Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuel leak  (Read 4312 times)

danzigfan

• Omega Knight
  • Jesenice, Slovenia
    • Omega 2.5V6, 3.0V6
    • View Profile
Fuel leak
« on: 26 June 2021, 08:42:56 »

Hello guys, this happened twice when the tank is full of fuel. There was smell of gasoline in the cabin, so I took the fuel pump cover off and found the culprit. I won't remove the pump until the fuel level drops, but I'd like to know what part will need to be replaced, if anyone knows. Thanks in advance

I would rather push omega than drive renault

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel leak
« Reply #1 on: 26 June 2021, 09:37:00 »

The top plate needs repairing/replacing. Specifically, the pipes/plate are corroded to the point of weeping.
The plastic ring simply spins off anticlockwise... Use a block of wood and a hammer to get it moving.

The pump is connected to the other side with more hose, so fabricating a new one is easy enough.

Nick W could probably make one before lunch.

I would not drive it until you have fixed it though. There's almost no airflow over the top of the tank, and you don't want the vapours building up near the drive train/exhaust.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 June 2021, 09:44:05 »

You have pm.

Read it and act on it immediately.  :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 June 2021, 10:06:10 »

The top plate needs repairing/replacing. Specifically, the pipes/plate are corroded to the point of weeping.
The plastic ring simply spins off anticlockwise... Use a block of wood and a hammer to get it moving.

The pump is connected to the other side with more hose, so fabricating a new one is easy enough.

Yes, the top plate is finished.

Nick W would not have used simply for spinning off the plastic ring.... ::)

danzigfan

• Omega Knight
  • Jesenice, Slovenia
    • Omega 2.5V6, 3.0V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 June 2021, 10:18:53 »

Thank guys :y Replacement plate ordered

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 June 2021, 11:04:39 »

Yes, the top plate is finished.

Nick W would not have used simply for spinning off the plastic ring.... ::)
It's not technically complicated. But they are on the tight side of a class 4 fit :D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 June 2021, 11:38:57 »

A squirt of WD-40, then a few whacks with an ammer and big screwdriver, job jobbed.  ;)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 June 2021, 11:39:38 »

A squirt of WD-40, then a few whacks with an ammer and big screwdriver, job jobbed.  ;)
That's a nammer, Albs.  ;D
Diesel till I die

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 June 2021, 11:48:11 »

A squirt of WD-40, then a few whacks with an ammer and big screwdriver, notice you've split the fixing ring, remove the broken piece, swear a lot, discover that you can only get a new one with the entire pump assembly for £348.67(approx), swear some more, discover that the only secondhand ones you can get are only slightly better than yours, swear even more, etc etc. job jobbed.  ;)

Added the parts of the job that you omitted :y

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 June 2021, 11:50:24 »

Done it many times without splitting my ring (ooh err)  ;D
Maybe I have a knack for it without knowing it.  :D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 June 2021, 12:40:39 »

Wow!! :o :o :o

Now I know what the top of the fuel tank can look like :o :o :o :o

It is one part of our cars you usually never see.  I had to replace a fuel tank on a Senny once, but even that was not as rusted as that :)  I hope my recent problems have nothing to do with the same thing! ::) ::)

Sorry danzigfan for that sad assessment.  Yes, that does require immediate attention :(

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 June 2021, 16:27:35 »

And possibly a good enough reason for us all to have a look at ours ( sooner than later) and clean/ derust/ protect as required whilst it's hopefully still ok .

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 June 2021, 16:37:18 »

And possibly a good enough reason for us all to have a look at ours ( sooner than later) and clean/ derust/ protect as required whilst it's hopefully still ok .

Disturbing it unnecessarily is more likely to cause problems than prevent them

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 June 2021, 16:41:34 »

Maybee but if disturbing them causes an instant leak then the pipe was on the verge of failing anyway and needed to be found.il be checking mine tommorow !

