Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery Charging ?  (Read 3341 times)

omega3000

Re: Battery Charging ?
« Reply #30 on: 05 March 2014, 22:11:08 »

Fully charged now  :y Only took 3 1/2 days  ;)

after being inspires by this thread, i decided to put an old battery i found in my garage on a trickle charge for a few days to see it it takes charge......................think i need to get out more.

;D ;D

This optimate. Is it a bike battery charger?

It is , had it years when i had the bikes  :y
I don't know enough about electrics to know, but I would of thought a bike battery charger would not be man enough, as bike batteries are less than 1/8th the size of a car battery.

Might explain the charge rate. ..?

Yes , its only a trickle charge designed to be hooked up to the battery when you take it off but it does desulphate and condition the battery . Me dads Toyota battery went flat as hes not been using his car for weeks and its re charged his battery in about 8 hrs  :)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 05 March 2014, 22:12:10 »

Glad you reminded me ...... I've had the Smart on charge with an ordinary charge since yesterday, just been out to unplug it   :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 05 March 2014, 22:13:51 »

Yes , its only a trickle charge designed to be hooked up to the battery when you take it off but it does desulphate and condition the battery . Me dads Toyota battery went flat as hes not been using his car for weeks and its re charged his battery in about 8 hrs  :)

I find that the cheapo Aldi 'smart' charger can't charge a battery from flat ....... I need to start the charge off with a not-so-smart normal charger.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 05 March 2014, 22:17:20 »

I find that the cheapo Aldi 'smart' charger can't charge a battery from flat ....... I need to start the charge off with a not-so-smart normal charger.

Quite normal for a "smart" charger, as they analyse the back EMF to decide exactly what they are going to do ... a really flat battery has no back EMF so gives no feedback to the charger, it then assumes the battery is faulty and won't charge it. A hour or two on an oldfashioned charger puts enough oomph into the battery for the smart charger to actually understand what its doing ...maybe not quite as "smart" as the advertising blurb suggests ... but once working they are good  .. :)

omega3000

« Reply #34 on: 05 March 2014, 22:19:14 »

Ive recovered quite a few batteries now but they have been motorcycle batteries , but its recovered 2 car batteries now  :) Had the Optimate about 10 years now and its paid for itself .. Dad got quoted £120 for a new battery , now he dont need one  :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 05 March 2014, 22:20:30 »

.... but once working they are good  .. :)

I've a couple of them, one for general use & another wired in directly to my caravan battery to charge it while on my drive at home.  :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 06 March 2014, 08:25:18 »

Fully charged now  :y Only took 3 1/2 days  ;)

after being inspires by this thread, i decided to put an old battery i found in my garage on a trickle charge for a few days to see it it takes charge......................think i need to get out more.

;D ;D

This optimate. Is it a bike battery charger?

It is , had it years when i had the bikes  :y
I don't know enough about electrics to know, but I would of thought a bike battery charger would not be man enough, as bike batteries are less than 1/8th the size of a car battery.

Might explain the charge rate. ..?

In which case either the battery has issues or it wasnt flat.

Sounds like it has issues in reality and is down on capacity

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 06 March 2014, 09:12:04 »

Battery may be charged now, but leave it alone in the cold for a few days, then remeasure it, good chance if its dropped well below 12.6v its shagged anyway.

You can recover some old batteries, have managed a few that were past there best, using an Old Fashion Charger and a Courtesy lamp in series with the Battery when slow charging for a few days, but the ones that do come back to life generally dont live very long afterwards anyway. 

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 06 March 2014, 19:51:33 »

My Ctek always said that whilst it would maintain a car battery, it wouldn't be able to charge it from flat. Optimate is the same sort of thing.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.