Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: landrover dico help  (Read 4229 times)

paul.lovejoy

• Omega Baron
  • Ramsgate Kent
    • wife mad 2.6 cd estate
    • View Profile
landrover dico help
« on: 18 April 2013, 18:25:23 »

may suprise wifey she would love a disco and having owned several fourtuatley both new so i know nothing about problems with them as they get older.

i was hoping to get a td5 up to a bout 3K value is there anything to really look out for and avoid etc oh yes and it would have to be an auto unfourtunatley. or do you think its a bad idea for that sort of money,  wifey also likes the hyundia santa fee which i have been told is quite sound ???

any advice please thanks

albitz

Re: landrover dico help
« Reply #1 on: 18 April 2013, 18:33:51 »

Whats a Dico ?  :-\ ::) :P :D ;D

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 April 2013, 18:40:51 »

may suprise wifey she would love a disco and having owned several fourtuatley both new so i know nothing about problems with them as they get older.

i was hoping to get a td5 up to a bout 3K value is there anything to really look out for and avoid etc oh yes and it would have to be an auto unfourtunatley. or do you think its a bad idea for that sort of money,  wifey also likes the hyundia santa fee which i have been told is quite sound ???

any advice please thanks

paul just like an omega...timing belt change on diesels...petrol as a chain...oh and rust a d2 can rust and once you have checked for rust check again....they rust better than a disco 1
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

paul.lovejoy

• Omega Baron
  • Ramsgate Kent
    • wife mad 2.6 cd estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 April 2013, 18:43:01 »

Whats a Dico ?  :-\ ::) :P :D ;D

its what i would drive you should know me by now ;D ;D ;D

paul.lovejoy

• Omega Baron
  • Ramsgate Kent
    • wife mad 2.6 cd estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 April 2013, 18:45:44 »

i was going to go for this one but wifey does not like the snorkel ffs
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-LAND-ROVER-DISCOVERY-TD5-GS-RED-AUTOMATIC-/271187890408

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 April 2013, 19:06:18 »

any advice please thanks

paul just like an omega...timing belt change on diesels...petrol as a chain...oh and rust a d2 can rust and once you have checked for rust check again....they rust better than a disco 1

They do indeed rust but not in the same way as the older Disco's,its the rear end of the chassis legs that mainly rot out.The body and boot floors especially seem much better protected,My Disco 2 is a 99 model and the body is totally rot free,I have treated the chassis as best I can and that's ok as well at the moment but I know it will go eventually :'(
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

doz

• Omega Knight
  • Southampton
  • LC,GSi Carlton,Omega Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 April 2013, 19:17:38 »

Looked at loads until I decided to buy a P38. I really suggest you drive the T5 with the slushbox. It's a bit slow not quite as bad the old 6 cylinder BMW veg burner. Honestly for the MPG difference don't discount a V8 on gas. Decoding Landy's is a pain. Disco 1's need a completely different system. (ECU mate is the cheapest). Disco 2's will let you use a basic OBD reader but if you want to go deeper and look at the other systems like brakes ABS your need a different system again. So you end up looking at Hawkeye or Black box solutions. Once you get your head round that it's a simple enough system. They have problems like every other car maker however parts are cheap. Worth checking the sun roofs don't leak, the family get a cob on when their head gets wet!!!!
If you have to ask you wouldn't understand

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 April 2013, 19:23:18 »

Looked at loads until I decided to buy a P38. I really suggest you drive the T5 with the slushbox. It's a bit slow not quite as bad the old 6 cylinder BMW veg burner. Honestly for the MPG difference don't discount a V8 on gas. Decoding Landy's is a pain. Disco 1's need a completely different system. (ECU mate is the cheapest). Disco 2's will let you use a basic OBD reader but if you want to go deeper and look at the other systems like brakes ABS your need a different system again. So you end up looking at Hawkeye or Black box solutions. Once you get your head round that it's a simple enough system. They have problems like every other car maker however parts are cheap. Worth checking the sun roofs don't leak, the family get a cob on when their head gets wet!!!!