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 June 2021, 16:41:37 »

Breaking news, old cars rust...in places you can't see.....some more than others. Omega will never be a classic, so I doubt will get the kind of preventative maintenance a true classic needs. You'd have to be a real fanatic to put the time and money into keeping right on top of one.
Diesel till I die

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 27 June 2021, 16:46:17 »

The thing is .as I once said.this is supposed to be an owners club and that will attract 2 different types of owners.as all owners clubs do.
Some run omegas because they are cheap transport and some are enthusiasts.
I fall into the latter category and intend to keep mine forever so preventative maintenance is required.
That's why I have a 74 viva that's still used as daily transport on rotation with my other cars.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 June 2021, 17:08:44 »

The thing is .as I once said.this is supposed to be an owners club and that will attract 2 different types of owners.as all owners clubs do.
I fall into the latter category and intend to keep mine forever so preventative maintenance is required
That's why I have a 74 viva that's still used as daily transport on rotation with my other cars.

How true, and that is where I am :D :D ;)

It would have to be a really serious, terminal issue, to take my Omega away from me. ;D ;D :)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 June 2021, 17:26:43 »

I fall into the latter category and intend to keep mine forever so preventative maintenance is required

It would have to be a really serious, terminal issue, to take my Omega away from me. ;D ;D :)
Yet you had no idea about the aforementioned problem with the fuel tank. What I meant about preventative maintenance was that you have to know your car inside out, and get right down to the bits that might/could/will rust, and prevent it happening. Once rust takes hold, anywhere, the only way to get shut of it is to replace. Repair doesn't cut it.
Diesel till I die

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 June 2021, 18:09:15 »

Yet you had no idea about the aforementioned problem with the fuel tank. What I meant about preventative maintenance was that you have to know your car inside out, and get right down to the bits that might/could/will rust, and prevent it happening. Once rust takes hold, anywhere, the only way to get shut of it is to replace. Repair doesn't cut it.

But I can, and have, replaced a fuel tank so that does not worry me in the least.  It is body parts that are integral to the car and cannot easily be unbolted and  a new one bolted back on that trouble me.  With an Omega we all drive around now in cars at least 18 years old, so why worry about what could be lurking underneath.  If you do worry about it, then you would scrap it!!

I have been all over mine top and bottom and know what I have and the potential issues that MAY come before I stop driving - or win big on the Lottery!!  No worries; bigger things to worry about in all honesty.

Like sorting out one of my grandsons Playstation 4 network non my machine so he can play his Fortnight game.  It took 5 phone calls to Playstation to give me answers as to why I could not change email address to reset the password, and then transfer his game onto mine.  With one operative she just said I had not passed security clearance and could not help me!!   I told another operator about this and how it was like getting into MI5; she readily agreed and said her colleagues and her said it was like getting into the CIA!! Got very angry, but all sorted in the end! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 27 June 2021, 18:11:04 »

I didn't know about the potential issue and don't know omegas inside out because I havnt actually had mine that long. But will eventually know it bolt by bolt the same as I know my other cars that I have owned since late 80's .its all a learning curve and one which I'm happy to take on. All part of the fun of classic ownership.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 27 June 2021, 18:14:01 »

But I can, and have, replaced a fuel tank so that does not worry me in the least.  It is body parts that are integral to the car and cannot easily be unbolted and  a new one bolted back on that trouble me.  With an Omega we all drive around now in cars at least 18 years old, so why worry about what could be lurking underneath.  If you do worry about it, then you would scrap it!!

I have been all over mine top and bottom and know what I have and the potential issues that MAY come before I stop driving - or win big on the Lottery!!  No worries; bigger things to worry about in all honesty.

Like sorting out one of my grandsons Playstation 4 network non my machine so he can play his Fortnight game.  It took 5 phone calls to Playstation to give me answers as to why I could not change email address to reset the password, and then transfer his game onto mine.  With one operative she just said I had not passed security clearance and could not help me!!   I told another operator about this and how it was like getting into MI5; she readily agreed and said her colleagues and her said it was like getting into the CIA!! Got very angry, but all sorted in the end! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)
You've totally missed the point.
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27 June 2021, 18:15:11 »

Is that your surprised face?

