Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: No no definitely no.  (Read 3863 times)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: No no definitely no.
« Reply #60 on: 14 November 2021, 11:43:41 »

The thing with the MX-5 is that it's got a chassis that just makes you want to thrash the living daylights out of it and at the sort of power levels they have as standard (160 odd BHP from the 2.0 NC we have) you can do that all day long without it ever getting seriously out of shape or losing your licence. There'll always be long straight bits of road where you wish for a bit more grunt, but on the twisty bits where it counts it's more satisfying to have to stir the stick a bit to keep it going rather than have a big V6 where you just leave it in 4th and use the torque.

Adding more lots more power to a chassis that encourages its use is no longer something that appeals to me. I also dislike the size of modern tyres, which removes most of the progressive and predictable nature that older cars had. Now you have lots of grip until suddenly it all disappears and you're going fast enough to need more road than is available just to attempt to gather it back up.

I realised several years ago that I've never found really fast cars fun, it's driving them hard that I enjoy not the speed. My tweaked 2.9 Capri was so effortless that I regularly missed my turning because giving it 2000rpm in all of the gears - really babying it - meant I was doing about 80mph in a 30 limit. A 2.0l will do that, but you have to want to. They're better balanced too, big roundabouts on dual carriageways can be taken without slowing down, but all four tyres just on the limit of losing grip whilst howling musically :y

I've tried all of the MGFs that various friends have owned, and the best ones are the original 120hp solid cam cars.

Similarly, I'm too much of a wimp for motorbikes and I've seen the results of inattention too many times.

Given a lottery win, I would be ordering a Caterham 170 for the same reasons - it's fast enough without being utterly terrifying or even particularly illegal.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 14 November 2021, 13:19:43 »

The thing with the MX-5 is that it's got a chassis that just makes you want to thrash the living daylights out of it and at the sort of power levels they have as standard (160 odd BHP from the 2.0 NC we have) you can do that all day long without it ever getting seriously out of shape or losing your licence. There'll always be long straight bits of road where you wish for a bit more grunt, but on the twisty bits where it counts it's more satisfying to have to stir the stick a bit to keep it going rather than have a big V6 where you just leave it in 4th and use the torque.

Adding more lots more power to a chassis that encourages its use is no longer something that appeals to me. I also dislike the size of modern tyres, which removes most of the progressive and predictable nature that older cars had. Now you have lots of grip until suddenly it all disappears and you're going fast enough to need more road than is available just to attempt to gather it back up.

I realised several years ago that I've never found really fast cars fun, it's driving them hard that I enjoy not the speed. My tweaked 2.9 Capri was so effortless that I regularly missed my turning because giving it 2000rpm in all of the gears - really babying it - meant I was doing about 80mph in a 30 limit. A 2.0l will do that, but you have to want to. They're better balanced too, big roundabouts on dual carriageways can be taken without slowing down, but all four tyres just on the limit of losing grip whilst howling musically :y

I've tried all of the MGFs that various friends have owned, and the best ones are the original 120hp solid cam cars.

Similarly, I'm too much of a wimp for motorbikes and I've seen the results of inattention too many times.

Given a lottery win, I would be ordering a Caterham 170 for the same reasons - it's fast enough without being utterly terrifying or even particularly illegal.

Should I be tempted into this minimalist type of motoring, I think I would prefer the Ariel Atom.

300 BHP from a 2 litre Honda Civic lump is probably 'adequate' for 650KG.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 14 November 2021, 19:52:22 »

Ive driven my mates 685 bhp E8, never thought I would say it but you just don’t need that much😵‍💫😵‍💫 it’s too tempting and you’re looking over your shoulder/ in the mirror.. worrying all the time going from 60 to 160 is blisteringly fast and for just that few seconds it could easily land you in jail, and I say this owning quite a quick car myself 😵‍💫
Laying a rubber road.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 15 November 2021, 13:37:53 »

Ive driven my mates 685 bhp E8, never thought I would say it but you just don’t need that much😵‍💫😵‍💫 it’s too tempting and you’re looking over your shoulder/ in the mirror.. worrying all the time going from 60 to 160 is blisteringly fast and for just that few seconds it could easily land you in jail, and I say this owning quite a quick car myself 😵‍💫

What is it, Rae.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 15 November 2021, 14:01:51 »

Mitsubishi Evo 8 at a guess ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 15 November 2021, 14:33:22 »

No it’s an Evo2 with E9 internals,hybrid turbo, bigger injectors up rated pump moates ostrich ecu blah blah blah running around 420 bhp/ 410 lbsft  at 1150kg 0/60 mph 3.5 at Marham. Steve loves it😂👀
Laying a rubber road.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 15 November 2021, 17:16:58 »

No it’s an Evo2 with E9 internals,hybrid turbo, bigger injectors up rated pump moates ostrich ecu blah blah blah running around 420 bhp/ 410 lbsft  at 1150kg 0/60 mph 3.5 at Marham. Steve loves it😂👀

Well you should have said.

We're not mind readers you know.... :D ;)

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 15 November 2021, 17:52:37 »

Ha ha ;D the 685bhp is the Evo8 as said, but it really is too much for the road (I must be getting old)🙁🤣
Laying a rubber road.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.