Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Caravan Mass  (Read 7948 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Caravan Mass
« Reply #45 on: 27 March 2021, 17:03:23 »

But proper tow vehicles and their trailers have proper brakes. Which is nice  8)

Also that 8t tow car is designed to tow a 34t trailer. An Omega is not :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 27 March 2021, 17:58:13 »

From a licence perspective.

For clarity, in response to your car tailer post, that 750kg was with respect to the typical unladen weight of a heavy duty twin axle car trailer.  ;)

You would probably struggle to get a three axle trailer much under a ton unladen.

You have lost me there.
I don't recall mentioning anything relative to 750kg and the use of my car transporter ::) which is most definitely in excess of 750kg...
Any unbraked trailer has a gvw of 750kg irrespective of size, axles, weight etc.....whether you have a licence category prior to 1997, Grandfather rights or a licence since 1997. If the trailer is not braked, then that is the largest gvw of any trailer permitted to be towed irrespective of your licence. It's the trailer brakes (or lack of them) that detemines the gross weight limit in this respect. If it has brakes, then the points you mentioned are applicable where the licence conditions must be met i.e. trailers over 750kg gross with a licence issued after 1997 as long as the maw combined is less than 3500kg.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 27 March 2021, 18:14:56 »

From a licence perspective.

For clarity, in response to your car tailer post, that 750kg was with respect to the typical unladen weight of a heavy duty twin axle car trailer.  ;)

You would probably struggle to get a three axle trailer much under a ton unladen.

You have lost me there.
I don't recall mentioning anything relative to 750kg and the use of my car transporter ::) which is most definitely in excess of 750kg...
Any unbraked trailer has a gvw of 750kg irrespective of size, axles, weight etc.....whether you have a licence category prior to 1997, Grandfather rights or a licence since 1997. If the trailer is not braked, then that is the largest gvw of any trailer permitted to be towed irrespective of your licence. It's the trailer brakes (or lack of them) that detemines the gross weight limit in this respect. If it has brakes, then the points you mentioned are applicable where the licence conditions must be met i.e. trailers over 750kg gross with a licence issued after 1997 as long as the maw combined is less than 3500kg.

If you want to start something, take the above post,and put it on TNUK, then runaway and his, because it will start something,as any mention of the above does if you want to make it better mention A-frames and nose weight.
Hoof'land storeman.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 27 March 2021, 18:17:47 »

You didn't. I used it, and 500kg, as examples of the unladen weights of car trailers that I have rented locally.

If you're using heavier trailers and delivering anything heavier than an old Mini or Sprite, then the Omega is only suitable, and safe, to deliver the empty trailer.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 27 March 2021, 18:26:54 »

You didn't. I used it, and 500kg, as examples of the unladen weights of car trailers that I have rented locally.

If you're using heavier trailers and delivering anything heavier than an old Mini or Sprite, then the Omega is only suitable, and safe, to deliver the empty trailer.

That is also something you have to careful when using van based car transporters. The Citroen Relay I drove before quitting recovery was a FWD chassis cab with all aluminium rear and bed, yet didn't have the capacity to legally carry my Omega.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 27 March 2021, 18:44:38 »

That doesn't surprise me ;)

Not unusual to see 3.5t transporters empty but towing a twin axle trailer with a full size car on it... Trying to ruse their way around tachos and CPC  ::)

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 27 March 2021, 18:55:01 »

I've only ever been "pulled " once when towing I'd been to a place in Kent to collect my mates MGB GT V8 which he had bought sight unseen from New Zealand we were followed into the services at Stansted , they checked my licence + all tyres but all they were really interested in was the MGB.
« Last Edit: 27 March 2021, 18:57:03 by Rangie »
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 27 March 2021, 19:00:22 »

Been pulled in three times due to their Operator 'Traffic light' system rather than for any infringements.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 27 March 2021, 19:15:17 »

Only if you have +E on your car entitlement  ;)

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car

Licences issued from 1 January 1997

If you passed your car driving test on or after 1 January 1997 you can:

drive a car or van up to 3,500kg maximum authorised mass (MAM) towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM
    tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg

Isn't that what Andy said?

It is!  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 27 March 2021, 19:59:04 »

Only if you have +E on your car entitlement  ;)

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car

Licences issued from 1 January 1997

If you passed your car driving test on or after 1 January 1997 you can:

drive a car or van up to 3,500kg maximum authorised mass (MAM) towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM
    tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg

Isn't that what Andy said?

It is!  :y
;)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 27 March 2021, 20:38:00 »

Just watched an old Fifth Gear where Jason Plato was towing an Eterniti Genesis IB4 caravan with a Mercedes G Wagon V8 AMG. The caravans MiRO was 1860kg and he did a towing 0-60mph in 9.4 seconds.  :o ;D
And I thought the Overfinch was quick.  :D
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 27 March 2021, 20:57:03 »

Just watched an old Fifth Gear where Jason Plato was towing an Eterniti Genesis IB4 caravan with a Mercedes G Wagon V8 AMG. The caravans MiRO was 1860kg and he did a towing 0-60mph in 9.4 seconds.  :o ;D
And I thought the Overfinch was quick.  :D

I saw that ....  ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo_tP-5M1zg

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 27 March 2021, 20:57:14 »

Rubbish.
I can tow far heavier than an 'old Mini' or 'Sprite' My car trailer is a twin axle, with double 16' wheel beds (rather than the heavier flat bed) which are positioned between the axles rather than above them (as on a heavier flat bed) so the centre of gravity is low. It has an unladen weight of 740kg, and my 1970s Triumphs have an unladen weight of 23cwt (1170kg), so I am slightly above the stated permissible towing weight of 1850kg when towing those.
I accept that I am probably over on the towball nose weight, but the laden trailer sits well; only slightly lower at the nose than the tail, but this is preferable for stability purposes. The outfit is very stable when laden.
The 85% suggested towing weight by the CC is only a a guide and was suggested way back when vehicles towing cabilities were a lot less - 100% is quite acceptable with more modern vehicles.
The Omega is one of the best tow cars I've had; however the Range Rover is the absolute king of towing vehicles I've had experience of,  but some 4WD SUV's have laughable towing capabilities....
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 27 March 2021, 21:02:04 »

The Omega is one of the best tow cars I've had; however the Range Rover is the absolute king of towing vehicles I've had experience of,  but some 4WD SUV's have laughable towing capabilities....
I towed a large single axle caravan miles with my Omega. The same caravan was then towed with my R Class .... a piece of cake. The ML though makes towing my 1865kg twin a dream .... obviously you know it's there, but it does it effortlessly. It has a gross train weight of around 6500kg ......   ;) ;)

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 27 March 2021, 21:12:20 »

I've used a Granada ,Omega, Hyundai Terracan Nissan Patrol & now the Range Rover to tow caravans the RR for me has been the best of all of them.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.