Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What's Your Thermostat At?  (Read 2055 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: What's Your Thermostat At?
« Reply #30 on: 17 December 2022, 21:54:06 »

Thermal undies are great and really make a difference.  :y

'Cos I'm a cheapskate, mine cost about £11 from Ebay and are quite effective, but I take Don's point that a quality set would be even better. Marks & Sparks?  ???

You gets what you pay for.  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 17 December 2022, 21:54:43 »

Some interesting replies .

I've just fitted a smart thermostat onto our oil boiler which gives much more control to our CH system.
One of the unfortunate side effects of my wife's recent stroke is that her left side always "feels " cold although her body is at an equal temp. It's just an issue with her brain's calibration of the skin temp. sensors .
The smart system allows her to turn on /increase /decrease /switch off the CH system wherever she is in the house .
It's been particularly cold here recently , coldest for 11 years , so both our multi fuel stoves have been roaring recently but normally one is sufficient 
I'm burning seasoned oak that I cut and split last year along with smokeless nuggets . Real dirty coal is unobtainable here so I was concerned that the nuggets would be a waste of money but have been pleasantly surprised with their heat and burn time .
We are also using some good thermal underwear after discarding other cheaper useless items that were bought in haste ,and warm woolen throws .
Sheilagh got some all over head to toe blankety thingy with a hood but I drew the line at that .........
Generally the thermostat hovers between 19-22 but due to the use of the stoves it's on and off during the day depending how Sheilagh feels and is switched off at night as the residual heat from the stoves keep the house warm until morning.
The one great advantage is that all our heating fuels , timber,coal and oil are paid upfront so no nasty surprise bills drop through the mail.
I really feel sympathy for those that do not have that advantage .
Real cold is a miserable thing to have to endure and I'm extremely grateful that we can avoid it .
Perfectly fine until you have to answer the door to someone. :)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 17 December 2022, 22:30:04 »

I've just fitted a smart thermostat onto our oil boiler which gives much more control to our CH system.
One of the unfortunate side effects of my wife's recent stroke is that her left side always "feels " cold although her body is at an equal temp. It's just an issue with her brain's calibration of the skin temp. sensors .
The smart system allows her to turn on /increase /decrease /switch off the CH system wherever she is in the house .
It's been particularly cold here recently , coldest for 11 years , so both our multi fuel stoves have been roaring recently but normally one is sufficient 
I'm burning seasoned oak that I cut and split last year along with smokeless nuggets . Real dirty coal is unobtainable here so I was concerned that the nuggets would be a waste of money but have been pleasantly surprised with their heat and burn time .
We are also using some good thermal underwear after discarding other cheaper useless items that were bought in haste ,and warm woolen throws .
Sheilagh got some all over head to toe blankety thingy with a hood but I drew the line at that .........
Generally the thermostat hovers between 19-22 but due to the use of the stoves it's on and off during the day depending how Sheilagh feels and is switched off at night as the residual heat from the stoves keep the house warm until morning.
The one great advantage is that all our heating fuels , timber,coal and oil are paid upfront so no nasty surprise bills drop through the mail.
I really feel sympathy for those that do not have that advantage .
Real cold is a miserable thing to have to endure and I'm extremely grateful that we can avoid it .
Perfectly fine until you have to answer the door to someone. :)

Some think it's perfectly fine to go to the supermarket in their onesie!  ::)   ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 17 December 2022, 22:46:23 »

My niece got banned from her local Tesco for being improperly dressed. I believe all of the complaints came from female customers.  ;D
« Last Edit: 17 December 2022, 22:53:38 by ronnyd »

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 17 December 2022, 22:48:07 »

20 Deg especialy overnight, if the weather is mild I drop it to 15 Deg, not seen the energy bills yet. so things may change. ::)

That is when most turn it down, or off.

Are you extremely wealthy, like the old lad STMO? ::)
He must be if he can give the AA 400 plus quid. ;)

Agreed...... I believe that Skruntie hails from Rotherham, and I always thought that people from the north didn't have enough brass to rub two lard butties together. ::)

They wont be getting that amount from me, am too tight tp part with that amount of money. >:(
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 18 December 2022, 09:15:12 »

The smart system allows her to turn on /increase /decrease /switch off the CH system wherever she is in the house .?………….

We have a smart thermostat and as you say, it gives you far more control over the heating/hot water from anywhere. We have the Hive system (the choice was either Hive or Nest and Nest looked more complicated  :))  The Hive system is a very easy system to use and can be controlled from either the thermostat, voice commands or a smart phone, so you can turn the heating down when you are out and turn it back up before you get home.  :y  You can also add smart door cameras/doorbell/lights etc but we already had those so I didn’t need them. Very handy for someone with disabilities and the less mobile. Hope your wife is making progress.
« Last Edit: 18 December 2022, 09:16:51 by YZ250 »
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 18 December 2022, 12:21:52 »

Just had an email from Scottish Power about my direct debit, I currently pay £100 per month as I am £2100 in credit ( I put £1750 in to my account back in July as I didn't want to pay over £300 per month)
Having reviewed my account and my usage my next bill will be £460 & I can reduce my direct debit to £36 per month , no point if the charges are increasing again in 2023 I'd rather stay in credit.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 18 December 2022, 20:50:35 »

Just had an email from Scottish Power about my direct debit, I currently pay £100 per month as I am £2100 in credit ( I put £1750 in to my account back in July as I didn't want to pay over £300 per month)
Having reviewed my account and my usage my next bill will be £460 & I can reduce my direct debit to £36 per month , no point if the charges are increasing again in 2023 I'd rather stay in credit.
I seem to remember that Ofgem stopped the energy companies from taking excessive direct debit payments from their customers as they deemed them to be gaining interest on all the overpaid cash in their accounts. In these days of soaring bills and crap interest on savings i wonder if that's still the case? :-\

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 18 December 2022, 21:37:22 »

I seem to remember that Ofgem stopped the energy companies from taking excessive direct debit payments from their customers as they deemed them to be gaining interest on all the overpaid cash in their accounts. In these days of soaring bills and crap interest on savings i wonder if that's still the case? :-\
If I was £2100 in credit I'd be wanting some interest, not to pay more.   :o
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 28 December 2022, 09:31:28 »

Just had my energy bill this morning for gas & electric £455 last year it was £275 so around 65 percent increase,to be honest I was expecting around the £600 mark .
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 28 December 2022, 10:42:34 »

Just had my energy bill this morning for gas & electric £455 last year it was £275 so around 65 percent increase,to be honest I was expecting around the £600 mark .
Month? Quarter?
Diesel till I die

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 28 December 2022, 13:38:06 »

Month? Quarter?

Definitely the quarter Steve, I'd be very disturbed if it was for a month I'm a pensioner you know..😂

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 28 December 2022, 13:39:30 »

Month? Quarter?

Before the energy price hike the higher price above would have been annually for my parents, and they would still be in credit.  ;D  When we pulled in to their drive in the evening we would see one of them get out of their chair and turn up the thermostat and put a couple of lights on.
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 28 December 2022, 16:00:44 »

Month? Quarter?

Definitely the quarter Steve, I'd be very disturbed if it was for a month I'm a pensioner you know..😂
I reckon mine will be around the £450 a month when I come off my fix in May.
Diesel till I die
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.