Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sub woofer help  (Read 2732 times)

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
Sub woofer help
« on: 25 June 2010, 09:16:45 »

Please be gentle with me, i'm old and don't understand ICE ::)

I have a facelift CD diesel which had a CDR2005 installed, my first idea was to fit an NCDC2013 because i'm breaking an Elite with the sytem and wiring all there but after reading on here that the Bose can easily and more importantly, cheaply be bettered i've been and purchased a basic head unit that has a modest 50w output. I'm looking to update the door speakers and fit two 8" to 10" 200 to 300W subs in the rear shelf covered with the original Bose speaker shelf. The head unit I have just bought has a Subwoofer Audio Out lead so am I right in thinking all I need is a 12V power from the head unit to the Amp and a phono lead from the Subwoofer audio lead to the amp. Another quick question is, I don't want a car with booming bass so are the 8" to 10" subs suitable and what wattage amp would I need.

TIA :y
Retired

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Sub woofer help
« Reply #1 on: 25 June 2010, 10:46:10 »

I have a facelift CD diesel which had a CDR2005 installed, my first idea was to fit an NCDC2013 because i'm breaking an Elite with the sytem and wiring all there but after reading on here that the Bose can easily and more importantly, cheaply be bettered i've been and purchased a basic head unit that has a modest 50w output. I'm looking to update the door speakers and fit two 8" to 10" 200 to 300W subs in the rear shelf covered with the original Bose speaker shelf. The head unit I have just bought has a Subwoofer Audio Out lead so am I right in thinking all I need is a 12V power from the head unit to the Amp and a phono lead from the Subwoofer audio lead to the amp. Another quick question is, I don't want a car with booming bass so are the 8" to 10" subs suitable and what wattage amp would I need.

The head unit signal to the amp is only to tell the amp to turn on. You will need a separate, fused power connection from the battery to the amp.

From what you are saying, I'd say try it with just some decent door speakers fitted first. You might not need a subwoofer and all the hassle of fitting an amp in the boot..

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #2 on: 25 June 2010, 11:02:20 »

What head unit are you running?

:-?
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 June 2010, 11:03:51 »

The head unit signal to the amp is only to tell the amp to turn on. You will need a separate, fused power connection from the battery to the amp.

From what you are saying, I'd say try it with just some decent door speakers fitted first. You might not need a subwoofer and all the hassle of fitting an amp in the boot..

Kevin
I just thought that while I had the interior out (fitting leather, digital tv aerial and sat nav aerial) I would run the cables for an amp/subs ;)
Retired

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 June 2010, 11:04:13 »

What head unit are you running?

:-?
Cracklemaster ;D ;D
Retired

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 June 2010, 11:20:06 »

I just thought that while I had the interior out (fitting leather, digital tv aerial and sat nav aerial) I would run the cables for an amp/subs ;)

Fair enough. Might as well put the cables in.  :y

Battery cable through one of the large grommets by the pollen filter and then down the passenger side sill. Signal cables and switching signal down the driver's side sill.

Then ask Mr. DND for a drive unit recommendation that will work well against the volume of air in the boot.

Kevin

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 June 2010, 11:42:03 »

Fair enough. Might as well put the cables in.  :y

Battery cable through one of the large grommets by the pollen filter and then down the passenger side sill. Signal cables and switching signal down the driver's side sill.

Then ask Mr. DND for a drive unit recommendation that will work well against the volume of air in the boot.

Kevin

Kevin
What are these Kevin and where would they run from/to ::)

Told you I was useless at this stuff ;D
Retired

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 June 2010, 12:09:16 »

From the head unit to the amp.

Coax cable for the audio signals and a single switching wire to tell the amp to power up when the head unit does.

Probably easiest to buy a kit... I notice Dave sells them. http://www.dndservices.co.uk/px006.html

Not, however, that you might need a longer power cable. 5m is not quite enough to do an Omega, IME. Might just about reach the parcel shelf, I suppose.

Kevin

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #8 on: 25 June 2010, 12:10:05 »

I often get asked what my recommendations are, so here is what I spent the other day doing - Clarion have just launched a new range of speakers, and as many know, I will seldom recommend any products that I have not had first hand experience of.

Just kitted out our recent Astra cabriolet with some very pleasing results. The most common budget mentioned to me is around £400 these days, so that was going to be my target. How far can I go on an absolute max budget of £400 for everything - hopefully this may assist others in what the guy who sells them is happy to fit into his own car !!

Criteria was simply. A new stereo with iPod control, Steering Controls, Bluetooth and some very respectable sounds.

As the missus never plays Cd`s anymore, due to the iPod, there was no point in going for a CD player, so I opted for a mechless unit instead, and this is what I ended up with

Clarion FZ709E with Bluetooth  £229.99

http://www.dndservices.co.uk/fz709e.html

Front Speakers Clarion SRP1721S   £89.99

http://www.dndservices.co.uk/product.php?productid=5466&cat=12&page=1

Rear Speakers Clarion SRX1385  £59.99

http://www.dndservices.co.uk/srx1385.html

Add in a set of speaker rings and a steering control interface, and its came in at around the £400 mark I was targeting for.

As far as the sound quality - I am gobsmacked   :o

Not that long ago, you would have had to spend five times this amount, and to also have amps and subs. The sound quality and depth of Bass is simply stunning. Like all good quality speakers, the top end can be a little harsh to start with , but will mellow down after a few hours of running them in. I`m not going to bother with a sub on this car, and to be honest, its unlikely that I would replace this setup, as I think it will now make an excellent demonstrator as to what can be achieved for relatively little money.

8-)
www.dndservices.co.uk

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 June 2010, 12:11:53 »

£400? You can buy a whole Omega for that  ;D

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #10 on: 25 June 2010, 12:14:42 »

And you know full well what I think an Omega is worth !!

:-X

But with a sound system like mine, it would then be worth £400.50p

:P
www.dndservices.co.uk

Hannah Judes Dad

• Omega Knight
  • Cleethorpes North East Lincs
    • the misses round the bend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 June 2010, 23:06:43 »

And you know full well what I think an Omega is worth !!

:-X

But with a sound system like mine, it would then be worth £400.50p

:P

Where did you get the extra 49p from ?  ;D
Don't wee on the electric fence

omegadan67

• northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 June 2010, 07:27:05 »

Coax cable for the audio signals and a single switching wire to tell the amp to power up when the head unit does.

Probably easiest to buy a kit... I notice Dave sells them. http://www.dndservices.co.uk/px006.html

Not, however, that you might need a longer power cable. 5m is not quite enough to do an Omega, IME. Might just about reach the parcel shelf, I suppose.

Kevin

COAX Cable is not used for audio feeds, Coax is for aerials.

pete if you are removing the interior the run the power cable and switch cable down the passenger side and the phono cables down the middle of the car thats the way i did mine, also uesd 2x6inch phillips subs in parcel shelf very nice sound 
A little infomation is dangerous in the wrong hands

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #13 on: 27 June 2010, 16:08:51 »

Kevin

pete if you are removing the interior the run the power cable and switch cable down the passenger side and the phono cables down the middle of the car thats the way i did mine, also uesd 2x6inch phillips subs in parcel shelf very nice sound 

Go on then, expand on what you have said please ........

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 June 2010, 16:59:16 »

Kevin

Go on then, expand on what you have said please ........

Yes, be interesting. ;)

Kevin
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.