Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting tyre in snow discovery  (Read 4335 times)

05omegav6

Interesting tyre in snow discovery
« on: 11 March 2013, 21:24:33 »

Goodyear Efficienctgrip 205/55/16 - 0

Runway Enduro 235/45/17 - 1

I know that the Goodyears are the wrong size, fitted on car when I bought it last week ::)

Spun the car at end of the road, so turned it back around again, went home and put my 17"s back on.

Surprise, surprise I got to work with no problem  8)

40th rated tyre in some irrelevant test they might be, but here in the real world...

cem_devecioglu

Re: Interesting tyre in snow discovery
« Reply #1 on: 11 March 2013, 21:28:11 »

no worries efficient grip is 50th  ;D

seriously its so down in list I even dont bother counting ;D :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 March 2013, 21:36:01 »

i never contribute to tyre threads cos i dont know anything about the differences in types, performance etc

BUT

i've only ever fitted budget tyres. never had a problem. do you guys drive like nutters or something?  ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #3 on: 11 March 2013, 21:38:48 »

i never contribute to tyre threads cos i dont know anything about the differences in types, performance etc

BUT

i've only ever fitted budget tyres. never had a problem. do you guys drive like nutters or something?  ;D

I do :-\

and you can easily predict from tyre threads who does also ;D

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 March 2013, 21:42:54 »

BUT

I do :-\

and you can easily predict from tyre threads who does also ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 March 2013, 21:46:01 »

Is this list based on personal or verified expereince of these tyres on Omegas?
Grumpy old man

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #6 on: 11 March 2013, 21:48:55 »

it was a test list I shared long time ago in OOF and you spit at it as usual ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 March 2013, 21:50:30 »

But was is a list based on personal or verified experience of these tyres on Omegas?
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #8 on: 11 March 2013, 21:50:56 »

I think the disaster with sc5 's prove the point, that what wins a tyre test, will not always work here, on the cars we use. Our experiences are clearly very different.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #9 on: 11 March 2013, 21:53:00 »

But was is a list based on personal or verified experience of these tyres on Omegas?

no one bothers to make a test on omegas..  and if you want to continue the same debate I'm off..

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #10 on: 11 March 2013, 22:01:18 »

I think the disaster with sc5 's prove the point, that what wins a tyre test, will not always work here, on the cars we use. Our experiences are clearly very different.

sc5 is a summer tyre .. dont know if more explanation is necessary or not.. but I tried to explain in another thread.. and ignored as usual..

feeutfo

« Reply #11 on: 11 March 2013, 22:02:39 »

no one bothers to make a test on omegas..  and if you want to continue the same debate I'm off..
But what use are tests on the wrong car though...? Manufacturers have tyre makers produce tyres specific to their car, or at least find ones that work best on their car. This proves the right car is highly relevant.
« Last Edit: 11 March 2013, 22:04:26 by chrisgixer »

feeutfo

« Reply #12 on: 11 March 2013, 22:03:48 »

sc5 is a summer tyre .. dont know if more explanation is necessary or not.. but I tried to explain in another thread.. and ignored as usual..
I drive that car last year, can't remember the temp exactly, but above 10 c I'm almost certain.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #13 on: 11 March 2013, 22:34:38 »

But what use are tests on the wrong car though...? Manufacturers have tyre makers produce tyres specific to their car, or at least find ones that work best on their car. This proves the right car is highly relevant.

ok.. you know the antibiotics that cure you first developed and tested on animals..  and one can easily claim animals are different with this logic :)

feeutfo

« Reply #14 on: 11 March 2013, 22:37:50 »

ok.. you know the antibiotics that cure you first developed and tested on animals..  and one can easily claim animals are different with this logic :)
And, what experience do you have of the tyres being recommended, or otherwise, on here? :)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #15 on: 11 March 2013, 22:43:12 »

And, what experience do you have of the tyres being recommended, or otherwise, on here? :)

I have enough experience on many cars and tyres as  I bought for people.. and I repeat your omega is not special ..

if you dont accept the tyre tests , its your problem..  go on ,try testing yourself..

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 March 2013, 22:49:25 »

Goodyear Efficienctgrip 205/55/16 - 0

Runway Enduro 235/45/17 - 1

I know that the Goodyears are the wrong size, fitted on car when I bought it last week ::)

Spun the car at end of the road, so turned it back around again, went home and put my 17"s back on.

Surprise, surprise I got to work with no problem  8)

40th rated tyre in some irrelevant test they might be, but here in the real world...

Got to admit, they're pretty good unless you're being a idiot :-[ ::)

I'm sure proper winter tyres would give better performance on these rare days there is actually snow and ice, although I highly doubt they would have worked on the surfaces I had issues on today ::) Managed to get the front wheels straight ahead and off the brakes with everything gathered up before I would have hit the curb though :y Think a snow pile actually stopped me in time as not convinced I'd applied the on switch in reverse before we stopped :-\ But (again) I was driving like a idiot :-[

It was enough to wake me up that there was now ice under the virgin snow that hadn't been there an hour previously though ::) Which made it more fun (deliberately) sliding down the road :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

feeutfo

« Reply #17 on: 11 March 2013, 22:55:52 »

I have enough experience on many cars and tyres as  I bought for people.. and I repeat your omega is not special ..

if you dont accept the tyre tests , its your problem..  go on ,try testing yourself..

personal experience I mean. We have a thread for varifying tyres as ok for omega. You post up, hopefully someone else can prove the tyres are ok with you at the time, that the basic requirement of minimal tramlining is achieved.
 That way, people can read the thread and decide on reliable members post with first hand experience of that exact tyre.

