Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Manual Gearstick Reverse selector-Plastic lifter broke in 2-Still works-Replace  (Read 805 times)

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • 2.5 V6 CDX Manual (MFL)
    • View Profile

Hi there.

Noticed yesterday that the little black plastic thing you pull up with fingers on my Omega is broke in the middle thin bit.  Its a Manual Transmission.

It engages reverse OK, but appears it come away in the thin but under where fingers sit to engage about a fingers thickness down the shaft - This is thin but where it then widens again before on the Gaiter boot where that then sits.

Works OK.  Can the plastic lifter thing be replaced ? Is it easy ?  Can get Original Part ?  I assume would also need a new knob as well - Again can get original one ?

Looks like it may glue OK, but wanted to see if replacement was easy and doable.

Thanks in advance.

Andy.

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • View Profile

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

Pretty sure it means a new/used one.

It’s a relatively rare failure in the context of the forum... Perhaps the third one since 2009 :-\

If you can find one, an Irmscher knob might be an alternative solution  :-\

The lever itself is easy enough to change but involves partially stripping the centre console and going underneath as well. Four screws/bolts from above and four plastic clips and a couple of spring clips and pin underneath.

Fiddly but easy enough and partly what you would do to disconnect it during a clutch change. If it works, then you may as well acquire one now and hold off fitting it until you need a clutch ;)

Also any petrol Omega B lever should be suitable,  but ideally you want the same shift pattern on it (just in case there are variations with the position of reverse in the box.
« Last Edit: 02 March 2022, 23:52:59 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • View Profile

Thanks for reply.

I've popped little glue and it seems to be OK at present so Ill see how it goes as it sounds doable but a faff.

Reverse goes in ok, or did when I backed her into her spot in the garage on Sunday  ;D

Will be out in a couple of weeks with her so see how we go.

Another option is I may try a small loop of black handlebar tape.  Could hold them two bits and not notice it.  Bottom bit hold on well anyhow as I put a new proper leather gaiter on there and that hold is up nicely against the top bit  :y

I suppose if thats all wrong with her then I shouldn't complain  ;D

Cheers again.
Andy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 19 queries.