Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help required diagnosing steering noise  (Read 1241 times)

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
Help required diagnosing steering noise
« on: 12 February 2007, 12:31:15 »

Hey All

Okay not strictly omega  :-[

What side of the fence would you sit on this one....

Its not my MV6 - its not even my project veccy v6 2.6

...Its the wifes 2.0 veccy sri  ::)

Due an MOT in a month and i have already looked it over.

Theres lots of oil/grease call it what you want... but it aint dirt up the shocks on the front.

Its also had an occasional clunk from front drivers side.

Today however whilst on full right hand lock at low speed it gave out a very creaky slow groan. Not a clunk or cylindrical whine or any of the other bearing / shaft noises.

Could this be the horror story steering rack ( theres no vibrations, pulling, or rumbles or pulling from steering)

Personally i dont think it is the steering rack ..... and hope it isnt.

Would steering rack produce oil on the shocks ( the only car i have seen this on before was a megane which had a leaky drive shaft.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! :y
« Last Edit: 12 February 2007, 13:13:42 by Markiec »
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Help required diagnosing steering noise
« Reply #1 on: 12 February 2007, 13:50:37 »

Later Vectra steering racks did not suffer the same trouble (post 98ish)......sounds like the shocks are buggered and possibly a top bearing to.....how many miles has it done?

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 February 2007, 14:13:32 »

Later Vectra steering racks did not suffer the same trouble (post 98ish)......sounds like the shocks are buggered and possibly a top bearing to.....how many miles has it done?

92k on x plate (2000)

my initial thoughts were shocks.....specially with the oil on them think there about £30 each on tc arent they.

:-/
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 February 2007, 14:18:34 »

9118391 and 9118392...about 30 plus vat each....

At that mileage they will be well past their best anyway....

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 February 2007, 14:23:26 »

9118391 and 9118392...about 30 plus vat each....

At that mileage they will be well past their best anyway....

i'll say - ride quality - Its no omega ! Changing shocks : no major pitfalls in changing these i presume - no hidden horrors?   :-/
« Last Edit: 12 February 2007, 15:09:11 by Markiec »

familyman

• Intermediate Member
  • Sittingbourne, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 February 2007, 16:36:51 »

Hey OmegaBaron just wondering if your just changing shocks for MOT or for a proper fix/repair. Just 'cause some oil weep from shocks is okay for mot so long as damping is not affected, i.e. bounce the corner if the car keeps on bouncing then its knackared, if goes up and down once or twicw then it should be a pass with advise, creaking top mounts same applies pass with advise, to check jack car up that corner,not to high a couple of inches, with suspension hanging free, on Vectras in fact most Vx there will some up and down movement when a lever bar is placed between tyre and ground and gentle up and down movement on bar to raise and lower strut assembly,also looking for lifting in bottom ball joint. if loads of movement down to experience of mot tester but should  still be pass and advise. To check free movement raise both wheels off ground, grab one wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock and turn steering pushing at 3 o'clock and pulling at 9 o'clock then reverse action and turn steering fully the other way. If action is smooth but noisy then again pass and advise if jerky and feels like its catching check to make sure spring not broken, if okay disconnect track rod from strut and repeat steering action on the wheel. If jerkyness gone fault is in rack not strut mount.
If fault still there disconect a/roll bar drop link and repeat, if noise goes fault is in drop link and not top mount, if fault still there fault is in top mount.
Sounds long winded but doesn't take long.
But if your replacing struts anyway with that sort of mileage i would replace top mounts. If you still have castellated nuts and split pins worth replacing with nyloc nuts, that way you don't have to worry about getting old split pins out and can just crack nuts and break split pins.
Hope any of this helps m8te, i'm sure someone on this site will have more specific details for you about Veccy's :y
You came in that, your braver than i thought

familyman

• Intermediate Member
  • Sittingbourne, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 February 2007, 16:50:24 »

Sorry m8te called you Omega Baron not Markie, just i know some people get upset when called the wrong name :y
You came in that, your braver than i thought

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 February 2007, 17:53:46 »

Familyman - some invaluable info in there mate - thanks.

Its only for an mot pass - and i am pre - empting it needs shocks due to the sheer amount of leakage and noise. Plan to give it a better check over at the weekend  :y

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 February 2007, 17:54:25 »

....oh and you can call me what you want ....i've got a wife so have been called all sorts of names  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 21 queries.