;D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27 June 2021, 18:17:29 »

So Steve, what is your point then? ::) ::) :D :D ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 June 2021, 18:19:26 »

I didn't know about the potential issue and don't know omegas inside out because I havnt actually had mine that long. But will eventually know it bolt by bolt the same as I know my other cars that I have owned since late 80's .its all a learning curve and one which I'm happy to take on. All part of the fun of classic ownership.

Well said, and I can add that I have done that with my cars, even the company owned ones, since 1970. Now it is a hobby, not work related;D ;D ;)

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27 June 2021, 18:23:51 »

Omega will never be a classic.

Some of the major insurance companies are now happy to insure an Omega on a classic car policy with an agreed value, so if they are happy to do this then they must being considered as a 'modern' day classic. What determines a classic? Scarcity / rarity above value possibly. If the owner cherishes their car and the more it become irreplaceable will only increase its value surely. Morris Marina's, Maxi's or Allegro's were hardly given a second thought in the 70's  / 80's but they can be insured as a classic now and have the relevant owners club backing which makes them (in some peoples eyes) a classic.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 27 June 2021, 18:27:52 »

My point was in my post, read it.
Diesel till I die

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 June 2021, 18:35:33 »

There are various descriptions / terms as to what denotes a classic but as you say ,some insurance companies are now acknowledging them as such and that can only be a good thing.
Another description was   A car so many years out of production that still have a following / interest. Either way it doesn't matter ,as you say back in years gone by marinas,etc,escorts,vivas,and basically ALL run of the mill everyday cars that could be found on every street would not be dreamt of being classed as a future classic but now here they are .
It's more a case of owners actually liking a certain car ( or product ?) and wanting to own one regardless of its actual age or wether it's in fashion or not. That's where most classic owners fit in .
I personally would (and do) drive older cars through choice and would rather take for example a uk touring holiday in a 70's car than any current soulless rubbish(my opinion) .so omegas will and are starting to fall into this "classic" category too .even current Toyota aygo will be a classic one day as hard as it is to beleive !

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27 June 2021, 18:36:36 »

This is like a Ronnie Corbett chair episode .
Totally gone off on a tangent . Lol

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27 June 2021, 18:37:17 »

My point was in my post, read it.

Yes I did and answered your post as I did.  I made the point that you do not have to unbolt all parts of the car to find out what may or not be lurking.  Life is too short to worry about all that.  Take life as it comes as, especially with cars, you cannot predict everything that is going to or may happen.  I sm not going to completely dismantle an engine until it shows a problem.  Nor am I going to unbolt all the body panels to find challenges, although I do know what is the situation with mine.  Once again, I will take things as they come.  That has been my policy with cars for decades, and I am not going to change now at my time of life. D ;D ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27 June 2021, 18:38:48 »

This is like a Ronnie Corbett chair episode .
Totally gone off on a tangent . Lol

Yep, and that is what happens on the OOF ;D ;D ;D ;D

It is also why a "simple" thread question can go into pages! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 28 June 2021, 13:29:29 »

Fuel cover plate leaks especially where the pipe joins the plate is well known and documented on here. Most long term Omega owners keep an eye on that one.

danzigfan

• Omega Knight
  • Jesenice, Slovenia
    • Omega 2.5V6, 3.0V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 08 July 2021, 08:37:30 »

Does anyone know if and how can fuel pump mesh filter be removed? It's pretty dirty :-\

danzigfan

• Omega Knight
  • Jesenice, Slovenia
    • Omega 2.5V6, 3.0V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 08 July 2021, 09:37:19 »

Well I cleaned it with soft toothbrush and gasoline, looks much better now. And after pumping all the dirt out of the swirl pot I was left with this :-X

It seems this sludge could be the reason for Omega to have some hickups when accelerating hard when fuel level was low.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 08 July 2021, 11:07:09 »

It should pull off, but they can become very brittle  ;)

danzigfan

• Omega Knight
  • Jesenice, Slovenia
    • Omega 2.5V6, 3.0V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 08 July 2021, 11:46:55 »

I filled the tank to max and no leak, no fuel smell :y Thanks again
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 18 queries.