Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ball-joint splitters  (Read 848 times)

bestseany

• Intermediate Member
  • Flintshire, North Wales
    • View Profile
Ball-joint splitters
« on: 13 February 2007, 09:33:44 »

What is the best type of ball-joint splitter to get, namely, one for removing the wishbones with.

Is it best to get one that looks like a chisel, and you just hit it with a hammer, or ones of those splitters that have a nut and thread that you turn with a spanner?

familyman

• Intermediate Member
  • Sittingbourne, Kent
    • View Profile
Re: Ball-joint splitters
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2007, 09:46:23 »

A really really big hammer to shock the joint:y :y :y

No seriously from a profesional point of veiw the screw type when using it if the bolt has gone eally tight and joint not popped a tap with a hammer will usually finish the job.

the problem with the fork type is that they normally end up damaging the the ball joint rubber, MOT failure follows :y
You came in that, your braver than i thought

bestseany

• Intermediate Member
  • Flintshire, North Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 February 2007, 10:02:51 »

A really really big hammer to shock the joint:y :y :y

No seriously from a profesional point of veiw the screw type when using it if the bolt has gone eally tight and joint not popped a tap with a hammer will usually finish the job.

the problem with the fork type is that they normally end up damaging the the ball joint rubber, MOT failure follows :y

Well, the wishbones would be getting replaced anyway. Does a screw type actually make the job easier than the fork type?

familyman

• Intermediate Member
  • Sittingbourne, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 February 2007, 10:10:09 »

The fork type is certainly quicker especially with a big  hammer and a good right arm just watch your thumb knuckle if you miss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The screw type would be better long term i.e. for removing track rod ends to be reused etc...  :y
You came in that, your braver than i thought

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 February 2007, 10:18:26 »

I have always used the fork type, they are more universal - with the screw type you need to have one with the right reach, height, etc so could be a pain to find the correct one for the car.

Alas, no more Omegas....

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #5 on: 13 February 2007, 13:10:00 »

despite breaking my last fork set i have since replaced with a similar but better make of the same. Forks for me  :y
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 February 2007, 13:26:20 »

well for removing track rods, use one of these - works perfectly and doesn't damage the rubber boot. An alternative is one of these, but when a mate and me tried to get the track rod out on my old miggy that one didn't work - wasn't big enough so kept coming off when you did the screw up. Ended up using the fork type and it was a major pig to remove.

I used the first type (scissor) when swapping the track rod on my current one, the scissor type did it first time in about 30 seconds, laughably easy with that  :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.