Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Self levelling dampers  (Read 894 times)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Self levelling dampers
« on: 26 November 2010, 20:08:27 »

I was sorting out and adjusting the handbrake for an MOT today and I've noticed the offside shock absorber looks like it has a slight oil leak at the bottom of the rubber gaitor.

My question is where the are self levelling air shock absorbers, do they contain any damping fluid and this is a slight leak or do they just use air and I've got nothing to worry about?
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

feeutfo

Re: Self levelling dampers
« Reply #1 on: 27 November 2010, 08:32:07 »

The air bladders are built round the top of the shock, these don't normally fail afaik.

Oil loss, as with any shock, is an mot fail. Symptoms with these are banging over large bumps as the rear wheels leave the ground due to loss off damping. A job normally carried out by the oil in the shock.

Replace.  Only available from vx £300 retail or £150 with a trade club card for a pair. Or if self levelling is not needed fit stock shocks and pull the relay in the cabin fuse box. But self levelling springs are very soft, ESP without the air assistance.

Big_Roger

• Intermediate Member
  • Southampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 November 2010, 12:55:37 »

Hi,
Those were the self levelling dampers that you were looking at. Levelling part built into damper

You may just pass MOT with slight oil misting, but generally any oil loss on dampers is a fail.

Certainly on an estate I would be replacing with same self levelling dampers. Should only replace as a pair. Only available as Vx part. No aftermarket versions available.

Estate part No: 72119085   On TC £173.85 inc VAT per pair.

Saloon is different part No

HTH
Roger
Be patient ! Something else will go wrong for you to fix if you wait long enough !!

feeutfo

« Reply #3 on: 27 November 2010, 14:34:52 »

Or pm Andyc on here for tc prices/mail order :y

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 November 2010, 16:00:43 »

Rechecked shock absorber this afternoon while fitting new handbrake shoes, rubbed dirt away from the bottom of the shock absorber and got a big spray of fluid where it has rusted through!!  :( :(

I will replace with self levelling as I do use the estate as a load carrier, so I'm going to need to get a trade card from autobahnstormers. Does anybody know if it is valid for use at my local Vx Dealer, Fox in Camberley, if not, where is the nearest? If I get application form and postal order to join autobahnstormers in the post tomorrow how long will it take to get the membership and trade card as I've been working hard on my car for the last month to try to get back on the road for the 1st December, so I really want to get it sorted the week.

Looking in the Haynes manual and the OOF guide they don't look too bad to change.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 November 2010, 16:09:58 »

Looking in the Haynes manual and the OOF guide they don't look too bad to change.

probably a 1 spanner job  :y  :y

Big_Roger

• Intermediate Member
  • Southampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 November 2010, 16:24:35 »

Hi,
My Autobahnstormers card didn't take very long to come.

Not all dealers will accept them.

Just a bit of a sod to remove bottom fixing from suspension arm sometimes. Good pry or crow bar needed.

When you fit them, fit the bottom first, then hold the top rod (2 flats on spindle) as you tighten the top nut to make sure you do not twist the top in relation to the bottom of the damper.
Not a problem on "normal" shocks, but you need to mind not to twist the line up of the pneumatic rubber collar of the self levelling part.

HTH
Roger 
Be patient ! Something else will go wrong for you to fix if you wait long enough !!

djac

• Intermediate Member
  • West Sussex
    • 2001/Y Omega 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 November 2010, 13:21:33 »

Rechecked shock absorber this afternoon while fitting new handbrake shoes, rubbed dirt away from the bottom of the shock absorber and got a big spray of fluid where it has rusted through!!  :( :(

I will replace with self levelling as I do use the estate as a load carrier, so I'm going to need to get a trade card from autobahnstormers. Does anybody know if it is valid for use at my local Vx Dealer, Fox in Camberley, if not, where is the nearest? If I get application form and postal order to join autobahnstormers in the post tomorrow how long will it take to get the membership and trade card as I've been working hard on my car for the last month to try to get back on the road for the 1st December, so I really want to get it sorted the week.

Did mine earlier this year. I didn't even need to take the wheels off.

Undo top nut.

Jack up car slightly to give a clear view of the air hose attachment point, disconnect hose (secured with a clip).

Undo bottom bolt, tap bottom of shock alternately from front and back to free it from the trailing arm recess.

Fitting is reverse of removal as it so often says in our favourite car maintenance guide  :y - except without any need for the hammer - hopefully...

My new shocks came with new rubber mounts for the top, but I had to retrieve the metal cups and spacer tube from my old shocks - with a hammer!  :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.