Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What's Your Thermostat At?  (Read 2057 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
What's Your Thermostat At?
« on: 16 December 2022, 22:07:33 »

I turned my central heating on 1st December and set the thermostat at 14 degrees to see if it was tolerable.

I'm surprised that it's still at 14 and it's OK...ish.   I wear layers and thermals, and if I get chilly I give the room a quick blast with a 2.5Kw fan heater apparently costing about 14.5p for a 10 minute blast.  I have an electric blanket on my bed and two duvets, and it's lush getting in a nice hot bed!  :y

I'm not in the heat or eat category, but I refuse to spend thousands ££££ on heating this winter which may be a tad eccentric.....  ::) 

It will however be interesting to see what my bill is at the end of the month!  :y

What are you doing?  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: What's Your Thermostat At?
« Reply #1 on: 16 December 2022, 22:12:22 »

Mine is set at 20°, and the 33kW boiler has trouble keeping the house hot all day. Oh, and I leave it on all night.  ;D
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 December 2022, 22:12:52 »

But I never made any schoolboy errors  ;D
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 December 2022, 22:21:33 »

I know people, friends as well as family, who in the past have heated single rooms or let the house get cold to save on fuel bills. Unless you have to do it, I wouldn't. When I went to get a leather jacket from dads wardrobe upstairs, it was green with mould. He slept downstairs after he lost his leg and upstairs was soaking wet with the paper peeling off the walls. If you own your property, you're doing it no favours by letting it get cold and damp.
Diesel till I die

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 December 2022, 22:34:11 »

My house is south-ish facing and on sunny days gets nice and warm.  :)

Even on the last couple of days when it's been freezing out but very sunny, I've opened the windows to ventilate so I'm not worried about mould.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 December 2022, 22:56:28 »

I suppose that we are fortunate that we can afford to use the heating when we need it. Some who are less able to are those i feel most sorry for. Must admit that we turn it off at 10pm and don the thick bath robes.  :D If it gets really cold then it will stay on all night.  Cavity wall and thick loft insulation helps to hold the heat in.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 December 2022, 23:02:00 »

I suppose that we are fortunate that we can afford to use the heating when we need it. Some who are less able to are those i feel most sorry for. Must admit that we turn it off at 10pm and don the thick bath robes.  :D If it gets really cold then it will stay on all night.  Cavity wall and thick loft insulation helps to hold the heat in.
Insulation  ::)
No wonder it's so cold out
you're keeping all that warmth to yourself if you insulate  :D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 December 2022, 08:15:10 »

I've done away with having it come on every morning before I get up. It always used to wake me up early anyway and, surprisingly, I don't miss it at all, it's just a little nippy when getting out of the shower but bearable.

So it's currently on from whenever mrs. KW gets too cold during the day until about 9 pm.

Thermostat keeps creeping up due to the heat pixie, but I set the boiler flow temperature so it can't use too much energy anyway. ;D I wonder if TheBoy could recommend a locking device to fix that?

Oh, and the log burner is getting much more use this year. That keeps the downstairs toasty in the evenings and so far all the wood has been free.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 December 2022, 08:58:11 »

The thermostat used to be set at 19 degrees now down to 17, house still nice & warm throughout, in the evening when we are in the lounge the temperature hovers between 19-21 degrees , the boiler is on timer from 07.00-09.00 AM & 17.00-21.00 PM . Next bill is due in January so will be interesting to see, glad that we moved to a newer & better insulated house in 2018 , we also.have an electric blanket first time for 5 years which is very comfortable.🔥
« Last Edit: 17 December 2022, 09:11:16 by Rangie »
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Drewomega

• Aviemore and Mallorca
    • SKODA Octavia Scout 2.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 December 2022, 10:25:11 »

You guys are lucky!! Since arriving back from Mallorca on Wednesday night late and a horrendous 2 fllights to Glasgow via Bristol then 2 buses from Glasgow to Aviemore (no trains) and no heating whatsoever in one of the buses I got home to find no water. I have bottled gas and electric convection heaters as backup. It has been around -10 since I got here. Saturday morning and still no water and of course no c/h. Fixed three burst pipes so far. I have managed to get water to the sink and that is as far as I have got. The portable electric heater I have to go under sink etc broke down last night as well. I just hope my gas boiler is ok. Bloody weather!!! Grrrr  >:( >:(
I'm always last in the office in the morning but I make up for it by leaving first.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 December 2022, 10:57:14 »

I use one of those programmable thermostats the Shitfix used to sell 20yrs ago, so the heating timer (and water) is set to 24/7, and the programmable roomstat varies between 14C overnight, 17C during weekdays if she's working at home (I override it down to 14C if she's not) and up to 19C in evening

If we have her dad over, it gets overriden to about 25C, then all the windows and doors opened when he leaves.
Grumpy old man

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 December 2022, 11:36:41 »

I’m probably in a minority here judging by previous posts but we have ours set to 22C during the day as I’m home, dropping to 16C during the night. Mrs YZ goes to work at 6.15am so the heating cuts in at 5.15am and goes to the lower setting at 11pm.
I always wear shorts and T shirt when at home and I’m not wrapping up in extra layers when I don’t need to. We do obviously turn the heating down a bit if we are both going out but we turn it back up again from our phones on the way home. Hmm, I wonder why our house is the only one in the cul-de-sac with no snow on the roof.   ::)
Having said that, I’ve just got home and it’s bloody hot in here.  ;D
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 December 2022, 11:59:38 »

I’m probably in a minority here judging by previous posts but we have ours set to 22C during the day as I’m home, dropping to 16C during the night. Mrs YZ goes to work at 6.15am so the heating cuts in at 5.15am and goes to the lower setting at 11pm.
I always wear shorts and T shirt when at home and I’m not wrapping up in extra layers when I don’t need to. We do obviously turn the heating down a bit if we are both going out but we turn it back up again from our phones on the way home. Hmm, I wonder why our house is the only one in the cul-de-sac with no snow on the roof.   ::)
With reference to being the only one with no snow on the roof: If you can afford it, flaunt it.  ;D
Diesel till I die

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 December 2022, 12:54:09 »

With reference to being the only one with no snow on the roof: If you can afford it, flaunt it.  ;D

;D

Either that, or my loft insulation isn’t as good as I thought.   ;D
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 December 2022, 13:06:41 »

I turned my central heating on 1st December and set the thermostat at 14 degrees to see if it was tolerable.

I'm surprised that it's still at 14 and it's OK...ish.   I wear layers and thermals, and if I get chilly I give the room a quick blast with a 2.5Kw fan heater apparently costing about 14.5p for a 10 minute blast. I have an electric blanket on my bed and two duvets, and it's lush getting in a nice hot bed!  :y

I'm not in the heat or eat category, but I refuse to spend thousands ££££ on heating this winter which may be a tad eccentric.....  ::) 

It will however be interesting to see what my bill is at the end of the month!  :y

What are you doing?  :)

Replace with a buxom Darzett farm girl. :)

Win..win.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.