Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: whooops, oh woe is me....  (Read 1055 times)

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
whooops, oh woe is me....
« on: 26 June 2012, 18:34:03 »

So......

some time ago, I got a CID and NCDC2013 pair.....   originally my late birthday treat to myself ,  after running all over with a DOA CID first....  before giving up and getting a full set....   

sad it is to report them deceased.....    possibly terminally..... 

bugger........

it's a slightly long and involved story,...

basically the CID kept cutting out and just going black,......    well, more off than black...    not black as in a screen all showing video black, but a non functional screen....       a good thump on the dash board top, just behind and above it would 4 times out of ten bring it back,  (it started as 9 times out of ten, and got worse)

so.....  having previously spliced the loom for it,  i re-did the splices,  nicely soldered and heatshrinked.....

then ,  cleaned up the contacts in the smaller black multi-pin connector..... 

then, to be sure.....     and here's where i might have goofed....    dismantled the CID and resoldered all the pins on the multi pin connectors....  (i am pretty good though,   regularly doing much denser board work , replacing soldered opamps where there's no room to cut the legs off, and so on..... )

however,   i had a bit of an accident (cat interrupts play kind of accident)  and caught one of the capacitors just by the wound component on the outer board with the back of the iron element...   while desoldering the sprung switch contacts to get the board out....

okay , no biggie,   replaced it with a similar component from my stock parts bin  (same capacitance , same basic type,  but twice the voltage rating)

all reassembled....    and put back in the car....

to my chagrin,  it then spectacularly fails to work at all.....   no amount of thumps get it going again either.....

break.......

worse still.....

now the NCDC is throwing a fit as well.....     radio only ,  no functional control from the front panel at all,  and stuck on heart FM> ARGHHHHHH

i guess it's possible i may have shorted out a wire while re-doing the splice....   frying whatever is sending video to the CID....    (radio should have been off.... but got switched on by accident as i leant across the seats to retrieve and errant screw that had fallen in to the foot well)

since his nibs is/was out of the country ,  i decided i needed a quick fix,  so transferred the Cd changer and front facia of the NCDC unit across to my old one (with  a knackered front and changer)   and reinstalled my old monochrome screen.....       and bingo it all works,.....   (yes vertical boards swapped and stuff,  )

given that i never got a pairing code with the NCDC and CID pair,   i guess they're paperweights....  but i'll give them to TB to experiment with.....        thankfully,  the units now fitted are the car's original ones,  for which i definitely DO have the codes,   so, if i one day get a replacement CID....    i'll be able to pair it up ....

frankly it's more likely i'll get an entire replacement Miggy at this rate,.....   Twiglet's is looking very nice.....    'cept i just spent my cash reserves on a bunch of replacement microphones after being stiffed by our insurers on damages to studio in a flood in january/february

i'm starting to think i may not be destined to have my ideal Omega ........  :(

« Last Edit: 26 June 2012, 18:36:34 by MaxV6 »
If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: whooops, oh woe is me....
« Reply #1 on: 28 June 2012, 20:48:51 »

Ah, thats what you rang for ;D

Sorry you caught me at a bad time - I'd lost one of the convoy in a town, and the stupid crappy portable tomtom was fast going to become a roadside object  :-[
Grumpy old man

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
Re: whooops, oh woe is me....
« Reply #2 on: 29 June 2012, 01:34:34 »

i gathered things were not going quite as smoothly as could be hoped.....    no worries mate......    we'll catch up soon....

If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 21 queries.