other with tech. problems - which incidentally are invariably shared with us lesser mortals. I would enjoy joining the big meets, but quite frankly, at 75, I am not into tents or caravans, so it is, sadly, unlikely that I shall attend.

The comment about rudeness between members rings true, I myself have been on the receiving end of it because I wasn't as knowledgeable on a particular subject as the other party deemed I should have been, but that did not put me off the forum.

The JB/LJ/LK issue I know less than nothing about, so I can only assume it was something that occurred in General Diss, which, as said, I rarely visit.

I too thought the matter of the post count slashing, leading to one of our lady members leaving (thinking about it, General diss was quite interesting before she left), was handled rather badly in that many of us were completely at a loss to understand what was going on. Unfortunately  what I was told had happened turned out to be wrong, but led me to make comments about a member which I would rather not have posted. I am sure this was very amusing incident to a certain number in the know, but left many of us feeling very uncomfortable, and did contribute to the 'clique' feeling.

My overall impression after 4 years is that the majority of people on the forum are more than happy to share their advice and expertise, and long may that attitude continue. :y :y :y

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 18 May 2012, 22:51:35 »

Gen Dis is where the problems are IMHO, all other parts run well.

In Gen Dis there is now no proper laughter, those who think they are funny... aren't. Way too much masked swearing/profanity and insults.

Now "banter" is good .. but there is very little about, a few folks have their own "private" exchanges, which usually ends up with a few more masked swear words, that add nothing to the forum.

Political comment is overwhelming .. but don't anyone dare to give a contradictory viewpoint.. you will be leapt on by the small but vociferous few.

I don't think there's been a "careless", "pointless", "stupid" thread where folks simply talk rubbish for a long, long, while; simply because someone will either go to far, or more likely, take themselves too seriously and complain.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, and someone will accuse me of elitism/snobbery/whatever, but the personality/culture/profile/age of the folks who own Omegas has changed dramatically as the price of them has dropped.This is mainly why the forum has changed IMHO. There is also the fact that many "members" don't actually own one anymore, and look on the forum simply as a chat room.

There is very little "management" can do about these matters, as the forum is made up of the people who frequent it, and that is changing rapidly.

The old members no longer post, we have very few female posters - hardly surprising given the way women are talked about on the forum - and if I had young kids I would be very wary of them reading some posts, given the content, on what is supposed to be, and used to be, a "family" site.

:(

Please allow me to be the first Entwood!  J'accuse! :)
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

Nickbat

« Reply #73 on: 18 May 2012, 23:02:17 »

Is the answer not to close the General Discussion board or request the purveyors of political matters, or other material not deemed to be in keeping with the general tenor of a car forum to desist or leave - I'm more than happy to abide by the wishes of those who consider this to be such a problem but for Christ’s sake lets not beat about the bush and continue to pick at this perceived sore.

Quite agree, Den.

You know the fact that we all have/had Vauxhall Omegas in no way implies common ground on any other issue. We reflect society at large: the good, bad and ugly. We are not living in happy times and some of the posts reflect that. But it is good that if members feel unhappy about something they can post their views. It helps to know that others agree and we can have a joint rant.

If there is one thing I would change it is the sticky for jokes. I used to enjoy opening a thread and, unsuspectingly, come across a real howler. The sticky has moved the humour into a back cupboard, where few venture, I suspect. Some jokes deserve a thread of their own and enliven the board as a whole. :y

That said, Omega ownership will die out. It's inevitable. I mean, how many Model T forums are still in existence?  ;) ;D 

Amigo

• Omega Baron
  • Immingham N.E Lincs.
  • Be objective, be selective.
    • Passat & Cortina GXL
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 18 May 2012, 23:06:33 »

Despite my status...(i left & rejoined) & i don't even have a Mig anymore but this place is special. Of course because of time, more members, fall outs & general dissent among the ranks the nature of the beast will change & this is what we have to address. I joined up just before the first Lakesmeet with my first Omega & only just got online!!!! so have seen allsorts happen good & bad & have been alot more "colorful" in my stroppy rants & rows than i am now, this being down to the ageing process which also comes with the loss of loved ones & has given me a sense of perspective hence my now subdued presence. Point being as the forum ages the members & said life experiences age relatively which will have an effect. I've made some real friends on here over the years so it's all worthwhile & i'll be sticking around despite not being as "entertaining" as i used to be!!!, GuyXXX

Debs, was that the 5 minute argument or the full half hour?
Curry makes the world go round!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 49   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 18 queries.