Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacement Boot Struts - Any recommendations or will any OEM ones be OK ?  (Read 1661 times)

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • 2.5 V6 CDX Manual (MFL)
    • View Profile

Hi all.

Couple of things:

1/

Noticed boot lit not open all way by itself any more as have to 'Assist' it the last bit.  Car is MFL 2.5V5 CDX Saloon (Manual  :y).  Mechanism is clean and lubed as always  :y

I also noticed this on my dads (2.2 FL CD Saloon, Auto), and in fact its much worse on his as have to lift and hold the boot all the time.

Any recommendations for a new set of Hydraulic struts ?  :)

I just want to avoid any rubbish ones if anybody has any experience ?, or are they much the same ?

They are £20 a set on Amazon (Made in the UK by SGS Engineering, 2 year guarantee, Replaces part number(s): 90379054) and seem OK.

Assume my MFL and my dads FL are the same part ?

2/
My dads FL had a couple of broken boot lid wires recently (the ones on the LHS) causing boot release to stop (again !)  :o.  All soldered and wired back (again !)  :y but wondered if there is a better fix for this ? (other than not opening the boot ever again !!!!) 

Thanks in advance.

Andy.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile

When I needed one after I was shunted up the ar#e and one got bent I sourced a pair of used ones onFlea Bay :y

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • View Profile

When I needed one after I was shunted up the ar#e and one got bent I sourced a pair of used ones onFlea Bay :y

Cheers for that.  I note however that the price for a 'Used' one is similar to a pair of OEM replacements ?

Any difference in Quality ?

I assumed a pair of Monroe or Magneti Marelli ones would be just as good as the GM ones, given the GM ones are made by somebody else anyway ???

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile

Anything will do from a reputable make. Think how long the originals have lasted - if you get half that from the replacements you'll be doing alright IMHO.
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • View Profile

Anything will do from a reputable make. Think how long the originals have lasted - if you get half that from the replacements you'll be doing alright IMHO.

:y

Originals 16 years old   :y. Given I only do 1000mls a year  and rarely go in boot replacements I hope to last a similar time  :D

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • View Profile

Try these - http://www.sgs-engineering.com/car-boot-tailgate/vauxhall/omega/gsc2327-vauxhall-omega-boot-strut
HTH  :y

:y cheers  :y

SGS ones seemed to pop up (no pun intended !) from the googling  :y

Strangely, SGS seemed to be selling on Amazon as well, and appear cheaper for a pair than a single direct from them !!

Will order a pair and report findings for reference  :y

Thanks all.

Andy.

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • View Profile

Just to report back, ordered a Pair of Magneti Marelli ones from the Bay of Flea ! 

WOW !!   :y   Boot now back to it original self as I remember, when open about 10 inches if you let go it opens all by itself  :D

£23 for the Pair - bargain.

I took a punt as its was a Non UK seller (Latvia), but credit where due as quicker to arrive than UK Royal Snail Mail  ;D

Well Chuffed  :) :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.