Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: fuel pump relay - is it on all the time?  (Read 1536 times)

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
fuel pump relay - is it on all the time?
« on: 24 June 2017, 13:43:51 »

i have a duff fuel pump relay.  temporarily can I just hot wire it and disconnect the hot wire when I switch off the ignition?  i.e. when working normally, does  the relay run all the time the ignition is on or does it switch on and off as the pump is required? thanks

i should add this is the passenger side one of the the two purple relays in the engine bay - variously described on OOF as fuel pump relay or injector relay (drivers side one being variously described as fuel pump relay or engine management relay.  is this diagram the correct version? http://oldsite.omegaowners.com//forum/YaBB.pl?num=1176542235
« Last Edit: 24 June 2017, 13:49:39 by migmog »

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
Re: fuel pump relay - is it on all the time?
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2017, 13:59:35 »

i have a duff fuel pump relay.  temporarily can I just hot wire it and disconnect the hot wire when I switch off the ignition?  i.e. when working normally, does  the relay run all the time the ignition is on or does it switch on and off as the pump is required? thanks

i should add this is the passenger side one of the the two purple relays in the engine bay - variously described on OOF as fuel pump relay or injector relay (drivers side one being variously described as fuel pump relay or engine management relay.  is this diagram the correct version? http://oldsite.omegaowners.com//forum/YaBB.pl?num=1176542235

Pump runs all the time that the engine is running and when cranking over,will just give a very brief buzz when ignition first  turned on
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2017, 15:37:09 »

It's worth bearing in mind that the fuel pump relay is what switches off the flow of fuel if you have an accident.

Might as well just fit a new relay. I don't think they are anything exotic so any auto electrical place or even Halfrauds will have something that'll fit.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2017, 15:56:05 »

yes i will fit new relay this is just a temporary measure. 

the relay is standard and simple, should cost about £2 new. however the 30A spade pins are large and fatter than standard 30A.   vaux want £30 I think though they don't answer their phones on a saturday after noon >:(. second hand ones seem to be about £6.  I could bodge solder a standard relay into the fitting but for £6 I'll order a used one.

meantime have placed a small spring clamp over the solenoid which I remove when removing the ignition key. :y I don't plan on crashing it between now and the used one arriving but hopefully a crash serious enough to damage the fuel lines would knock off a spring clip faster than switching off the ignition.;)
« Last Edit: 24 June 2017, 15:59:29 by migmog »

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2017, 16:31:14 »

Hi. Reading this with interest. Is this your running issues with it stalling solved ?

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 June 2017, 16:53:13 »

Hi. Reading this with interest. Is this your running issues with it stalling solved ?

hope so :)

i didn't expect it to be the relay as originally the fault was intermittent but on investigation it is the windings that have failed and I can imagine they would first fail when hot (first stall was in hot weather and traffic with air con on full), then work again when cooled down a bit.  recently it failed completely. Siemens coil - bloody OEM kit ;)   

Now have 4 working crank sensors (one genuine Bosch) and one genuine Bosch spare fuel pump :y 

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 June 2017, 10:59:04 »

just to clarify i am pretty sure that this is the injector relay not the fuel pump one.  both oof and haynes sometimes confuse the two but mostly they say the one most on the passenger side is the injector relay.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 June 2017, 11:05:15 »

I'm guessing the relay is something like this:

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/product.php/647/12v-70-amp-high-current-relay

Not sure why they've used such a high current one for the fuel pump, TBH.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 June 2017, 11:26:13 »

yes looks like that.  both the fuel pump relay and the injector relay are identical, same part number, both purple.  both 30amp.  I am pretty sure this 40a one would fit

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192225638193
« Last Edit: 25 June 2017, 11:29:14 by migmog »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.