Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... 50   Go Down

Author Topic: Ok, I can officially put this 0-60 'dangle berries' to rest  (Read 114332 times)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: Ok, I can officially put this 0-60 'dangle berries' to rest
« Reply #570 on: 29 October 2015, 09:28:31 »

I had this idea a while back, given that the gearchange is effectively just a switch, and so converting the steering wheel radio buttons to turn into a kind of tiptronic gearchange, (nice idea, chronic ar5e to do it in practice  ::) ) however, the fact that the box will only change up when it wants to, as said above, '2' gives you choice of only 1 and 2, and so on... (contrary to popular belief, you don't just chuck an auto gearbox into 'D' and forget, you are supposed hold gears if required anticipating the road conditions ahead, saying ...

"Ahoi-hoi, there apears to be a hill, I'll wager my fine automobile shall attempt to change up a gear just as we start on this veritable incline, then realise we're on a hill, then change back down, and again, down another gear to aid acceleration. Well, bless my soul, that would be most unfortuitous, I should prefer to remain in this gear for the time being, lest my journey to the top hat emporium be lengthened."

or words to that effect  ;) :D

Of course no-one does, and in reality autoboxes, especially the most modern ones have so many gears and are so quick to react to changing engine stress levels that you never notice you're temporarily in the wrong gear.

Given AR25s aren't worth a damn penny, have you considered getting a spare box, higher mileage, no fluid change, etc... but using it as a sacrificial box, so ragging the nuts off it, take it to 4k or whatever before releasing the brake, and basically hurting it criminally, to get the best acceleration, knowing it's only going in the bin at the end of the day. That's what any Auto maker does anyway for 0-60 tests. The car they use for the 0-60 doesn't exactly go in the museum as a minter, they're ragged to death.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: 29 October 2015, 18:36:54 »

thanks for that DBG... tiptronic omega  :o you may be on to summat mate!!  :y

I'm still a touch confused (apologies) why you couldn't start off from 1, hold until the red line, change to 2, hold that til the red line etc etc? but anyways ill bow to everyones superior knowledge on the subject  ;D

is it entirely possible that to get a better time all I needed to do was to be more abusive to my gearbox and hold it at higher revs when ''brake torquing'' or whatever its called???? I think I did approx. 2000-2500.

if that's the case then my only option is to do what you say DBG and get a spare box!!!

but just before that are we as a group POSITIVE that wear in the gearbox wouldn't affect acceleration? cos I'm going to bet me ballsif I looked in the pan the magnet would have some ''build up'' on it! lol
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: 29 October 2015, 18:49:08 »

And one other thing while I think of it and I cant remember if I mentioned it  ::).........

I do have an exhaust leak at the fannymould but ONLY on start up. after a few mins of running its gone and the car runs sweet. I trust that because the heat is obviously ''closing up the leak'' then an exhaust manifold leak shouldn't be considered when looking for problems as the leak goes when its warmed up and that's when I do all my testing. agreed???
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: 30 October 2015, 15:21:00 »

Right, put simply, yes, holding the gears will enable the car to rev to literally the rev limiter, and won't change up. (unless, as has been suggested, in etreme case the box will actually protect itself and change up anyway)

but

that's what sport mode does anyway. It changes up at the point of peak power, that's why it's designed, and what it's designed for. Don't forget that the box invariably takes a second to change up anyway, so even if you do wait until the optimum, perfect time to change up a gear, I'd have thought you'll knock the lever...one....two....then the box will change up. At that point I'd surmise you're probably at the rev limiter, anyway, and dropped of the peak of the power curve. I would simply love to try this on my car but, well, no.  :D Perhaps on the 2.0litre ex-taxi I just bought for the panels, but I won't be punishing my poor old girl like that any time soon, hehe.

However, no-one knows anything until someone tries, and experiments, so hence my thoughts about a 'sacrificial' gearbox. Enabling you to try such things.

Sport mode makes, in theory the perfect time to change up. As I say, though, feel free to experiment with holding the gears manually, just do it on a gearbox you don't need to get you to work every day  :y Also another thought, as you mention the magnet in the 'box... worth perhaps cleaning the magnet completely, then ragging the box, then upon you finishing/the box exploding, re-check the magnet. Be interesting to see how much has been 'filed' off the gears in the tests.

Also, do the manifold leak; however, this should't be affecting your times, in my personal opinion. 
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: 30 October 2015, 16:14:38 »

A company called Race logic in the late 80's used to make a aftermarket kit for iirc, BMW's which tapped into the gearboxes ecu and gave you the option of manually shifting your slushbox via 2 buttons on the steering wheel  :-\

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: 01 November 2015, 18:15:33 »

Ok, I now feel able to explain the gearbox issue (sorry been more concerned about me cam belt)

Anyways I was with the apprentice picking a car up and I drove in my car. He asked me to floor it so I did. It felt like it dropped one cog and was disappointing. I did it again and it did that satisfying girding of the loins and flew!

Now. Both times were around 40mph. So why would the car react different each time?

Obviously this is on an aside to the 0-60 dash. But perhaps is a clue in to a potential gearbox issue?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: 01 November 2015, 23:12:16 »

Ok, I now feel able to explain the gearbox issue (sorry been more concerned about me cam belt)

Anyways I was with the apprentice picking a car up and I drove in my car. He asked me to floor it so I did. It felt like it dropped one cog and was disappointing. I did it again and it did that satisfying girding of the loins and flew!

Now. Both times were around 40mph. So why would the car react different each time?

