Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UPDATE - Front disc replacement.  (Read 2073 times)

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • 2.5 V6 CDX Manual (MFL)
    • View Profile
UPDATE - Front disc replacement.
« on: 26 March 2016, 22:11:07 »

Update.

Disks and and pads now changed  :y. Thanks to all for help  :)

The hot wheel was I believe a stiff piston on the calliper as it was hard to push back (sliders were all free, but I took out and greased and appeared like new  :y )

I have cleaned around the piston, and pushed seal back and cleaned outer of piston and it looked all clean, shiney and no corrosion. Worked piston back and forth about 20 times and it feels the same as the other side.  Not sure if this is prolonging the issue and that I need to replace  calliper ????  Can you get a piston service kit ?  Guess best to keep an eye on things and at slightest "warm wheel" replace calliper ?  Assume a pair of GM ones are not cheap  :'(

Also noticed that the new GM pads came pre chamfered on the ends  :y which was a nice surprise.

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Re: UPDATE - Front disc replacement.
« Reply #1 on: 27 March 2016, 00:21:56 »

Are these what you need ?...ebay...replacement seals..item number  371251129415..£8.85 per side....or complete with piston..item number  371280729387  £16.50......

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 March 2016, 08:26:58 »

If going down the new seals route don't forget to give the "bores" in which the pistons sit a quick look over for scores/pitting and give them a quick clean up too.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 March 2016, 09:13:01 »

There's no point replacing just the seals. The pitting and corrosion on the piston will cut up the new square cut seal. You don't say that the outer boot was cut up or dislodged but where you say you had to push the seal back I presume it has come apart somewhere allowing crap to get in.

New calliper. Or if you can be bothered to rebuild it then get a new piston with your new seals  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 March 2016, 10:23:15 »

There's no point replacing just the seals. The pitting and corrosion on the piston will cut up the new square cut seal. You don't say that the outer boot was cut up or dislodged but where you say you had to push the seal back I presume it has come apart somewhere allowing crap to get in.

New calliper. Or if you can be bothered to rebuild it then get a new piston with your new seals  :y

Boot was intact and not dislodged  :y.  All looked good.  With the piston half out slid seal back to inspect piston which looked clean and no scoring (on that bit anyway).  Made sure all clean and re seated boot back in the end of piston (pops in the groove around the piston with the lip at the end of the boot which sits in there).

I shall however monitor things.  I only do a few miles a year, but if I need a new caliper then I shall get on. 

Any recommendations as to GM Lucas or OEM one ?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 March 2016, 12:04:43 »

See how you go for a few weeks before worrying about it ;)
Grumpy old man

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 March 2016, 12:39:55 »

See how you go for a few weeks before worrying about it ;)

:y. Will do

I've resisted the temptation to paint the callipers  ;D

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 March 2016, 12:08:58 »

Boot was intact and not dislodged  :y.  All looked good.  With the piston half out slid seal back to inspect piston which looked clean and no scoring (on that bit anyway).  Made sure all clean and re seated boot back in the end of piston (pops in the groove around the piston with the lip at the end of the boot which sits in there).

I shall however monitor things.  I only do a few miles a year, but if I need a new caliper then I shall get on. 

Any recommendations as to GM Lucas or OEM one ?

Sorry Dr, I must have misread what you put.  :y

Normally with damaged calliper that are hard to or just won't push back you find that there is a lot of times a tear in the dust seal. This allows junk to get in and causes the damage.

I considered painting my calipers once. I then saw sense and left them alone  ::) ;D

On an aside about Mintex.  . . I replaced a caliper on a Volvo v40 last week and Andrew
Page sent a Mintex caliper. It wouldn't fit over the new pads.  The piston in a new one is usually pushed back as far as it will go. But this one looked a little too far extended out. I Tried pushing it back in further with no joy. Got a new one from another company. Fitted straight over. Can't remember the brand though. Deco perhaps  :-\ or summat like that.

Just another nail in the Mintex coffin for me  ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 March 2016, 12:11:16 »

*Delco even
RIP Paul Lovejoy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.