Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone know about VW T4 Transporters?  (Read 2577 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Anyone know about VW T4 Transporters?
« on: 22 February 2011, 22:43:18 »

My brother is considering buying one to convert to a camper and has asked me to give it a once-over.

A long shot, I know, but anyone familiar with them and know what the likely pitfalls are?

It's a '99 model with the 2.5 TDI engine in it, I believe.

Any pointers gratefully received. :y

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know about VW T4 Transporters?
« Reply #1 on: 22 February 2011, 22:48:39 »

My brother is considering buying one to convert to a camper and has asked me to give it a once-over.

A long shot, I know, but anyone familiar with them and know what the likely pitfalls are?

Kevin

Pretty good motors TBH, although the engine is a little agricultural. The lump has 2 toothed belts... One at the front and one at the back for the injection pump (which is a PITA to do)... Look for Omegatoy's recent thread ;)

We had a beavertail at the garage I worked in an it was quite quick once you got it going (even when overweight :-X) but IIRC ours was a N/A version.

ISTR that the front suspension can be as troublesome as the Omega though :-/ :-/

If I were looking for something to make into a camper I'd probably be looking at Mercedes or, dare I say it, Transits... But that's just me ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 February 2011, 22:50:05 »

I don't, but I know a man (at work) that does!  :y I'll try to remember to ask him tomorrow.  :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 February 2011, 22:52:36 »

Obviously, being a smelly oil burner, maintenance is key... More frequent oil changes won't do it any harm ;)

IIRC ours was quite juicy though, although it was driven rather hard :-X ::)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 February 2011, 23:47:14 »

Thanks for the info so far. I remember Omegatoy's post, but didn't know it was of relevance until now. ;)

So, cam belt history a good bargaining point, by the sound of it. ::)

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

damon80

• Wigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 February 2011, 01:03:27 »

Kevin

Possibly of no help whatsoever, but I've recently had a drive of a "60" Plate Transporter - went like stink, and used bugger-all diesel.  We've got a coach-built motorhome at the mo, and I said to the wife after driving the VW - once we get rid of the nippers, we've gotta get a camper based on one of these!  :D

But hopefully this will be of more use to your brother, by way of more general camper-van/motorome feedback from our experience...:
- Is he looking at sticking to campsites, or is he looking at "wild camping"?
- Does he have any kids?
- Do they camp in the winter, or just the summer months?
- Are they looking at going into Europe, or just the UK?

Then there's loads of more questions around the kind of layout they're after... 

We've gone from tent to caravan, back to tent, then back to caravan, then motorhome (pre-nipper, and then with nipper), so have plenty of advice to offer depending on their circumstances - please to feel free to PM me on their behalf if you want, and me and the wife will be more than happy to reply with ideas  :y

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 February 2011, 09:07:18 »

As it happens, i fix a lot of these as they are imported from germany then sold on to spanish, after metriculation to spanish plates including itv test etc!!!

If it is the 2.5tdi, you will be impressed with performance,keep oof the loud pedal and the consumtion for such a big van is very good, as said belts are a pain, and the injection pump belt can only be set up by computer or good dti gauge, but there is a lot of faffing around to do on it to get it right, it will run when you close enoiugh but the economy stinks and the power is down till you get it smack on!!! DMF can give trouble and is a pain in the arse to do, obviuosly do the clutch at the same time, drive shaft cv can get noisy after high miles so check these carefully although a pretty easy job to sort due to the design,
check the rubbers carefully as they split and get left,
sliding doors ALWAYS have dents in them!!! intercoolers can rot through so check, carefully, oil and filters are a must very regularly, front steps can rot easily fronmt shocks can wear owing to the weight of the front end, very often find rear calipers sticky as they dont get much work when its empty, brake fluid is very rarely clean as no one changes it,
abs can sometimes give trouble if its fitted, with warning lights coming on when they feel like it, usually sensor probs
thats about it that i can think of at the moment :-/ and of coourse this is only the mechanical side, body and interior you should you think of anything ask?

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 February 2011, 09:29:37 »

... and the injection pump belt can only be set up by computer or good dti gauge, but there is a lot of faffing around to do on it to get it right, it will run when you close enoiugh but the economy stinks and the power is down till you get it smack on!!!...

But ISTR that, as long as the belt has never broken, the pulley can be locked like most oil burners and then it's a simple belt change :-/ :-/

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 February 2011, 09:54:06 »

... and the injection pump belt can only be set up by computer or good dti gauge, but there is a lot of faffing around to do on it to get it right, it will run when you close enoiugh but the economy stinks and the power is down till you get it smack on!!!...

But ISTR that, as long as the belt has never broken, the pulley can be locked like most oil burners and then it's a simple belt change :-/ :-/

agreed!! hopwever its not unknown for the nut to undo itself on the end of the pump, allowing the belt to fall off, as i found!!
belt is still in one piece but not anywhere near where it should be!!! :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 February 2011, 10:12:11 »

agreed!! hopwever its not unknown for the nut to undo itself on the end of the pump, allowing the belt to fall off, as i found!!

