Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bat Flu forecasts  (Read 3034 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Bat Flu forecasts
« on: 10 February 2021, 11:35:24 »

What do you think the future holds for us?

There is a school of thought that we will have perpetual cycles of lockdowns, new virus strains ( I am waiting for the “ Do it for Yorkshire” strain) , repeat vaccination.

I have just been talking to a Spanish neighbour who says nothing will change for a year! He might be right as vaccination process here is only just getting going. Brits might be vaccinated and think travel might be on the cards but South Europe won’t be open any day soon.

My own view is that we will end up wearing ( hopefully lightweight) space helmets with air handling packs. That wont help with normality returning but is only a small step up from wearing masks. Who would have thought 11 months ago we would be where we are now!

What do you think will be happening in six or twelve months time?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Bat Flu forecasts
« Reply #1 on: 10 February 2021, 11:54:07 »

That would be an extreme escalation of the over reaction that we already have.

All the extra hand washing and disinfectant we already endure only serves to make us more vulnerable, not less, to any bugs.

The mortality rates simply don't warrant such far fetched responses. Besides, PIGS cannot survive another season without tourism, and the EU cannot afford to carry them through when they themselves are destroying their own economies.

There's a valid case for trying to limit hospital admissions, but that's it, everything else is shortsighted reactionary politics and fear mongering.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 February 2021, 12:19:58 »

I don't think about it as "fear" more about avoidance fear is seeing your mate being blown in two by a landmine and wondering who is next or crawling through a pitch black drainage system hoping you find a way out, or being dropped in the sea with 35 kilos of kit on your back, I simply would like to avoid catching it from foolish people who want to go on planes or to the pub or other idiots who are trying to play the virus down.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 February 2021, 12:52:06 »

Neither of which were things that you claimed to would want to do anyway, so that's a moot point.

As for your ideas of fear, those things are accepted risks of military service and it would be unrealistic to ignore the possibility of them happening if a person were to join up. For example, if you join the Navy, there's a chance that the ship you're on might sink. If that bothers you, not joining the Navy might be a better option.

Anything that anyone might do has a level of risk attached, whether it's simply getting out of bed, running across a road, or clearing a minefield. The question then becomes one of acceptable risk.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 February 2021, 12:52:48 »

Just had a treadmill delivered (for wifey, not me!). So, along with her indoor bike, she can keep fit without having to encounter the great unwashed  :y Just got to set it up for her.
Her breathing still hasn't recovered properly from when she had covid in October so, hopefully, the treadmill will help with get her back to full fitness. She missed the great north run last year, for obvious reasons, but she's hoping it might go ahead around September this year. Personally, I don't think she should be doing it this year, but she is determined.
Diesel till I die

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 February 2021, 13:00:58 »

Just had a treadmill delivered (for wifey, not me!). So, along with her indoor bike, she can keep fit without having to encounter the great unwashed  :y Just got to set it up for her.
Her breathing still hasn't recovered properly from when she had covid in October so, hopefully, the treadmill will help with get her back to full fitness. She missed the great north run last year, for obvious reasons, but she's hoping it might go ahead around September this year. Personally, I don't think she should be doing it this year, but she is determined.

Good for her Steve keeping fit is the saviour of a lot of folk at the moment I'm a great believer in it , especially getting outdoors and getting some air into your lungs .
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 February 2021, 13:03:25 »

Good for her Steve keeping fit is the saviour of a lot of folk at the moment I'm a great believer in it , especially getting outdoors and getting some air into your lungs .
If I wasn't walking around 4-5 miles every day with the dog, I might have a go. 4kph would do me, I reckon  ;D
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 February 2021, 13:04:10 »

Did you hear that, Albs, 4 or 5 miles  ::)  ;D
Diesel till I die

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 February 2021, 13:08:15 »

My walking pace is around 3mph , don't do running anymore my knees are completely buggered, from rugby in my youth.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 February 2021, 13:10:42 »

My walking pace is around 3mph , don't do running anymore my knees are completely buggered, from rugby in my youth.
                 Mine too, one Knackered from motocross.
Laying a rubber road.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 February 2021, 13:23:29 »

So what do you think it will be like in six or 12 months time.?

Exactly like it is now with endless cycles of lockdowns, new variants, and crucially forecasts of “ it will get better” . I remember first lockdown here. 3 weeks, then another three weeks, and so on. If they had said at the outset “ 3 months” there would have been a riot.

Or is there a way out?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 February 2021, 13:28:07 »

Stopping the lockdowns would be a start.

We could carry on as we are, but it will be years before anything improves.

Stopping the lockdowns and reopening everything, even if countries remain 'closed' to visitors until a certain percentage have been vaccinated, and things could be back to normal by the end of the year.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 February 2021, 13:29:05 »

So what do you think it will be like in six or 12 months time.?

Exactly like it is now with endless cycles of lockdowns, new variants, and crucially forecasts of “ it will get better” . I remember first lockdown here. 3 weeks, then another three weeks, and so on. If they had said at the outset “ 3 months” there would have been a riot.

Or is there a way out?

I fear not Varche, it was simply not taken seriously enough in the United Kingdom, so it will be lockdown after lockdown , unless a miracle vaccine appears to combat the virus completely could take years something we will just have to get used to, but the idiots amongst will go on with their stupidity.
« Last Edit: 10 February 2021, 13:30:39 by Rangie »

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 February 2021, 13:38:10 »

Stopping the lockdowns would be a start.

Stopping the lockdowns and reopening everything,
Did you not notice the second and third wave of infection, death and overwhelmed NHS when lockdown measures where lifted each time   :-\
or do dead people not count if it's not you  ::)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 February 2021, 13:56:02 »

The first step in my opinion is for everyone including scientists, SAGE, governments, health services etc to accept that Covid is not going away and that we have to learn to live with it. 

I don't believe that we will ever achieve zero Covid and it will just become another illness that people get and some don't survive.  If the vaccines prevent transmission to an extent and boost peoples immune systems so that severe illness/death is less likely, meaning that health services are not overwhelmed, then they should drop the restrictions and let people get on with their lives as best we can.

God knows what the final excess death toll from untreated/late treated/undiagnosed cancers, or other illnesses like heart disease, strokes etc will be, but given the extremely loose definition of a Covid death, I bet it will be higher in the end.  :'(
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.