Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Vauxhall Signum buying advice required....  (Read 7045 times)

Scatmancraig

• Skellingthorpe, Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
Vauxhall Signum buying advice required....
« on: 13 December 2016, 08:09:24 »

Morning All,

My tired Omega is coming to the end of its current MOT, and I'm thinking of getting a possible replacement.  For reasons unknown, I seem to be drawn towards the Vauxhall Signum, particularly in 3.0 V6 CDTi flavour. 

Does anyone have any experience of these cars?  Not sure whether to go for manual or auto.  There seems to be plenty about with varying prices.  I'm also not sure whether to go for the 3.0 diesel, or the 1.9 or 2.2 diesels?  The 3.0 seems to be a massive engine for what is effectively a Vectra hatchback, so I'm guessing it ought to go pretty well, but does that particulary engine have any vices that I should be aware of? 

My other option is to try and find a really tidy 2.5TD Omega, as late a model as possible and this time manual not auto.  Whilst I love the comfort and smoothness of the auto, the difference in economy between round town and the open road is ridiculous.  I can get nearly 45mpg on a run, half that around town.  I've never known a car with such a big difference, I used to get more out of a 3.0 Senator!!
« Last Edit: 13 December 2016, 08:18:40 by Scatmancraig »

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
Re: Vauxhall Signum buying advice required....
« Reply #1 on: 13 December 2016, 14:25:47 »

I personally find them extremely ugly! Most people think it's an astra because it looks just like a stretched hatchback. Because it is. Before I would buy a signum I would just buy the equivalent vectra estate. They are basically the same car. But the vectra just looks better.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 December 2016, 14:31:12 »

The good thing about the Signum is that nobody takes a blind bit of notice of them.

I find mine very roomy and comfortable. The rear seats fold completely flat so the car makes a pretty good 'load lugger'

As already said, the Signum is a Vectra in a different frock, and I personally think it is far better looking than the Vectra......and far more rare.

I would go for petrol every time. :y The engine and fuel from a canal boat should not be put in a car.

« Last Edit: 13 December 2016, 14:36:10 by Doctor Opti »

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 December 2016, 14:51:36 »

It's definitely a personal matter. I think the signum looks like a fat golf. It seems a bit undecided in what it wants to be. A hatchback or an estate. It's one of those odd designs. But it's definitely more rare, and probably for the same reason.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 December 2016, 16:17:58 »

Ah, Craig, you've not had a smooth run in that Omega of yours, have you? I would imagine you'd never be able to stomach is, given front wheel drive, but as with anythign, have a drive, see how you like it.

The mpg will be a massive difference, I'm sure. The Omega approaching the end of its life, versus the Vectra/Signum's all-new platform it really is the next generation on... however, it's a totally different 'feel' of car.

To FL Omega owners, the interior is quite familar, but you and I stuck in the 90s it will feel like a car of the future!

As above, just have a play, see how you get on, Signums are rare, and getting rarer, but spares are plentiful.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 December 2016, 16:30:31 »

The SAAB 9-5 was also available with the Isuzu V6 Diesel.
There are reports, on the saab forums, of inadequate cooling (in the SAAB) leading to the liners dropping and causing head gasket failure. They also note that the engine seems to be OK in the Signum and surmise that the cooling is OK in the Signum.

My local VX dealer reckons that it is easier to get parts for an Omega than it is for a Signum, despite the Omega having been out of production for over 10 years
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 December 2016, 16:44:25 »

There are reports, on the saab forums, of inadequate cooling (in the SAAB) leading to the liners dropping and causing head gasket failure. They also note that the engine seems to be OK in the Signum and surmise that the cooling is OK in the Signum.

My local VX dealer reckons that it is easier to get parts for an Omega than it is for a Signum, despite the Omega having been out of production for over 10 years

That surely can only be relevant to body panels and trim as the rest of the running gear is common to loads of the Marque.

It is a more upmarket Vectra C estate at the end of the day

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 December 2016, 16:53:37 »

That surely can only be relevant to body panels and trim as the rest of the running gear is common to loads of the Marque.

That is what I thought too :-\ but he didn't go into detail, maybe the Signum specific parts (fridge anybody?) are the bits that drop off first ::)
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 December 2016, 17:13:52 »

I have heard this before and I know it was kind of opel's intention. But I just can't see it. You have to look very hard not to confuse it with an astra. Actually when they first came out and I started seeing the first ones on the streets, I thought they were one of the versions of the astra. I see nothing upmarket in it from the outside.

I think the Vectra C GTS looks much better if what you want is a big hatchback of sorts. And if you need the longer wheelbase, then the estate is much more practical.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 December 2016, 18:11:57 »

There is nothing nice to say about the Vectra-C/Signum.  What were GM thinking :(
Grumpy old man

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 December 2016, 18:39:54 »

There is nothing nice to say about the Vectra-C/Signum.  What were GM thinking :(

I do know that a Signum Elite is to a lower specification than an Omega Elite. It has some but not all of the toys.

My car is also properly quick(ish) ::) ;)
« Last Edit: 13 December 2016, 18:41:56 by Doctor Opti »

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 December 2016, 18:44:21 »

it is BUT the signum drives a little better (if that is possible) stay away from the 2.2 direct petrol
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 December 2016, 20:29:58 »

I do know that a Signum Elite is to a lower specification than an Omega Elite. It has some but not all of the toys.

My car is also properly quick(ish) ::) ;)
The earlier '53-'05 cars had much better options lists, including memory front seats and heated rears along with the same NCDC 2013/15 with Bose as the Omega ;)

But agree that if you don't need an Omega sized boot, then the Signed is the best Vectra, otherwise get the estate. And as far as engines go, the 1.8 petrol is a good all-rounder if you don't tear about.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 December 2016, 20:31:50 »

it is BUT the signum drives a little better (if that is possible) stay away from the 2.2 direct petrol
:-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 December 2016, 20:46:23 »

:-X

Did they release one as the price of those fuel pumps could write a car off
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.