Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega Owners Club?  (Read 4752 times)

Eddy Matthews

• Thornaby, Cleveland
    • View Profile
Omega Owners Club?
« on: 13 February 2007, 22:00:27 »

Is there such a thing as an official Omega Owners Club - You know the sort of thing, you join (for a fee) and get discounted parts, a quarterly magazine etc etc....

If it doesn't exist, maybe it's the next step for the guys that run this website to consider?

Regards
Eddy

RossPhim

• Morayshire, Scotland
  • The blue oval now-a-days!?!
    • 2.2 TDCi TXS
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Owners Club?
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2007, 22:07:15 »

Eddy,
I think the general opinion of the admins is that we need shouldn't run before we can walk.
Anyway, you've joined, you'll get discounted parts from users on here, and all the free advice you need, and just read one of Ronnies posts, which is more fun than any magazine.
You'll even get stickers if you want.
Cheers
Ross
« Last Edit: 13 February 2007, 22:07:46 by RossPhim »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 February 2007, 22:12:38 »

Is there such a thing as an official Omega Owners Club - You know the sort of thing, you join (for a fee) and get discounted parts, a quarterly magazine etc etc....

If it doesn't exist, maybe it's the next step for the guys that run this website to consider?

Regards
Eddy
Considered it, but not sure what we could add. The site Admins/Mods truely believe all this info should be available for free.  Anything that could be printed in a mag can be done on the web for free.
Grumpy old man

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #3 on: 13 February 2007, 23:00:57 »

Regards
Eddy
Considered it, but not sure what we could add. The site Admins/Mods truely believe all this info should be available for free.  Anything that could be printed in a mag can be done on the web for free.

agree  :y
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 February 2007, 23:09:41 »

...we could have a secret handshake?  :o
Alas, no more Omegas....

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #5 on: 13 February 2007, 23:20:53 »

...but if it was secret how would anyone know it  :-/
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Eddy Matthews

• Thornaby, Cleveland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 February 2007, 10:30:23 »

It's sounding more and more like the freemasons!  ;D

Seriously, forums are fine in their place, but lots of people still prefer printed material - Especially when it comes to "How to" articles. The fact that we never managed to get the "Paperless office" confirms that.

I know you could print out the messages to refer to, but then you have ten ton of replies and questions, rather than just the basic article.... A magazine would solve that. Also it could be used as a source of finance for the website, allowing it to expand further. With a suitable host, space and bandwidth problems can be eliminated, so photos could be posted on THIS site rather than on a third party host, thereby giving full control over things.

Anyway, just a suggestion, and for me at least, one which should be considered every once in a while - Now may not be the time to develop the idea, but in the future perhaps?

Regards
Eddy

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 February 2007, 10:37:24 »

It's sounding more and more like the freemasons!  ;D

Seriously, forums are fine in their place, but lots of people still prefer printed material - Especially when it comes to "How to" articles. The fact that we never managed to get the "Paperless office" confirms that.

I know you could print out the messages to refer to, but then you have ten ton of replies and questions, rather than just the basic article.... A magazine would solve that. Also it could be used as a source of finance for the website, allowing it to expand further. With a suitable host, space and bandwidth problems can be eliminated, so photos could be posted on THIS site rather than on a third party host, thereby giving full control over things.

Anyway, just a suggestion, and for me at least, one which should be considered every once in a while - Now may not be the time to develop the idea, but in the future perhaps?

Regards
Eddy
It certainly hasn't been ruled out.

However, bearing in mind our views that this info should be free, charging a membership goes against the grain a little.

There are plans afoot to redo the Guides section outside of the forum, so printing off is easier, and can be laid out in a way not determined by the forum software.  I need to brush up on Apache type scripting first - my skills are in .asp and .aspx, not .php or perl etc...
Grumpy old man

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 February 2007, 10:47:37 »

I think we should also take into consideration the time and effort invested by the admins so far, in my opinion it is only fair that any future expansion or diversification should be assisted by new volunteers… we can’t ask TB, LB, AA, Mark DTM etc to simply add the production of a newsletter to their daily routine….
« Last Edit: 14 February 2007, 10:47:57 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 February 2007, 11:01:39 »

I think we should also take into consideration the time and effort invested by the admins so far, in my opinion it is only fair that any future expansion or diversification should be assisted by new volunteers… we can’t ask TB, LB, AA, Mark DTM etc to simply add the production of a newsletter to their daily routine….

I just knew you would volunteer.......picture editor? ;D
I like red cars

Eddy Matthews

• Thornaby, Cleveland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 February 2007, 11:11:08 »

I couldn't agree more!

I run two websites, and help with the running of three others, so I know just how much time they take up!! It would definately need other people to step up and volunteer their services if a newsletter/magazine was ever to get off the ground.  Anyone that did volunteer would also have to commit themselves long term, it's no good if you just want your name in lights and get tired of the work after three months...

Regards
Eddy

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 February 2007, 11:24:28 »

I just knew you would volunteer.......picture editor? ;D

No problem... but in return I want the official title of 'Global Picture Editor' and have a zilion blue stars!  >:(

;D
Alas, no more Omegas....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 February 2007, 11:47:34 »

I am not knocking the idea...

However, what can we do in a mag that cannot be done online? Online = no printing costs, no postage, low overheads.

If you start making it into a club, you have to start going down the road of committees, AGMs, Various secretaries for membership, treasurers, chairmen etc etc.

My own view is that this is where another forum tripped up...

Ultimately, is the end result worth it?

As said, not knocking the idea, so please post your views on my response above :)
Grumpy old man

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 February 2007, 11:58:36 »

...If you start making it into a club, you have to start going down the road of committees, AGMs, Various secretaries for membership, treasurers, chairmen etc etc...

'Meetings - the modern alternative to Work!'  ;D

Alas, no more Omegas....

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 February 2007, 12:37:01 »

...If you start making it into a club, you have to start going down the road of committees, AGMs, Various secretaries for membership, treasurers, chairmen etc etc...

'Meetings - the modern alternative to Work!'  ;D

Stick to the funny handshake.....
I like red cars
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 21 queries.