Obviously this is on an aside to the 0-60 dash. But perhaps is a clue in to a potential gearbox issue?

The Transmission ECU is adaptive, so it will learn how you have driven and for certain parameters, it'll adapt to that driving style.  The second time you dropped the hammer, the car knew you wanted it to sit-up-and-beg.

Other things affect gearchange too, such as incline of the road.  Sadly, it's not an 'exact science'.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: 02 November 2015, 08:18:22 »

I've had it many a time myself.

To be honest I wish it stayed in 'rally mode' all the time, as sometimes you do want to just go nuts for a few seconds only, but when you floor it you get nothing, just a bit more noise. It can be very disappointing, to be honest. But, as said by Broomies, once the car 'knows your intentions' (and don't forget the sport button, that's crucial, otherwise you're not going above 3krpm, and cant access any of the power) you'll be fine.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: 02 November 2015, 11:10:32 »

Thanks guys. both times were with the sport button on. but basically this happens sometimes on all of them and is perfectly normal?

as you say dbg..I want it in rally mode all the time  ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: 02 November 2015, 11:24:48 »

Unfortunately, I am spending more money on petrol than I am on food, at present. Daft as it sounds, given I choose to drive a 19 year old 2.5 V6 car, but I'm trying to get the best economy I can, of late.

Being run into & fighting to get even a reasonable sum from the insurers, several big bills, a few (unpaid) sick days off work is crippling me a bit lately. I've got a set of G cams, divider, and long plenum and the promise of some 2.6 manifolds all waiting, but no time or money to do an upgrade which will no doubt affect my fuel economy anyway. My poor car looks like an advert for the scrappage scheme right now. :(

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: 02 November 2015, 11:45:01 »

Right, put simply, yes, holding the gears will enable the car to rev to literally the rev limiter, and won't change up. (unless, as has been suggested, in etreme case the box will actually protect itself and change up anyway)

but

that's what sport mode does anyway. It changes up at the point of peak power, that's why it's designed, and what it's designed for. Don't forget that the box invariably takes a second to change up anyway, so even if you do [/i]wait until the optimum, perfect time to change up a gear, I'd have thought you'll knock the lever...one....two....then the box will change up. At that point I'd surmise you're probably at the rev limiter, anyway, and dropped of the peak of the power curve. I would simply love to try this on my car but, well, no.  :D Perhaps on the 2.0litre ex-taxi I just bought for the panels, but I won't be punishing my poor old girl like that any time soon, hehe.

However, no-one knows anything until someone tries, and experiments, so hence my thoughts about a 'sacrificial' gearbox. Enabling you to try such things.

Sport mode makes, in theory the perfect time to change up. As I say, though, feel free to experiment with holding the gears manually, just do it on a gearbox you don't need to get you to work every day  :y Also another thought, as you mention the magnet in the 'box... worth perhaps cleaning the magnet completely, then ragging the box, then upon you finishing/the box exploding, re-check the magnet. Be interesting to see how much has been 'filed' off the gears in the tests.

Also, do the manifold leak; however, this should't be affecting your times, in my personal opinion.

What Mr Bear needs is one of those new fangled  double clutch Omega. :y

...........and lose 100lbs. :)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: 02 November 2015, 17:31:33 »

Unfortunately, I am spending more money on petrol than I am on food, at present. Daft as it sounds, given I choose to drive a 19 year old 2.5 V6 car, but I'm trying to get the best economy I can, of late.

Being run into & fighting to get even a reasonable sum from the insurers, several big bills, a few (unpaid) sick days off work is crippling me a bit lately. I've got a set of G cams, divider, and long plenum and the promise of some 2.6 manifolds all waiting, but no time or money to do an upgrade which will no doubt affect my fuel economy anyway. My poor car looks like an advert for the scrappage scheme right now. :(

sorry to read about that mate. id hate that :( but stick with her mate  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: 02 November 2015, 17:56:59 »

I own neither underpowered, over-thirsty cars anymore, but I owned several 3.0's and one 3.2.  Maybe I had a belter of a 3.2, but in real-life driving, the 3.2 is the quicker of the variants.  :y

Was your 3.0 made out of steel or that <cough!> ultra light, weight-saving material that's brown in colour and has the secret chemical formula Fe2O3.nH2O?  :-X

Not really getting why you are asking, but apart from a few bubbles here and there, and the odd arch or two, none of my Omega's have been rotten.  Come to think of it, the latest one (the 3.2) suffered the worst, but nothing to cry about.
Ahh.. I wasn't asking about yours. ;)

No worries.

I take it you were asking TB, who has delusions about the 3.2.  I reckon he needs to drive one for more than 5 minutes.  ::)

*Awaits STEMO* "You cant drive an omega for more than 5 minutes.... it'll break down"
I think the RustySilver bullet must be really light by now. :-X
Not with the fat bastid in the seat  :-[
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: 02 November 2015, 18:00:54 »

Webby, lock it in 1st and boot the 'dangle berries' off it.  It'll either (depending on software) change up properly, or reduce throttle to 70ish% to save the box.

I'm gonna guess it'll change up and drive normally.
As others have confirmed, the Omega will bang off the rev limiter all day long.

Yup, I shat me pants the first time it did it (in 3rd), I thought it had let go....
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: 02 November 2015, 18:04:07 »

Around 40? 35?

The box won't drop a peg if it thinks it will need to change up again almost immediately, as it will actually be slower.

Change points on full kickdown on 3.0/3.2 are 45mph, 85mph and a shade under 130mph.  I'd suggest anything within 7 or 8mph of that will not cause a change down.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... 50   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.