Eagle F1 are rated highly. :y
(Again, hopefully we can get to the bottom of SMD'S issues)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #18 on: 11 March 2013, 23:28:01 »

personal experience I mean. We have a thread for varifying tyres as ok for omega. You post up, hopefully someone else can prove the tyres are ok with you at the time, that the basic requirement of minimal tramlining is achieved.
 That way, people can read the thread and decide on reliable members post with first hand experience of that exact tyre.

ı'm sure it will tramline on your car, yours doesnt accept something other than conti MO :D ;D

feeutfo

« Reply #19 on: 11 March 2013, 23:52:12 »

ı'm sure it will tramline on your car, yours doesnt accept something other than conti MO :D ;D
Feel free to recomend tyres there, must be verified though, probably by someone else here, given your location. And absolutely must be from your own personal experience on an omega. :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12 March 2013, 18:49:01 »

Thats why we have to work out ourselves what works on Omegas and what doesn't, because nobody else does :y

We have proven that tyre tests done on other cars have no bearing on how that same tyre reacts/performs on our Omegas, so they are only misleading to us  :'(.

Personally, I was hoping we would be able to discover a pattern, but I don't think we ever will now as people are too entrenched in their views, and it just ends in arguments. Maybe we never would anyway.
Grumpy old man

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #21 on: 12 March 2013, 18:57:59 »

Thats why we have to work out ourselves what works on Omegas and what doesn't, because nobody else does :y

We have proven that tyre tests done on other cars have no bearing on how that same tyre reacts/performs on our Omegas, so they are only misleading to us  :'( .

Personally, I was hoping we would be able to discover a pattern, but I don't think we ever will now as people are too entrenched in their views, and it just ends in arguments. Maybe we never would anyway.

you have proven your 700 bucks fly out the window ;D :y

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12 March 2013, 19:06:50 »

We have proven that tyre tests done on other cars have no bearing on how that same tyre reacts/performs on our Omegas, so they are only misleading to us  :'( .

I don't really think it's a laughing matter.....

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #23 on: 12 March 2013, 19:22:36 »

its a joke.. is it forbidden ???

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 March 2013, 19:24:13 »

Sorry, must have mis-interpreted. Spending money isn't something I joke about personally.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #25 on: 12 March 2013, 19:29:17 »

Sorry, must have mis-interpreted. Spending money isn't something I joke about personally.

all of us spend on tyres and also on many other things .. thats how the cars stay on the road.. do you know how much I spend only on winter tyres just to find a proper tyre in last 10 years ? let me tell you .. enough to buy 4-5 miggies in UK.. (and  also my friends tried many models in parallel)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #26 on: 12 March 2013, 19:34:16 »

and to add I shared all my info here for free and some spit on the info just because I'm foreign.. but thats enough..

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 12 March 2013, 19:57:22 »

and to add I shared all my info here for free and some spit on the info just because I'm foreign.. but thats enough..
Please PM me anyone who has, the Admin Team and I will come down on them like a tonne of bricks.

If I'm on that list, and I suspect I am  >:(, then you are mistaken, I have "spit on the info", as you put it, because you have never said this experience is on Omegas. However, if I am on that list, please send a PM to Hotel21, Marks DTM Calib or Auto Addict :y
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 12 March 2013, 20:27:58 »

do you know how much I spend only on winter tyres just to find a proper tyre in last 10 years ? let me tell you .. enough to buy 4-5 miggies in UK.. (and  also my friends tried many models in parallel)

But surely you just used the info in tests so that you didn't have to experiment? :-X ::)

I sincerely hope not >:( :'( The majority of info I have seen from you is from google/tyre tests which, as we keep saying, have now been proven to be a load of rubbish when it comes to the Omega after TB's very expensive mistake in trusting the reviews and buying a top rated tyre that is scarily poor! ;)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 12 March 2013, 20:40:04 »

Just because some folk don't agree with what you've written it doesn't mean you have been "spit on",just means others have different views to you thats all. :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #30 on: 12 March 2013, 20:48:22 »

Please PM me anyone who has, the Admin Team and I will come down on them like a tonne of bricks.

