Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Living in Germany  (Read 1325 times)

OOMV6

Living in Germany
« on: 02 July 2012, 21:08:46 »

Yes I too would be interested in the German man in the street view. One aspect I would be interested in is areas like repaying war debts and how the two economies were helped by "aid" after the war?  Britain for example only just finished paying back their 50 year loan to the Americans.

For what it is worth the average man in the Spanish street has zero understanding of the huge financial, social and economic impacts that WW2 had on the participating countries. I find that truly staggering but then if you ask the "ordinary man in the street" in Britain about the impact of the Spanish Civil War most wouldn't have a clue.

Following on from the points raised in this thread http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=104537.75

I can only speak from my own experiences and from what I hear from Germans here. These are not my opinions but just what has or is being said / felt and I cannot necessarily answer any specific points raised, but will try. Bigyin may or may not agree.
It has also to be borne in mind that just like any country, opinions may vary from region to region, throughout classes etc. Here, which is approx http://www.viamichelin.com/web/Cartes-plans?layers=0001&strLocid=31M21qczEwY05Ea3VOelV6TnpRPWNOaTQyTkRZeU5RPT0= will be different from somewhere in the old East Germany. Personally I am 1km from the Luxembourg border, around 50km from the Belgian border and around 40km from the French border, and less than 2 hours from NL. As a result the German mentality around here will not be shared all over the country, especially the more rural areas.
But... I do live with a German, who has spent most her life in Germany.
The old English/German thing, we have talked about. She says that the Germans, even the younger generation, still feel the repurcusions in daily life. The fact that so much horror went on in the war, with Germany being blamed, that any action today can always be compared with that. They feel embarrassed, ashamed of it. Even though it was 70 years ago, nothing to do with them, there is that built in feeling that any action of German people, Govt will be compared to times in the past.
For example. Many Germans today get peeved by the amount of money Germany gives away, in order to help other countries - Greece for e.g. And it is still going on. Germany is saying they'll give more and more to crisis countries. The people, of course, say why? Most seem to think that Merkel (or whoever is in power) cannot say no for danger of being seen to be cruel, nasty, selfish, or worst of all, compared with those Germans in the past who we'd all rather forget.
And of course the old cliches don't die. People are still quoting John Cleese from the Faulty Towers sketch before the PC brigade arrived.

It was the same when I made my own feeling known about immigration, which I believe are shared amongst quite a number. Come to our country, fine.(UK, for e.g.) Work, pay and adopt to our culture tends to be my stance. If you cannot, go home.
The Germans would like to do the same, but if they start shipping the Turks back home, even when some Turk guy might have murdered his daughter for going out with the wrong guy, they feel they cannot. Again, it would be likened to historic events.

On a lighter note. Football. Germany will not forget the 1966 World Cup final when a German goal was disallowed, even though it was over the line. Ironically the same thing happened to England when the teams met in 2010 World Cup. Germany saw it as pay-back. Why not, I suppose.

On a final note, referring to my location. I spend most of my time working in Luxembourg, which is probably has the most nationalities of people in one location (by day anyway) of anywhere. I have never experienced trouble between nationalities. I used to work in Finance in a place that had 400 employees - 27 nationalities were represented. Not an issue.

In summary, and this is my own opinion, most of the issues arise from lack of knowledge, lack of experience, just repeating what Dad used to say etc, ignorance, basically. These judgements being made by people who have not travelled to many places, not spent lots of time in the company of other cultures etc. If a person has not actually experienced something, it is impossible to make a clear judgement on a situation.
And, let's face it, who today can actually make a clear judgement on what happened in 1942?
This is obviously not an exhaustive summary by any means, but I think it covers the most significant issue.... and possible the 2nd too. ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Living in Germany
« Reply #1 on: 02 July 2012, 21:23:27 »

In summary, and this is my own opinion, most of the issues arise from lack of knowledge, lack of experience, just repeating what Dad used to say etc, ignorance, basically. These judgements being made by people who have not travelled to many places, not spent lots of time in the company of other cultures etc. If a person has not actually experienced something, it is impossible to make a clear judgement on a situation.
Precisely. The UK, maybe other places, suffer from this mentality IMHO.
Grumpy old man

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 July 2012, 23:37:59 »

Must admit I've been to Germany a couple of times on business and I've enjoyed myself while there. Dealt with a lot of German companies and they are more professional and easier to deals with, than company's in most other European nations.