I would have thought that was down to poor maintenance in the past though... IME it's very common for only the front belt to get changed ;)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 February 2011, 10:18:25 »

Ahh, and the timing is set by positioning the pulley on the pump shaft?

I did find some information on the web about cam belt changes that suggests using VAG-COM to check the timing afterwards.

http://www.howtomendit.com/answers.php?id=127761

With a bit of luck it'll have plenty of service history but I now know it's worth a fair bit off the price if not. :y

Possibly of no help whatsoever, but I've recently had a drive of a "60" Plate Transporter - went like stink, and used bugger-all diesel.  We've got a coach-built motorhome at the mo, and I said to the wife after driving the VW - once we get rid of the nippers, we've gotta get a camper based on one of these!  Cheesy

But hopefully this will be of more use to your brother, by way of more general camper-van/motorome feedback from our experience...:
- Is he looking at sticking to campsites, or is he looking at "wild camping"?
- Does he have any kids?
- Do they camp in the winter, or just the summer months?
- Are they looking at going into Europe, or just the UK?

Then there's loads of more questions around the kind of layout they're after...

I would assume camp sites, but I guess a van makes the latter more viable than using a tent. Not really sure, TBH.

No kids.

Mostly summer camping, as far as I am aware.

I would imagine taking it to Europe would be on the cards once a year or so but most usage would be in the UK.

I have a mate who has just had a windfall and bought an 18 month old professionally converter T5 camper which might be a good source of ideas. Very nice indeed, although he didn't half pay for it. :o

Only the 80BHP diesel engine though. :(

Kevin

damon80

• Wigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 February 2011, 12:03:40 »

In that case Kevin, a VW Camper would certainly fit the bill  :y

Reason why I asked about kids, winter etc etc was that they can get quite a bit pokey inside if there's 4 of you sat in it in the depths of winter when you can't sit outside.  But given there's no kids involved, then they could use it comfortably all year round.

And if they spend most of their time on campsites, they probably could do without making provisions for a washroon - just use the on-site facilities.

And oh yes, some of the professionally converted jobbies cost an absolute fortune! :o  We've looked at a few, and struggle to see where the money goes given you can get a new coachbuilt one with more space and bells and whistles than you get with a camper  for the same money!

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 February 2011, 12:21:01 »

I did find some information on the web about cam belt changes that suggests using VAG-COM to check the timing afterwards.

erm no,,

pump pulley is woodruff key, you set timeing by adjusting  cam position relative to pump!!!
and its a pain to do, cam pulley pump end is taper fit so you loosen it after setting pump and crank postion, lock pump turn engine back a little ,tighten cam pulley un;ock pump, turn engine forwards to timing marks check cam pulley to see how far you have moved it, mark new psotion start it and try it!!!
lol to adjust the final bit on co,mputer you simply have engine running :-/ then adjust the pump belts tension to get it spot on, tensioner has a nice lttle allen key hole to move the tension round the tensioner!!!sounds blooming dangerous to me!!! :y
« Last Edit: 23 February 2011, 12:21:58 by Omegatoy »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 February 2011, 13:15:06 »

erm no,,

pump pulley is woodruff key, you set timeing by adjusting  cam position relative to pump!!!
and its a pain to do, cam pulley pump end is taper fit so you loosen it after setting pump and crank postion, lock pump turn engine back a little ,tighten cam pulley un;ock pump, turn engine forwards to timing marks check cam pulley to see how far you have moved it, mark new psotion start it and try it!!!
lol to adjust the final bit on co,mputer you simply have engine running :-/ then adjust the pump belts tension to get it spot on, tensioner has a nice lttle allen key hole to move the tension round the tensioner!!!sounds blooming dangerous to me!!! :y

OK. Understood.  :y

Sounds about as much fun as setting the cam timing on the Westfield.

With a bit of luck it'll have plenty of life left on the cam belt; otherwise, I'll make a mental note not to volunteer myself for the job. ;D At least, not unless I'm seriously bored.

Kevin

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 February 2011, 13:22:03 »

In that case Kevin, a VW Camper would certainly fit the bill  :y
And oh yes, some of the professionally converted jobbies cost an absolute fortune! :o  We've looked at a few, and struggle to see where the money goes given you can get a new coachbuilt one with more space and bells and whistles than you get with a camper  for the same money!

Sounds good, then.

I suspect the prices are down to supply and demand. Everyone appears to want one so I guess they can name their price - for those who aren't handy enough to convert their own.

There certainly didn't seem to be much in this one, although it was done neatly. Folding bed / bench seat bolted to the floor, a couple of cupboards and a bit of worktop, gas cooker and sink, lights, some trim and a revolving front passenger seat. That was pretty much it.

Kevin
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.