Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Driving to ski resort  (Read 938 times)

The Cambelt Kid

• Derby
    • View Profile
Driving to ski resort
« on: 08 December 2007, 22:10:15 »

Guys,

Any of you any advice on driving to the french alps for a spot of skiing?  Anyone done it before?

I've never driven on foreign soil, but am not afraid to either, but driving a RWD car up into the alps does worry me a little.  Should i cut the crap and catch a flight or drive across and enjoy the trip on the way?

I know someone who owns a shed in La Plagne and thought it'd be nice to drive over in my V6 and not pay for flights or accomodation, just pay for food and bierre...  8-)

Cheers
Marc
[size=18]Project LP6 has landed![/size]
[size=12]DIY LPG now finally complete!! Whoo hoo.[/size]

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
Re: Driving to ski resort
« Reply #1 on: 08 December 2007, 22:13:36 »

Buy some snow chains and go for it :y
Retired

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 December 2007, 22:16:37 »

Snow chains and a good service (and an AA card and a mobile.... ;D)

Go for it!!

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • Mercedes E class 350 CDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 December 2007, 22:17:33 »

Guys,

Any of you any advice on driving to the french alps for a spot of skiing?  Anyone done it before?

I've never driven on foreign soil, but am not afraid to either, but driving a RWD car up into the alps does worry me a little.  Should i cut the crap and catch a flight or drive across and enjoy the trip on the way?

I know someone who owns a shed in La Plagne and thought it'd be nice to drive over in my V6 and not pay for flights or accomodation, just pay for food and bierre...  8-)

Cheers
Marc

Drove to Morzine in the Alps this summer. Driving in France was a lot easier than over here, much less traffic. Not sure about driving in the snow, I should take some chains..

Crazydad

• Omega Baron
  • Germany
    • 2.5 V6 facelift
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 December 2007, 22:18:08 »

Yes go for it, the drive is well worth it spectacular sights to see on the way :y :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 December 2007, 22:27:53 »

Driving in France is a breeze. Much better roads than ours and little traffic. The Gendarmes can be a bit zealous with "foreigners" so keep the speed sensible and an eye out. Other than that, set the cruise and relax. Oh, and start saving for the motorway tolls. ;D

As for ski resorts it depends on recent weather I guess. I'm sure after a dump of snow it gets very difficult but all the resorts are served by coaches bringing tourists in and out so they do keep the roads pretty clear. Snow chains are certainly advisable if not compulsory in places this time of year. Have a set in the boot just in case, along with plenty of weight and the usual kit in case you get stuck in the cold.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 December 2007, 22:33:02 »

i've driven down to the south of france, a really enjoyable drive and the Alps do make for fantastic scenery.

A set of snow chains would be essential as would be AA/RAC membership.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 December 2007, 22:34:41 »

i took a Senator up some moderate Alpine roads in the dry...

French motorways are great, very fast in the dry smooth roads. Spray can be a big problem in the wet though.

Roundabouts take a bit of getting used to, going around the wrong way felt a bit strange!

Alpine roads are great, although can be very narrow at times! - Take out some European breakdown cover, i paid £70 for a years cover.

Can't say much about driving in the winter, but make sure your legal, you need to take warning triangle, hi vis jackets and so on...

The Cambelt Kid

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 December 2007, 22:38:54 »

Yay sounds good!

Forgot about the snow chains... we don't have that much bad snow these days, well not while i've been driving, so never crossed my mind.

Be interested to know how much the tolls cost, if this runs into 3 figures then it might be easier to fly.

google maps says it's about 12 hours from the midlands, does this sound about right?  I might do the 12 hours straight, or swap 1/2 way with another driver.

Cheers

[size=18]Project LP6 has landed![/size]
[size=12]DIY LPG now finally complete!! Whoo hoo.[/size]

Baron Von Spongebob

• Omega Baron
  • South Wales
  • Living the dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 December 2007, 22:52:57 »

Go down through Lux and Strasbourg then Bern and miss most of the tolls.
Enjoy yourself its easy driving in Europe.  :y
Is the world ready for me..

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 December 2007, 23:01:51 »

Fill up in Luxembourg too :y Petrol's dirt cheap.

I'd say that route will be a bit more congested, but cheaper. Can't remember what we paid to get down to Italy through France but it wasn't into 3 figures (pounds). Might have been close in euros.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • Mercedes E class 350 CDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 December 2007, 23:34:45 »

Yay sounds good!

Forgot about the snow chains... we don't have that much bad snow these days, well not while i've been driving, so never crossed my mind.

Be interested to know how much the tolls cost, if this runs into 3 figures then it might be easier to fly.

google maps says it's about 12 hours from the midlands, does this sound about right?  I might do the 12 hours straight, or swap 1/2 way with another driver.

Cheers

Tolls to Morzine cost about 60 Euros. Ferry cost about £80 return. With 4 in the car it worked out a bit cheaper than flying and less stressful,  no hanging about at airports, suggest you swap over driving a bit more often, we changed about every 3 hours. Takes about the same time as flying.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.