Tell me about it,one of my first jobs was headliner out and sunroofs out and re-bonded :-X
other rides 

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #8 on: 18 April 2013, 19:27:03 »

Apart from the usual body rot and chassis as has been said before :-

Check Chassis and box sections for rust and accident repairs
Check for Leaking sunroofs
Check for Water getting in above the rear door.
Check Air suspension, Is it sitting level?
Does the air compressor come on at start-up?
Check for leaks at the bottom of the suspension air bags
Check for Smoke, Look for blue oil smoke, black diesel smoke (overfueling), heavy black diesel smoke (failing turbocharger) or white smoke on starting (water in the bores)
check steering (bushes tend to wear out)
Check for Coolant leaks, Td5 water pumps can leak, causing coolant level to drop, then overheating occurs....
Check ACE (Active Cornering Enhancement) pipes for corrosion. Can be seen behind the off-side front wheel (very costly to put right)
Check all warning lights including abs/hdc/tc lights on the dash come on AND EXTINGUISH once started, if not then there's  hub sensor problems

paul.lovejoy

• Omega Baron
  • Ramsgate Kent
    • wife mad 2.6 cd estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 April 2013, 19:34:25 »

better write this lot down..cheers chaps :y

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 April 2013, 20:58:54 »

Apart from the usual body rot and chassis as has been said before :-

Check Chassis and box sections for rust and accident repairs
Check for Leaking sunroofs
Check for Water getting in above the rear door.
Check Air suspension, Is it sitting level?
Does the air compressor come on at start-up?
Check for leaks at the bottom of the suspension air bags
Check for Smoke, Look for blue oil smoke, black diesel smoke (overfueling), heavy black diesel smoke (failing turbocharger) or white smoke on starting (water in the bores)
check steering (bushes tend to wear out)
Check for Coolant leaks, Td5 water pumps can leak, causing coolant level to drop, then overheating occurs....
Check ACE (Active Cornering Enhancement) pipes for corrosion. Can be seen behind the off-side front wheel (very costly to put right)
Check all warning lights including abs/hdc/tc lights on the dash come on AND EXTINGUISH once started, if not then there's  hub sensor problems

And don't forget the really shit fuel economy,oh hang on,thats just mine being a V8 :-X
other rides 

doz

• Omega Knight
  • Southampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 April 2013, 21:09:58 »

They are super crap on Petrol. Only way is LPG and then don't expect more 12-14 MPG (3.9 lump later ones maybe better) My 4.6 P38 Rangy slaughters my 3.9 disco in the MPG stakes. I got 20 MPG coming back from Exmoor on petrol. That was sticking to 70 with some silliness coming out of the roundabouts. For a big car it does get down the road quickly. Luckily I now have the LPG kit up and running so hopefully 17 MPG on gas should be doable.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 April 2013, 21:12:50 »

They are super crap on Petrol. Only way is LPG and then don't expect more 12-14 MPG (3.9 lump later ones maybe better) My 4.6 P38 Rangy slaughters my 3.9 disco in the MPG stakes. I got 20 MPG coming back from Exmoor on petrol. That was sticking to 70 with some silliness coming out of the roundabouts. For a big car it does get down the road quickly. Luckily I now have the LPG kit up and running so hopefully 17 MPG on gas should be doable.

Mines manual and on petrol and does 16-17 around locally doing school run etc,only does about 100 miles a week so not too bothered really,got the Signum for the longer faster runs :y
other rides 

paul.lovejoy

• Omega Baron
  • Ramsgate Kent
    • wife mad 2.6 cd estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 April 2013, 21:21:16 »

but they do sound good :y :y

doz

• Omega Knight
  • Southampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 April 2013, 21:29:52 »

but they do sound good :y :y

Oh yes and blipping the throttle at traffic lights is compulsory to get that body rock going  ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.