Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yorkshire Newby.  (Read 4158 times)

TDS3

• View Profile
Yorkshire Newby.
« on: 07 August 2006, 23:33:01 »

Hello, i'm Craig from S.Yorkshire, i recently bought an Omega 2.5V6 Elite, 2001 X reg, needs a bit of Tlc paintwise but overall it looks a decent car, i had to replace the screen, brake shoes, 2 tyres, battery, and it needed a good valet, also had the ABS TC light on but sorted that by changing a fuse, i'm going to use it as a daily runaround and try sell it too as i really wanted an ex police MV6 as new as poss, missed out on an 03 reg last week on ebay.  8-)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: Yorkshire Newby.
« Reply #1 on: 08 August 2006, 01:35:00 »

Hiya Craig, and welcome to the Omega forum. As you'll see - I'm a newbie to this specific site myself, but I'm known to a couple of the people here from other places.

You're in the best place for the ownership of one of these cars.

I've recently been extremely busy, but I'm planning to hopefully have more of an involvement in this forum from now on.

Good choice in purchasing an Omega - I've owned 22 cars, but once I bought an Omega I never looked back, I've owned 4/5 Omega's since!

They are absolutely brilliant cars, they all seem to suffer from the same niggles, mostly really silly things such as ABS/TC lights, Heater Bypass valve leaks, cambelt failures and crankshaft sensor failures - but by no means anything sinister if they're maintaied properly (which this site will help anyone to do theirselves!)

Although it looks complicated initially - maintanance on most Omega's is pretty easy, as I've discovered by getting my hands dirty, especially changing the heads on my Elite.

I'm sure Ronald McBurger and many others will be along to preach to you soon, but if I get there first - the cambelt KIT on any Vauxhall Omega engine should be changed every 4 years or 40,000 miles, whichever comes first. By Kit - I mean tensioners and idlers as well, all sold as a package. All (especially early) tensioners are prone to failure, and can seize or fall apart, causing the belt to break or come off, and can do some serious engine damage, so it's an absolute must for preventative maintenance regardless of age. Water pump, as a rule of thumb, is recommended to be changed at every OTHER cambelt change, although personally I'd do it every time, given that it's not expensive, and is only an extra 3 bolts or so once the cambelt assembly is off. And of course, if you intend to keep the car for any time, now is a good time to change the Auxilliary belt.

Sometimes "cambelt parties" are held, where the group get together and change cambelts! I've been toying with the idea of organising one in the Gloucestershire area over the next couple of coming months, although nothing is set.

There are detailed how2's on all of this here.

Other than that, make sure your Antifreeze levels are up for the approaching winter (yep, it can't be that far away!).. .I believe a 50/50 mix of antifreeze/water is fine. If the coolant's been in there for some time, maybe worth a flush out and coolant change - not difficult, and worthwhile if you're going to the expense of new antifreeze.

Obviously if it's Due, or if you've no record of it, oil + oil filter change is a must. + then every 5000 miles after is my personal reccomendation. There has been lots of discussion about oil viscosities between the guys here, but generally you can't go far wrong with the 10/40 semi-synthetic stuff, especially the GMs own available from Vx dealers.

On three of the Omega's I've owned, the inner edge of the front tyres has been unevenly worn, I believe this is common, so check yours if needs be just to make sure the tracking is within limits.

If you ever do need alignment, it's best to get FOUR WHEEL ALIGNMENT done - NOT just front wheel tracking.

If you notice any "clonks" at the front when going over bumps, it's likely to be the "droplinks", which are only a few pounds to buy from ebay, and easy to change with just 2 bolts.

Any instability, or especially pulling whilst braking, is probably front wishbones, again, an eBay job, and good How2's for changing them.

There is no dipstick for checking the automatic transmission fluid (if yours is an auto), and I've never seen one seriously leak, but either way if you plan on keeping the car, it's worth checking the transmission fluid. It's pretty easy - just make sure the car is raised and totally level and you can unscrew the filler on the gearbox to check fluid level.

Although it's not designed to be changed (e.g. no drain plug) It is possible to change the automatic gearbox fluid if you're a perfectionist - it involves removing the gearbox sumps. Not a particularly hard job, but be prepared to get oil up your sleeve!!

If you notice sludge in the oil at any time, don't panic that it's a head gasket if you drive a V6 model - the headgaskets (although not indestructable) are incredibly resiliant, and it's much more likely to be an oil cooler failure. Although a bit fiddly to change, it's by no means difficult or terminal!

I've heard people complain about the Omega's being thirsty on fuel, but the honest answer is that although not fantastic, they are not horrifically bad either. Below are some honest figures I have personally achieved:

2.0 16v Auto

Around town, not being too careful:    24 mpg
On a run, putting foot down:              31mpg
On a run, being careful:                    35 mpg
On a 60mph motorway grandad run:  44mpg (yes, really - Gloucester to blackpool!)

2.5 v6 Auto

Around town, not being too careful:    22 mpg
On a run, putting foot down:              28 mpg
On a run, being careful:                    32 mpg
On a 60mph motorway grandad run:  39 mpg

3.0 v6 Auto

Around town, not being too careful:    22 mpg
On a run, putting foot down:              26 mpg
On a run, being careful:                    30 mpg
On a 60mph motorway grandad run:  34 mpg

I can't comment on a TD I'm afraid as I've never owned one, although from memory I recall mr McB obtaining 38mpg on a run.

