Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Box junction penalty notice......  (Read 916 times)

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
Box junction penalty notice......
« on: 16 December 2012, 16:10:39 »

So,  in my xmas post the other day, i get a nice one from TFL ,   wanting to fine the owner of the vehicle irrespective of who was driving it...  or why it got stuck in a box junction......   

is that legal???????

amounting prosecution of fines for offences in absentia of someone not guilty of committing said offence?????

the actual story.... 

I was actually driving,  i was merely somewhat taken aback by the clear notice on the fine that they considered the vehicle owner liable, irrespective of who drove...

now to my second issue....

in moving traffic,  with very reasonable expectation of clearing the junction,  (in my lane there was about 100 yds of empty road ahead of the 2 vehicles in front of me)  i entered the box junction, 

half way across said box junction, i got stuck,    Vehicle 1 in front,   decided to change lanes after clearing the box,   vehicle 2 simply stopped....   still on the edge of the box.... with clear road in front of him,   leaving me sat on the box,   with nowhere to go.... 

there was no reason for either vehicle in front to pull the manoeuvres they did, at the time they did,  and block the road as a result....

this is even clear on the photo supplied by transport for london...... 

if the lane had had traffic in it on the far side of the junction,  and a reasonable likelihood of NOT clearing it,   i never would have entered the Box in the first place, despite the disruption to traffic flow that would have occurred behind me....

so, do i argue the point?   and if so,  what tack to take,  ??  or cough up and say opps you very much TFL

If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
Re: Box junction penalty notice......
« Reply #1 on: 16 December 2012, 16:20:10 »

yes but the offence is entering in the box without a clear passage out...i know it was an idiot that stopped you but i would just pay up  >:(
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #2 on: 16 December 2012, 17:07:36 »

yes but the offence is entering in the box without a clear passage out...i know it was an idiot that stopped you but i would just pay up  >:(

I have to agree tbh, you could have been following a car, that broke down just as it cleared the box junction. No fault of the owner, but you would have been stuck in the box, just the same.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 December 2012, 17:59:18 »

Yep. Big brother has already assessed the situation and decided you are guilty. Futile to do anything other than just pay up. Welcome to 1984. >:(
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 December 2012, 18:11:39 »

(in my lane there was about 100 yds of empty road ahead of the 2 vehicles in front of me) i entered the box junction, 

half way across said box junction, i got stuck,    Vehicle 1 in front,   decided to change lanes after clearing the box,   vehicle 2 simply stopped....   still on the edge of the box.... with clear road in front of him,   leaving me sat on the box,   with nowhere to go.... 

so, do i argue the point?   and if so,  what tack to take,  ??  or cough up and say opps you very much TFL

Im afriad Max you broke the rules of the Box, as frustrating as it maybe, you entered the Box without your exit being clear, which is the whole idea of the rule.

No way out Im afraid, the pic they send you is a snap shot of 24 Hr Video, so any disputes then go back to playing that section of the video before and after the snapshot.

cleggy

« Reply #5 on: 16 December 2012, 18:13:58 »

Guilty as charged I'm afraid  :( :(

OOMV6

« Reply #6 on: 16 December 2012, 18:58:18 »

That's it. Pay up and lesson learnt

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 December 2012, 19:11:03 »

That's it. Pay up and lesson learnt

The lesson being to give London a wide berth, of course, especially if driving. Works for me. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 December 2012, 19:15:40 »

Box junctions. These have criss-cross yellow lines painted on the road. You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear. However, you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right, and are only stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right.
Law TSRGD regs 10(1) & 29(2)

Might be a defence .... if you wish to contest?
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 December 2012, 20:36:18 »

Box junctions. These have criss-cross yellow lines painted on the road. You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear. However, you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right, and are only stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right.
Law TSRGD regs 10(1) & 29(2)

Might be a defence .... if you wish to contest?

Only if your exit to the right is clear, ie, you destination is clear and its not blocking you from turning completely out of the Box.

The main offence is entering the Box if your exit is not clear, the only exception is, if you enter the Box with a clear exit and it becomes blocked outside of your control, ie, another vehicle suddenly changes lane and blocks your clear exit, but I dont think that was the case with the OP.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.