Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Evaluation requested  (Read 2480 times)

Joshmo295

• Ireland
  • 3.2 omega/ Ford Sierra
    • Ford want an omega
    • View Profile
Evaluation requested
« on: 29 April 2021, 01:33:37 »

Hello I’ve very upsetting news that my just finished Vauxhall omega has been wrote off
She was a 3.2 mv6 finished in white was an ex police car in her day had heated seats rear parking sensors full set of eleits after market radio and an lsd diff, now this was my first project car and I do plan to road her again put the insurance is asking for a market value now I just am asking how much would you think it would of been before the crash I have photos if I can figure out how to post them up

woolley11

• Intermediate Member
  • York
    • 3.0 MV6 auto
    • View Profile
Re: Evaluation requested
« Reply #1 on: 29 April 2021, 07:25:24 »

That’s a shame. Hopefully it’s not too bad and a DIY repair. They write things off for nothing, particularly older cars deemed not worth much in their eyes.

Is it you making the claim? Or the other parties insurance? If it’s you making the claim, is it worth it?  - depends on level of damage I guess. A lot of good, economical parts available S/H on eBay or breakers. This will also save it being recorded as a write off.

Main thing is, have you the car still? Assume you have. Don’t let insurance company have car as it’s probably last you’ll see of it as many posts on here will confirm.

I would think really what you need to ask them for is what they want for the salvage? Difficult to value cars as prices range so wildly dependent on mileage, history, owners and  condition.  I guess you’ve an idea what you want for it based on what you paid for it and spent on it.

Think of a realistic figure, more on the high side and be prepared to negotiate down a little. They’ll knock of the salvage value and pay you difference.
Omega 3.0 MV6 pfl
BMW Alpina B10 3.3 Touring
VW Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign, Triumph Dolomite Sprint

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 April 2021, 09:40:09 »

Repeating the question won't change the answer...

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what 'extras' are fitted. It will always be an ex job car and is valued as such. Also the insurers may well decide that the 'extras' are modifications, and if undeclared, will use them as an excuse not to pay out.

The car being written off is based on a percentage of the cost of repairing it. If it's the whole side of the car, then that would write off a much newer car, the front wing and some paint is enough to push an Omega over the threshold.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 April 2021, 10:04:40 »

Pictures will help.

As a guide, the first time my 2004 ex Police 3.2 was written off, it was valued at £2,000 (2009 with 120k), and the last time, £1,500 (2013 with 250 ish k).

I sold it in reasonable condition for the (270+k miles) as a fully functional Police car (minus the livery) for £1,400 iirc... The lightbar alone was £750+ which gives you an idea of what an ex Police car is worth.

Another ex Police Omega with full service history was around £1,700 and full history and 153k. I sold that in 2012/3. The full history from TVP for that car included an invoice in 2003 for the purchase of the car from VX... £18,300 and also receipts for over £12,000 in body repairs at VX from two separate collisions and another £4-5k bill for a new engine caused by driver error.

All fairly typical for a Police car, and your insurance knows it. Incidentally, both of those cars went to NI. One was fully restored in an old PSNI livery, tother was later sold to a chap in Eire.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 April 2021, 10:05:40 »

If ya fancy a roadtrip and need a plod body-shell, I know were there is one 8)
Hoof'land storeman.

woolley11

• Intermediate Member
  • York
    • 3.0 MV6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 April 2021, 10:55:34 »

Just another couple of thoughts

If a claim isn’t made, it will save your excess being knocked off and preserve no claims bonus 🤔

Depends if it was your fault or not. If there’s another party have you given them the option to pay you direct for the damage at an agreed figure to save their insurance being involved - or is it too far down the line for that?

Agree with Doc Gollum - some extras on cars aren’t worth anymore. It might make them rarer but buyers for specific cars are very rare too 😏
Omega 3.0 MV6 pfl
BMW Alpina B10 3.3 Touring
VW Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign, Triumph Dolomite Sprint

Joshmo295

• Ireland
  • 3.2 omega/ Ford Sierra
    • Ford want an omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 April 2021, 11:18:51 »

Lucky enough I had the car insured in a modified car insurance, yes I lowered the omega but that was my choice my car ( some of u Gona hate me for it) so all mods declared etc
Now it only happened Monday and I tryed talking to your man because he pulled out in-front of me on a dual carriageway. But he was being very ingorent towards me cause I’m young. Anyways the other day his insurance company called me to ask me to fix the damaged obviously I sad no cause I wasn’t at fault so yes it’s too far down the line to sort anything between us unfortunately but it is what it is. Now I bought the car last year for 1000 then striped it down and started working on it 12 months and 2000 pound later she was on the road redone breaks etc etc the list goes on even had to paint parts of her yes the car is costing me 3000 pound but I feel like it was worth more due to the little you acc see of them and it being high spec too.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 April 2021, 12:11:22 »

IF it wasn't your fault and you have a good case then provide the insurance assessor with COPIES of all the receipts, pre accident condition photos etc along with adverts for Omega of similar spec / condition for sale retail
point out you are an enthusiast with a rare car ,damaged through no fault of your own .
ask them to find you another car of similar spec, condition etc ,which they will struggle with  :D
you may have to decline several offers before you come to a satisfactory agreement .

I've done this with a good outcome on a family member's behalf

IF however there is any doubt about who is to blame you will have problems  :(

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 April 2021, 12:35:49 »

Anyone who expects their insurance company to cover the costs of a modified car needs to have an agreed value policy. Getting  those costs from another party's insurance without a good lawyer is fantasy.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 May 2021, 14:08:48 »

Just another couple of thoughts

If a claim isn’t made, it will save your excess being knocked off and preserve no claims bonus 🤔

Depends if it was your fault or not. If there’s another party have you given them the option to pay you direct for the damage at an agreed figure to save their insurance being involved - or is it too far down the line for that?

Agree with Doc Gollum - some extras on cars aren’t worth anymore. It might make them rarer but buyers for specific cars are very rare too 😏
Technically you are still supposed to inform your insurance, plus declare it at next renewal.

If neither party has informed their respect insurances, and the police weren't informed, you may get away with it.

Back to the OP, if its a standard policy, it doesn't cover the modifications - you declare these so insurance isn't invalidated, but they aren'y actually covered.

So, an ex-plod Omega thats at least 18 years old, in Great Britain, I would think between £150 - £400 depending how mint it is
Grumpy old man

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 May 2021, 14:43:17 »

The parts you have added, eg seats, etc aren't modifications, they are replacement standard parts,  they won't increase the insurance value of the car as they will pay it out as whatever it's registered as. So an ex-plod with Leather,alloys etc won't make any difference, they only care about performance modifications. That's my experience,,, others will say different.
Hoof'land storeman.

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 May 2021, 08:43:23 »

Tell them you want 3K but they can knock off 0.15k if t
You can keep the salvage as it has some sentimental value to you. Then negotiate from there.
Values on write offs should be related to the most likely retail price. Not a trade in or auction value. 

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 May 2021, 14:25:50 »

Ex police cars, especially obselete ones have no value.

Even now, six year old job cars only sell for a grand or so.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 May 2021, 14:40:20 »

I'm finding that prices around here seem, to me, a bit OTT for cars around 8 to 10 years old. Some with not particularly low mileage either.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 May 2021, 14:41:59 »

I'm finding that prices around here seem, to me, a bit OTT for cars around 8 to 10 years old. Some with not particularly low mileage either.
You could park a bus in the mark up margins :-X
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 19 queries.