Don't take my word as gospel, I'm starting to have a fair bit of experience in Omega ownership, and I'm a fairly confident home DIY mechanic now, but I'm *NOT* an expert.

There ARE experts on here, Laidback66 and Mark's DTM Calib in particular are the one's who spring to mind.

MartinImber is also the onboard LPG man! (I need a chat with you Martin..)

Anyway, enough of me rambling on, I hope this has given you some useful reading. Hope that we see more of you , and that you enjoy the world of Omega ownership!

Kind regards
James

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 August 2006, 07:23:30 »

Welcome to th site TDS3 [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #3 on: 08 August 2006, 08:28:24 »

Welcome on board TDS3.

As advised above, absolute priority is camnbelt and tensioners. It is a DIY job, but you do need a bit of mechanical skill and absolutely have to use a locking kit, which we have several of on the forum up for free loan.

I am on my 9th Omega now and although it has just had the cambelt done I will be redoing it myself so I know it has been done right, as it is the single most expensive component to break! (New engine basically).

Have a browse through the FAQ and Maintenance guides sections. They are very useful. Feel free to post any questions, even if they may seem silly. We don't take the micky here, just help.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 August 2006, 09:05:03 »

Excellent post and advice by James there :)

On three of the Omega's I've owned, the inner edge of the front tyres has been unevenly worn, I believe this is common, so check yours if needs be just to make sure the tracking is within limits.

If you ever do need alignment, it's best to get FOUR WHEEL ALIGNMENT done - NOT just front wheel tracking.
I would recommend a FULL GEOMETRY check, rather than the more basic 4 wheel alignment. Frequently, inside shoulder wear at the front is a camber issue...
Grumpy old man

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
  • Drives better than an Omega
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 August 2006, 09:27:18 »

Hi Craig and a big welcome [smiley=thumbup.gif] As you can see, lots of good advice and friendly banter on here.
I HAVE THE BODY OF AN 18 YEAR OLD.......I KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE!

TDS3

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 August 2006, 17:42:32 »

Yes thanks everyone, i've had 3 Volvo T5s in the past, 2 ex police T5s so the only thing that may put me off an Omega in the long run is the lack of power in comparison. But it's early days yet.  :)

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
  • .:The OmegaProject:.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 August 2006, 19:14:33 »

Welcome to the site Craig.  :)
OmegaProject.co.uk .:.  Fuelled with passion...
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/xthreezero/omegaproject/oof-sig.jpg[/IMG]

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 August 2006, 00:04:40 »

Hi Craig, welcome to the site.

Omega-v-T5?  FWD-v-RWD?  T5 may have it with raw power and more able to wheelspin if you boot it in 3rd, but the 'Meega, to me, gets the power down better and thus gets you moving quicker.  And squats down better in corners.

I have seen a T5 wolf down a set of front tyres in considerably less than 2k miles......  At least with the 'Meega, and a heavy foot, you should see 2 or 3 times that!!

B

Martin_1962

« Reply #9 on: 10 August 2006, 22:04:46 »

Hi Craig, welcome to the site.

Omega-v-T5?  FWD-v-RWD?  T5 may have it with raw power and more able to wheelspin if you boot it in 3rd, but the 'Meega, to me, gets the power down better and thus gets you moving quicker.  And squats down better in corners.

I have seen a T5 wolf down a set of front tyres in considerably less than 2k miles......  At least with the 'Meega, and a heavy foot, you should see 2 or 3 times that!!

B

I nearly had an 850 at the lights through Truro - beat it to 30 then it shot off - I was weighed down by my caravan!

Hillper

• Intermediate Member
  • Aylesbury
  • Werthers. Winter, too hard.  Summer, too soft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 August 2006, 22:21:58 »

Welcome Craig.

As you can tell, we're here to help!

And thanks for putting in the time on that writeup JamesV6CDX!
Mods.  'Hillper boot release'.  Dimming mirror.  Cruise control. Rear parking sensors.  Becker/Rockford Fosgate/Infinity/Alpine audio.

TDS3

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 August 2006, 23:04:41 »

Thanks for your help, i'm off on my hols for a week so catch you laters! 8-)

Salty

• Fleetwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 August 2006, 18:02:29 »

Welcome aboard :) and enjoy your hols
« Last Edit: 12 August 2006, 18:02:55 by salty »

Sir Sideways

• Intermediate Member
  • Sideways in Staffordshire
    • PFL 3.0 Auto Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 August 2006, 20:36:16 »

Welcome to the site buddy,

Jim

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 August 2006, 20:54:32 »

Hi m8 welcome to the forum
i had a V70 Volvo T-5 x-police then then i got my 3rd meggy ex-police i had my m8 drive the T-5 to the auction and we had a  quick go at the lights and i have 2 say my meggy beat the volvo not saying the volvo wern't quick cos it did shift and sounded luvly but it wheelspan like a pig when i used 2 floor it never put the power down like my meggy i went thru 4 pairs of tyres in the 1 year that i had it  but nothin beats a meggy ;)
« Last Edit: 12 August 2006, 20:57:34 by LSG_1 »
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 19 queries.