Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rocker Cover Gasket - 2.2 Petrol - Facelift - Are they Torx or Hex bolts ?  (Read 1170 times)

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • 2.5 V6 CDX Manual (MFL)
    • View Profile

Hi all,

I am doing Rocker cover gasket on my Fathers 2.2 petrol Facelift (noticed the other day slight weep from back RH corner, which then drips onto Bell housing and then onto where Dipstick stalk bolts on ?, and then drop on his drive  >:(

The maintenance guide looks good so I shall follow that, all bits ordered from Vauxhall  :y (£40 for gasket, o rings and sealant  :o)

However, just so I take the right tools, are the bolts to take Rocker cover off, and the Coil Pack, hex type ones or Torx/star ones ?

I have a set of hex bits for the socket set and Torque Wrench, but if its Torx  ones which one / flavour do I need ?

Any advice prior and post the Job ? 

Thanks,
Andy.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile

I did the guide for the 2.2, standard Halfords set should cover it. Should be an E10 or E12 I think, can't remember for the cam cover.

The two coil pack bolts needs the small torx/star ones, from the little group set thing.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile

It's a nice little job, all bits have nice easy access. Personally I use splash of WD40 on some of the rubber hoses for various clips, as they all come off much easier. Mostly on the big breather at the back right, that can sometimes stick. Squirt of WD40 and it slips off easy, just clean pipe afterwards.

Might as well clean the breather and throttle body while it's off.  :y

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • View Profile

It's a nice little job, all bits have nice easy access. Personally I use splash of WD40 on some of the rubber hoses for various clips, as they all come off much easier. Mostly on the big breather at the back right, that can sometimes stick. Squirt of WD40 and it slips off easy, just clean pipe afterwards.

Might as well clean the breather and throttle body while it's off.  :y

:y  Thanks for advice  :y  And for doing the Guide for me  ;) ;) ;)

Will make sure there is WD40 available.  I did the breather and throttle body last year when he was in Hospital (as it was a little 'rough on idle' and seemed to sort it (only for a minute when cold - the car that is, not my dad !), but I guess will not hurt giving it a quick clean up :)

I got the ones done on my V6 MFL by Daz in Stoke last year, but thought I can do my Dads 2.2  :y

AND i just found the E4 to E18  Star E-TX Socket set  :y :y :y    I remember getting them for the couple bolts on his Throttle body now   ;D

How long is it best to leave it before using the car, as assume the small bit of Gasket Sealant needs to cure.  Is it best warming the engine, or leave it cold  to cure ?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile

I fired mine up not long afterwards, just to check everything was fine. I only ran it for seconds, then flicked it off again. I then left it overnight to set, just in case.

As a double check it's worth feeling at the back of the cam cover, to make sure the two half moons set correctly. It's easy for them to get squished and not sit right  :y

Done right, will last forever. That guide was when I last did the cam cover on the 2.2.  :)

So approaching 10 years and 100k  :D

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • View Profile

I fired mine up not long afterwards, just to check everything was fine. I only ran it for seconds, then flicked it off again. I then left it overnight to set, just in case.

As a double check it's worth feeling at the back of the cam cover, to make sure the two half moons set correctly. It's easy for them to get squished and not sit right  :y

Done right, will last forever. That guide was when I last did the cam cover on the 2.2.  :)

So approaching 10 years and 100k  :D

:y

Somebody did it couple years ago for him, so I suspect they didn't get the half moons right by the sounds of it and probably not genuine VX (I know these are recommended for the V6's) as definitely the back right where the slight weep is on his Desmond (I recall the block on a slight lean that way perhaps ?)

I have all the information now and thanks for advice.

I also will get the old wet and dry, water and G3 cutting paste on his headlights as they need doing, ahh, and I have a set of new front Pagid Brake pads to put on  :y (I put the VX ones on mine as they came in the disc kit  :y

Will be good for another 10 years then like yours when I am done  :D

What can go wrong   ;D

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.