Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: *ahem*-com code reader  (Read 1866 times)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
*ahem*-com code reader
« on: 04 June 2015, 15:31:56 »

Dirty word, so I understand, however... a friend of a friend got rid of his Veccy GSi, but still keeping his *ahem*-com and offered me use of it at some point. Without going into things I can quite easily break (I gather people have had ECUs destroyed by cheap n cheerful code readers, yes?) what sort of things can I do with this - safely. I can google the 'h"My Naff Code Reader"' and get plenty of marketing-blurb, but I ask here as I'll get a straight answer.

edit: straight as rubber boomerang.  :D
« Last Edit: 04 June 2015, 15:33:27 by Diamond Black Geezer »
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
Re: *ahem*-com code reader
« Reply #1 on: 04 June 2015, 15:35:06 »

Live data is useful, as is reading codes and turning lights off, but pretty much any ELM327 can do that with 'Torque' App or similar installed onto a Smartphone.

I used to use it a lot, but find taking the laptop out to the car a ball-ache now, so just use the phone instead.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 June 2015, 15:38:49 »

There handy for code reading on pre 2001 cars (odb2) which yours is, just dont start practicing your programming skills with it, as in 'I wonder what this does'

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 June 2015, 15:41:54 »

Haha. Nooo, warning heeded  ;) Wasn't in any way interested in actually buggering about 'changing' anything. I watched one (a cheap n perfectly legal, I suppose) one of a laptop plugged in a dn fans spooled up, shut off, and some live data shown. I find it hugely interesting, but know nothing of it/them. In spite of my extreme youth I'm still very much a 'oily, nuts n bolts' engineering type, not a 'plug it in and click some buttons' type home mechanic
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 June 2015, 15:51:19 »

Elm327 and Torque etc require OBD compliance, and only read the engine. The code reader discussed gives access to ALL the systems, on all our cars and makes efficient diagnosis much more likely.

For instance, when my ABS&TC warning lights came on, but the Speedo was still working, "My Naff Code Reader" reported two faults relating to the valve block. This meant I didn't waste any time checking the wheel sensors etc, or struggle to remove only the ECU for testing/repair. I sourced a replacement ECU/block and fitting it cured the problem.

As a clone is only about £20, it makes perfect sense to own one. I am wary about using it for programming though.

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2015, 16:05:42 »

Is a good cheap code reader. It will allow certain adjustments and changes to be made.

I've used mine for...
Live data read
ECU Read/clear
Airbag Read/clear
Programmed immob chips

The one menu that has always caused me problems has been the ABS/TC option. There isn't one there for the 2.6 Vectra, but there is for the Omega. I tried the Omega one on the Vectra and promptly ended up with no ABS or TC and lights to tell me so. I am led to believe it 'wipes' the data. Less learned.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 June 2015, 16:26:03 »

Wow, didn't know it did chips, ok  :) (still most likely be paying for the services of MarksDTM for that) but nevertheless interesting to know.  :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 June 2015, 18:59:41 »

If you get the legal, original, they appear to be not too bad, but too bloody expensive.

The cheap Chinese clones are suitable for plain code reading only, with limited live data.  Definitely avoid any programming, including keys.

Somebody who should know better has gone and shagged their Corsa by trying to do some ECU reconfiguration, and now can't start it.  So I have to pop over the weekend to see if it can be recovered. The silly tit was previously warned not to use the PoS for programming, but didn't want to bung me £20, so now is at the mercy of whatever I want to charge, if I can be arsed.  I quoted him £200 in the hope he'd say no, but he's now desperate as he can't get the car to a dealer.

From knackered immobilisers and alarms that have been ruined with Chinese copies, I have about a 2/3rds success rate in recovering them.

I truly would urge not using it for anything other than code reading and live data (that its poor at anyway)
Grumpy old man

The Sheriff

« Reply #8 on: 04 June 2015, 19:28:05 »

Even if they were any good at reconfiguration which, apparently, they are not, they would have to be in the right hands.
Reprogramming a factory-set electronic unit could, I imagine, cause you a whole world of pain. Fiddling with one parameter usually has a knock on effect with others.
Leave it to the people who can (bus)  :)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 June 2015, 23:06:41 »

yes indeed  :) I can only repeat, I have no intention of doing anything other than code reading. To be honest, i wouldn't even shell out a ten pound note on buying one, its simply because I've been offered free use of one.

When we say 'reprogramming', I'm assuming it'd be safe to physically clear old stored fault codes? Given Pissy may have literally years an yearsworth stored it makes any form of diagnosis harder if i do need to go paperclipping one evening  :)

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 June 2015, 23:13:19 »

Live data, code clearing and testing actuators like the multi ram works for me.  :y

Never tried (and won't try) programming though.
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 June 2015, 09:08:04 »

When we say 'reprogramming', I'm assuming it'd be safe to physically clear old stored fault codes?
Yes, it seems robust at doing that. I've not personally seen or even heard of problems with reading codes, reading live data (other than its slow) and clearing codes :y

Grumpy old man

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 June 2015, 09:15:12 »

Nice. To be honest I was most interested in having a 'clean sheet' re: codes. It's a bit annoying when I do the paperclip test and after 15 minutes I'm still reading codes haha. So nice to start a fresh.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 June 2015, 09:19:55 »

Nice. To be honest I was most interested in having a 'clean sheet' re: codes. It's a bit annoying when I do the paperclip test and after 15 minutes I'm still reading codes haha. So nice to start a fresh.
There are a few ECUs it can't read, so you may not get a perfectly clean car, but it can do most of the running gear ECUs in Omegas.
Grumpy old man

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 June 2015, 09:44:35 »

Cheers, will still be using the Tech2 services of yourself or Mr DTM... have messaged him enquiring, but nothing back yet. Reason is I'm visiting a mate in Nottingham next month, so would ideally like to combine the two.  :)

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.