If I'm on that list, and I suspect I am  >:( , then you are mistaken, I have "spit on the info", as you put it, because you have never said this experience is on Omegas. However, if I am on that list, please send a PM to Hotel21, Marks DTM Calib or Auto Addict :y

thanks for the offer but not necessary now :y

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #31 on: 12 March 2013, 21:10:36 »

do you know how much I spend only on winter tyres just to find a proper tyre in last 10 years ? let me tell you .. enough to buy 4-5 miggies in UK.. (and  also my friends tried many models in parallel)

But surely you just used the info in tests so that you didn't have to experiment? :-X ::)

I sincerely hope not >:( :'( The majority of info I have seen from you is from google/tyre tests which, as we keep saying, have now been proven to be a load of rubbish when it comes to the Omega after TB's very expensive mistake in trusting the reviews and buying a top rated tyre that is scarily poor! ;)

Lazydocker, tests are tests .. :)

I use the test info all times so I can avoid many models ..  As I have written before (in our discussions) for me to try a tyre, tests are a "good starting point"..( please dont say all test results are a load of rubbish.. there are many serious test organizations which spend loads of money on them... )   also I ask people but unfortunately they dont buy most expensive models.. so sometimes I gamble but never bought/experienced a test winner lemon.. :)

as for TB , although we push him/joke , its too early to say he has made a mistake.. wait for summer time and then test them on a track and compare times, brake distances etc..

and as for tramlining,  it will always be there hidden or visible but will show its head when the conditions met..

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 12 March 2013, 21:24:35 »

I use the test info all times so I can avoid many models ..  As I have written before (in our discussions) for me to try a tyre, tests are a "good starting point"..( please dont say all test results are a load of rubbish.. there are many serious test organizations which spend loads of money on them... )   also I ask people but unfortunately they dont buy most expensive models.. so sometimes I gamble but never bought/experienced a test winner lemon.. :)

as for TB , although we push him/joke , its too early to say he has made a mistake.. wait for summer time and then test them on a track and compare times, brake distances etc..

and as for tramlining,  it will always be there hidden or visible but will show its head when the conditions met..

That takes my comments out of context ;) I said "...when it comes to the Omega" ;)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #33 on: 12 March 2013, 21:36:01 »

That takes my comments out of context ;) I said "...when it comes to the Omega" ;)

and I said before Omega is an ordinary rwd car with 4 wheels with mcphearson struts etc etc :) :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 12 March 2013, 22:22:05 »

and I said before Omega is an ordinary rwd car with 4 wheels with mcphearson struts etc etc :) :y

And the tests are mostly done with FWD shitboxes... Not seen any with RWD Luxury cars used ::) ::) ::)

Anyway... Can't be bothered with having the same discussion over and over... We'll have to agree to disagree :y

feeutfo

« Reply #35 on: 12 March 2013, 22:30:50 »

...that has a problem we need to avoid. Comparing to another car, or test has been proven to be unhelpful. Arguing that it has or hasn't been proved doesn't help. We need to understand where its going wrong.
 We've all been on here long enough to see all the legends and myths to know, from experience, that not all of the reasons apply to omega. We need to find the faults with this car/tyre combo.
 We all have access to google cem. That only helps up to a point. We also have access to a forum that has potential to examine the problem in far finer detail. It is a clue that when googling an issue, google leads to this forum, more often than not.

Nobody is spitting at foreigners. Just struggling with frustrations at continual deviation from a logical course that is difficult enough already. The fact that £700 waisted on tyres is amusing, somehow, is not on. Something I had to suffer with Falkens. It is NOT amusing.
We've seen zero advance on what we know on OOF re this problem via google and tests.
Wheels in motion struggle with this issue, what chance do we have? Even less chance when to problem is diluted. Focus, narrow down the field, dismiss irrelevant info.

We need omegas, tyres, logic.

An omega can go from one steering wheel correction, over a half mile straight, to over 50 corrections, ( way more on sc5) just by changing the wheels shod with different tyres.

We've understood omega set up, omega chassis faults, omega tyres sizes. Next up, tyre load ratings. From personal experience. IMHO of course. :)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #36 on: 12 March 2013, 23:00:57 »

It is a clue that when googling an issue, google leads to this forum, more often than not.

[devil mode on]

if you write "omega" you will find omega owners forum.. obviously ;D

and if you write "tramlining  omega" you will find Chris ;D
[devil mode off]

05omegav6

« Reply #37 on: 12 March 2013, 23:07:35 »

Back to my original post ::)

I got home again in one piece too :y

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
  • 2008 BMW E61 535D LCi M Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 13 March 2013, 15:10:20 »

Back to my original post ::)

I got home again in one piece too :y

And that's what's important Al.  :y
It doesn't matter how far you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 13 March 2013, 21:41:54 »

Chris, you are taking a logical scientific approach to understand what works on and what doesn't through a process of elimination and personally I think it is to be commended as it helps all of us to choose a safe tyre in a price band we can afford.

I had a brown trousers moment with sc3s a few years a go really taking a dislike to the deep ridges caused by lorries on the Bracknell to Lightw'ater dual carriageway. The Avons I have at the moment tram line more as they wear.

There is also the question as to how much does wear affects stability and performance. I had a nasty incident on my GPZ1100 a few years a go where the rear tyre was at about 2-2.5mm, where I managed to induce a nasty weave on the long sweeping curve from the M4 onto the A329M, I tried to power through it but it got worse and I had to straighten up and brake hard before I ran out of road. A new tyre completely cured the problem.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 3.376 seconds with 19 queries.