Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.2 Rocker Cover gasket ? Assume best to use Genuine GM ones ?  (Read 936 times)

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • 2.5 V6 CDX Manual (MFL)
    • View Profile

Hi all,

Stretched the legs on my MFL V6 Mig and visited my Dad at weekend (Average 44mpg 60 mile motorway run :D).

When I got there, I gave is Omega some TLC and noticed his 2.2 - 4 cyl (Petrol Auto CD Face Lift Model) had a small bit oil towards back of rocker cover, gasket area, RHS.  Noticed a little drip on his drive and on the base of breather pipe on top of Bell housing I think.  Definite oil from gasket as oily finger when touched !

Looking at the Guide, looks like rocker cover on the 2.2 is very simple (Compared to my V6, or less bits to get out the way at least ! ).  I used a Genuine GM gasket (very expensive looking licorice !! and O rings when mine was done. 

I assume probably wise to use GM one for the 2.2 as well ???  Any experiences and advice ?

Any particular flavour of sealing compound ?  Again assume GM stuff best to use ?  It mentions to use sealant on the areas to the side of the cam clamps which are at the pulley end of the cams ?

If I get chance I may do the job for my Dad to help him out, but just wanted any advice before I commit.

thanks in advance.

Andy.

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
Re: 2.2 Rocker Cover gasket ? Assume best to use Genuine GM ones ?
« Reply #1 on: 01 August 2016, 20:12:04 »

Hi all,

Stretched the legs on my MFL V6 Mig and visited my Dad at weekend (Average 44mpg 60 mile motorway run :D).

When I got there, I gave is Omega some TLC and noticed his 2.2 - 4 cyl (Petrol Auto CD Face Lift Model) had a small bit oil towards back of rocker cover, gasket area, RHS.  Noticed a little drip on his drive and on the base of breather pipe on top of Bell housing I think.  Definite oil from gasket as oily finger when touched !

Looking at the Guide, looks like rocker cover on the 2.2 is very simple (Compared to my V6, or less bits to get out the way at least ! ).  I used a Genuine GM gasket (very expensive looking licorice !! and O rings when mine was done. 

I assume probably wise to use GM one for the 2.2 as well ???  Any experiences and advice ?

Any particular flavour of sealing compound ?  Again assume GM stuff best to use ?  It mentions to use sealant on the areas to the side of the cam clamps which are at the pulley end of the cams ?

If I get chance I may do the job for my Dad to help him out, but just wanted any advice before I commit.

thanks in advance.

Andy.

Genuine are known to work, others can be a lottery.
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 August 2016, 21:01:55 »

I am sure you will check the breathers too. The small breather is more accessible than on the 2.0s, and with luck you will be able to push a wire through it, proving it to be clear. If not, you might find my recent thread useful.

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 August 2016, 22:37:29 »

Think i have brand new GM 2.2 cam cover gasket in garage for sale ( will look tomo )
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.