Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aaaand my first question about the Honda engine  (Read 1097 times)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
Aaaand my first question about the Honda engine
« on: 01 March 2022, 20:17:28 »

Popped a MAF code tonight.
The MAF is fitted on the back of the air filter box
Obviously checked the box before I handed over any money and the filter was clean which coincided with the service just carried out a few thousand ago.
Just removed the filter and the back of the box is pretty dirty with oily soot and bearing in mind its dark and all I had was a torch on the phone, The MAF looks like its got a oil film on it.
Can these be cleaned safely or are they overly sensitive like the omegas and die if touched ?? 

Just emailed the garage I bought it off and I await details of the 3 month warranty its supposed to have.

Even though the car has pretty much full service history, the car has been drove like miss daisy for years by its old past owners.
It was pretty choked up when I started the journey home but cleared up very well with very little smoke under any throttle conditions by the time I had got it down the M62 and home.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Re: Aaaand my first question about the Honda engine
« Reply #1 on: 01 March 2022, 21:18:48 »

You don't need to worry about the warranty. Consumer Rights act gives you the right to a repair or replacement of goods 6 months from purchase.

You also have the right to return it in the first 30 days if there's a fault. The garage would fight you like hell on that one though  ;D.

Don't let them palm you off to the warranty company unless you prefer to deal with them

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 March 2022, 22:26:41 »

You don't need to worry about the warranty. Consumer Rights act gives you the right to a repair or replacement of goods 6 months from purchase.

You also have the right to return it in the first 30 days if there's a fault. The garage would fight you like hell on that one though  ;D.

Don't let them palm you off to the warranty company unless you prefer to deal with them

Even on a 13 years old car ?

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 March 2022, 23:03:06 »

Is it upset that you gave it an Italian Tune Up on the way home Mr Gonads?   ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 March 2022, 23:27:00 »

Even on a 13 years old car ?

Yes. New and second hand cars are treated the same. As long as the dealer was operating as a business and you bought it as a consumer (ie not through your own company or similar).

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 March 2022, 07:31:43 »

Is it upset that you gave it an Italian Tune Up on the way home Mr Gonads?   ;D

Just a little  ;D ;D

Felt a vibration at full throttle while at motorway speeds coming home.
Thought it was just freeing its self off but it’s starting to tug a little going around corners.
Did a bit of research and it tuns out they eat drive shafts if a cv bolt gets damaged which this car had one as a advisory.  :(

Going to clean up the EGR and oily bits then take it for a slightly gentler ride on Sunday.
A least when I get this dongle thingy I can read live data so that will give me a better idea of what’s going on.
It does rev much easier after the little Italian tune up though  :D

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 March 2022, 09:39:43 »

I'd clean the MAF with spray MAF cleaner/contact cleaner/brake cleaner or IPA but not physically touch or rub it. If it doesn't work - well it wasn't working before. I've always had success cleaning MAF's and never a failure.

On your CV joint the test is to drive the car on full lock right then left if it clicks then the CV joint has play and needs replacing. If the CV boot has split and not been replaced promptly then that will be the cause of the CV joint failure.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 March 2022, 12:59:41 »

As you have a warranty and as Jim points out you have consumer protection as well, don't leave any evidence if you start tinkering!  ;)

Deniable black ops only!  :D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 March 2022, 12:08:42 »

I'd clean the MAF with spray MAF cleaner/contact cleaner/brake cleaner or IPA but not physically touch or rub it. If it doesn't work - well it wasn't working before. I've always had success cleaning MAF's and never a failure.

On your CV joint the test is to drive the car on full lock right then left if it clicks then the CV joint has play and needs replacing. If the CV boot has split and not been replaced promptly then that will be the cause of the CV joint failure.

Did that, drive to see Skeggy to see if the van had fallen apart and give the CR-V a run.
Car is rattle free, smoother and did 39 mpg (fill / fill method, A roads - motorway) which isn't too bad for a car which was choked up a week ago  :-\

Still not happy about this vibration at speed when I boot it though .............   Had a word with my MOT man but he is not willing to write a report on it even for appropriate sheckles.
The idiots at the garage I bought it from still ain't replying to my calls / emails ref the so called 3 month warranty so it looks like its the consumer rights route.
How do I go about initiating that ?  Trading Standards ??

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 March 2022, 12:33:52 »

LBA or Letter before action to the garage, recorded delivery with signature on receipt. If they don't respond, go down the legal route. But remember, they do have the option to repair.

This lot are a knowledgeable bunch:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/motoring
Diesel till I die

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 March 2022, 12:39:38 »

LBA or Letter before action to the garage, recorded delivery with signature on receipt. If they don't respond, go down the legal route. But remember, they do have the option to repair.

This lot are a knowledgeable bunch:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/motoring

Off to work
I'll have a gander later  :) :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.