Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: landrover dico help  (Read 4231 times)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
Re: landrover dico help
« Reply #15 on: 18 April 2013, 21:36:26 »

but they do sound good :y :y

Oh yes and blipping the throttle at traffic lights is compulsory to get that body rock going  ;)wallet squeaking

fixed that for you :D ;D
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 April 2013, 22:17:15 »

Apart from the usual body rot and chassis as has been said before :-

Check Chassis and box sections for rust and accident repairs
Check for Leaking sunroofs
Check for Water getting in above the rear door.
Check Air suspension, Is it sitting level?
Does the air compressor come on at start-up?
Check for leaks at the bottom of the suspension air bags
Check for Smoke, Look for blue oil smoke, black diesel smoke (overfueling), heavy black diesel smoke (failing turbocharger) or white smoke on starting (water in the bores)
check steering (bushes tend to wear out)
Check for Coolant leaks, Td5 water pumps can leak, causing coolant level to drop, then overheating occurs....
Check ACE (Active Cornering Enhancement) pipes for corrosion. Can be seen behind the off-side front wheel (very costly to put right)
Check all warning lights including abs/hdc/tc lights on the dash come on AND EXTINGUISH once started, if not then there's  hub sensor problems

I wish my Jeep had something like that......... ::) ::)

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 April 2013, 22:20:07 »

I have a Disco II Td5 auto which I was going to sell. That was until the gearbox blew up.

I also have a Disco 1, but the later car is by far the better. My advice is as follows.

Don't by a diesel. Just have done with the extra fuel use of the V8.

Disco 1 rots everywhere. Disco II rots hardly anywhere.

The air suspension and ACE are the key things to have, but they can be unreliable, so be prepared.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 April 2013, 22:35:13 »

My disco 2 has had the ace system disabled and uprated anti roll bars fitted as the cost of pipe replacement as well as distribution block was prohibitive. Not in my ownership, I hasten to add, but by the previous farmer owner who put the car into the main dealer (where I work) for all repairs.

Check also for leaking fuel pressure regulator on the td5 (rear drivers side of block) which drips down onto the starter. This subsequently causes starter solenoid probs but is a cheap repair. Look for kits on eBay.

A few horses available to be unleashed by egr bypass, cat removal and centre box removal. Also tweaking turbo boost but that gets costly.

And look for rust. Not as bad body wise as D1 but chassis does rot. As does D1. :-)

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 April 2013, 22:46:08 »

My disco 2 has had the ace system disabled and uprated anti roll bars fitted as the cost of pipe replacement as well as distribution block was prohibitive. Not in my ownership, I hasten to add, but by the previous farmer owner who put the car into the main dealer (where I work) for all repairs.

Check also for leaking fuel pressure regulator on the td5 (rear drivers side of block) which drips down onto the starter. This subsequently causes starter solenoid probs but is a cheap repair. Look for kits on eBay.

A few horses available to be unleashed by egr bypass, cat removal and centre box removal. Also tweaking turbo boost but that gets costly.

And look for rust. Not as bad body wise as D1 but chassis does rot. As does D1. :-)

not just the chassis either...the floor is a big rust area and as bad as a d1...have 2 friends that both have d2 one as owned his since new 56,000 miles from new,MOT failure due too excessive rot in the floor,and the other needs a new chassis section.....own a lardy become good friends with a welder :y
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #20 on: 18 April 2013, 23:53:00 »

Buy a Hyundai ,the santa fe is a good value for money 4x4 my brother has run one for years ,totally trouble free,I have a Terracan which is superb.

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19 April 2013, 00:00:03 »

Buy a Hyundai ,the santa fe is a good value for money 4x4 my brother has run one for years ,totally trouble free,I have a Terracan which is superb.

Or go for some class and Merc engine and gearbox and buy a Jeep, mind, to be honest, only if you don't have to drive on many twisty roads, they do roll a bit...... ::) :( ::)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 April 2013, 00:02:14 »

Or go for some class and Merc engine and gearbox and buy a Jeep, mind, to be honest, if you don't have to drive on many twisty roads, they do roll a bit...... ::) :( ::)

And we are back to a Disco with ACE fitted,they do handle rather well :y ;D
other rides 

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 April 2013, 00:10:19 »

Or go for some class and Merc engine and gearbox and buy a Jeep, mind, to be honest, if you don't have to drive on many twisty roads, they do roll a bit...... ::) :( ::)

Possibly, maybe I need to be looking at anti roll bars for the Jeep, looked a the disco (ex series LR owner) but they are more agricultural than the Jeep...... :) :)

paul.lovejoy

• Omega Baron
  • Ramsgate Kent
    • wife mad 2.6 cd estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 19 April 2013, 00:27:34 »

thanks everyone so basically what we are saying is going to be expensive :'( :'(

I personaly love the old disco never quite liked the new version as much sure they are very good but never got to try one lost all my money before i was able to :'( :'( well i didnt but sure my ex business partners doing very well in newzealand >:( >:( blah blah

so a 4x4 on a budget cheap ish to fix fairly sort of economical must be able to get possibly 2 giraffe type greyhounds in the boot, has to be automatic, and a solid handle to hang on to on the passanger side would be an advantage, Wifey likes the santa fee newlook nice but this would be old still supposed to be quite solid so i have been told

any suggestions or should i stick with looking at a disco

doz

• Omega Knight
  • Southampton
  • LC,GSi Carlton,Omega Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 19 April 2013, 00:47:54 »

By a P38. Have every luxury known to man and do lots of reading on what goes wrong!!!!! TBH because the P38 and Disco have suffered problems most issues can now be fixed very cheaply. Take the air suspension on my P38 I've just brought. People will tell you how it will go wrong yet the price of the air bags these days is no more than the price of a quality pair of shocks. Once you get your head around how it all works it isn't to bad. I'd stay clear of anything which has had the EAS removed and conventional springs fitted. As for the engines and transmissions it comes down to how well they have been serviced. If you buy a snotter then it will go wrong but that is the same of any make. As for running costs. If you buy any other make I can't see you getting bits cheaper than you can for a Landy. 
If you have to ask you wouldn't understand

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 19 April 2013, 09:31:01 »

Possibly, maybe I need to be looking at anti roll bars for the Jeep, looked a the disco (ex series LR owner) but they are more agricultural than the Jeep...... :) :)

really ???,mine is the ES model with electric everything,wood and leather
other rides 

Bixy1

• Intermediate Member
  • Leeds. West Yorks.
  • Hanging by a thread . . .
    • Diesel Vectra eventually.
    • View Profile
    • Cats Tails
« Reply #27 on: 19 April 2013, 12:08:38 »

Series 11 TD5 is better than the Series 1 though I find the rear doors are quite narrow for elderly people to get in and out of. Series 111 addresses this but more expensive to buy. Mpg is the same as my Miggy so no change there. Go for it, nice motors and they are built from girders.  :y
Cats Tails (The Adventures of Rommy and Reemy)
http://sbpra.com/derektmorgan

2boxerdogs

« Reply #28 on: 19 April 2013, 21:37:48 »

Forget Land Rovers , too many problems much better 4x4s out there ,I have had Nissans, Toyota & now Hyundai no problems with any of them.

doz

• Omega Knight
  • Southampton
  • LC,GSi Carlton,Omega Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 19 April 2013, 21:41:48 »

Forget Land Rovers , too many problems much better 4x4s out there ,I have had Nissans, Toyota & now Hyundai no problems with any of them.

and when they break they cost a fek'n shed load to fix
If you have to ask you wouldn't understand
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 18 queries.