All countries have history and what happened with the two World Wars will get easier with each generation. We still have problems with many countries and their attitudes, where we were the global superpower with a massive empire in the 18th, 19th and half of the 20th centuries. The US is resented now by many countries where they are currently the dominant superpower. Certain groups refer to the US and UK and big and little Satan!

I don't believe in current generations apologising for previous generation's misbehaviour. Then was then and that's how it was, now is now. I find it particularly nauseating and shallow when politicians do.

There is a lot of rivalry between the UK and Germany, where I think both sides have a grudging respect for each other.

I get of fine with most French people, but I would rather trust 100 German politicians, than trust a French one. Biggest problem in Europe is France where their politicians like to be the big bullies and try and dominate Europe, but they have never been good enough to pull off that stunt. They are the only country in the world that make a big thing of failed leaders, admirals and generals and put up statues and name roads after them, because they have never had any successful ones.  :o :o :o
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 July 2012, 23:50:22 »

Banter put to one side for a moment, most of the germans are just the same as us brits once you get a few beers down there neck.

All the sh*t that went on 70 years ago was down to some tw*t called Adolf Hitler and has sweet f**k all to do with the germans that I have ever met.

Anyway, I could never have a problem with the country who invented Warsteiner aka wobbly and Jagerschnitzel  :y :y

jonnycool

• Omega Baron
  • Merthyr Tydfil, S. Wales
  • We shag 'em, you eat 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 July 2012, 06:23:18 »

Thanks for that OOMV6, very interesting.  :y
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving probably isn't for you

cam2502

• Omega Baron
  • dumfries,scotland
    • 08 BMW 520d & 03 Saab 95
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 July 2012, 14:08:34 »

I worked in Germany in the mid nineties, roofing, firstly in Berlin and then in a town called writzen in the east near the polish border.
 I clearly remember being a tad warey as we were heading over as we had preconceived ideas that the Germans were an arrogant unfriendly bunch.  ???
Couldn't be further from the truth. They are some of the nicest kindest people I have ever met. Especially in the east, they treated us like kings, nothing was too much trouble and they always went the extra mile, and then some to help us.  :y
One German guy we worked alongside insisted on taking all of our ( 3guys) dirty clothes home with him, returned the next day washed and pressed by his wife. We invited his family, wife and 2 kids out for a meal as a big thank you ( they didn't know we were gonna pay the bill) .. Very nearly a riot when we went to pay, he insisted he would! Unbelievably generous people!  :y :y :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 July 2012, 17:26:23 »

I have been lucky enough to meet many Germans. Perhaps a little like the Scots, the accent initially comes over as brash/hash, but they are usually warm, friendly people.

Unlike an awful lot of arrogant Brits  :-[
Grumpy old man

blackviper90210

• Omega Baron
  • Bromsgrove, West Midlands
    • 03 3.2 Elite Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 July 2012, 22:59:08 »

I lived in Kindsbach & Weilerbach in the mid/late 90's.  I could not fault the locals or their Country. I had a fantastic few years living there and have the utmost respect for them.
I found them friendly and very accomodating, especially when you made the effort to speak in their language.  If I ever had the chance to move back there and stay.... I would :y
AKA - Mr Bracket

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 July 2012, 23:08:16 »

I lived in Kindsbach & Weilerbach in the mid/late 90's.  I could not fault the locals or their Country. I had a fantastic few years living there and have the utmost respect for them.
I found them friendly and very accomodating, especially when you made the effort to speak in their language.  If I ever had the chance to move back there and stay.... I would :y

Thats the main thing for me  :y

Carfix

• Malmesbury, Wiltshire
    • 1997 & 1998 Omega Elites
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 July 2012, 14:41:37 »

I regularly go on familar holidays to Germany (Berlin, Munich, Trier, Moselle valley, Rhine valley) and they have been some of the best holidays ever. Even took the Miggy back home.

The German people are friendly, they generally like the english and they like beer and football too. ;)

I even spent time living with German families on several teacher exchange programmes. Had a great time and really got to see their culture on a day-to-day basis.

I found that they are very sensitive about World War 2, Hitler, Nazis, concentration camps and the holocaust. They can't understand how the english are so preoccupied about the war. When they came over to England they were amazed about the amount of war films and documentaries on TV.

Also found they were  even more sensitive about the re-unification of East/West Germany particularly the right wing element.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.