Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Postage costs . . shocked !  (Read 1711 times)

powerslinky

Postage costs . . shocked !
« on: 26 May 2015, 15:04:51 »

Just been to PO to get a couple of parcels priced .

Just an air suspension pump wrapped in cardboard etc.     cheapest way from Royal Fail £12.98    :o :o :o :o :o

And same price for well wrapped CDC2006 HU   :o :o :o :o

Been a while since i posted any parcels but crikey I thought that was a bit steep :-\ :-\ :-\

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Postage costs . . shocked !
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2015, 15:07:29 »

Not overly sure on this Al.....but I thought my lad sent stuff through Parcel Force....they picked it up and it cost a tenner :-\
Global value cheapest.....but 4 day delivery
http://www.parcelforce.com/help-and-advice/download-our-uk-prices
« Last Edit: 26 May 2015, 15:14:40 by terbert »
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2015, 15:14:30 »

Companies like Collect plus are doing the same/superior service for about half the cost. If you go on parceltogo you register, and then get your first parcel sent for free! Worth saving that one up for when you have a pair of front shocks to move, or something else fairly unwieldy. Also Collectplus you get an almost hour-by-hour tracking service. So instead of knowing that your parcel will be here 'today or tomorrow, probably' you know that the van was just over an hour away, about an hour ago, etc.. Used them many times myself, never had issue.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2015, 15:21:05 »

Oh, and in my experience, the PO are buggers for me going in, saying I need this sending, cheap as poss, how much please. They weigh, give a price, when I stand a bit exasperated or debating, they then turn round and say something like 'oh, unless you'd like it to go 2nd class?' or similar - well, yes!!! Hence 'cheap as poss' 'ohh, well, that will be blah blah price then'

Also worth knowing a few bits like you're covered up to £35 (I think) under a normal stamp - well let's say you have something that's worth £36. When asked the value of the contents you blindly say 'it's worth £36, yes" "Ohh, well, you best have it insured, then, sir" "Oh, had I? Oh, thank you fine Post Office Employee" you are taking a gamble - but  don't bother paying the extra lump (and it will be a fair whack) for having it insured. Ok, so it may get lost - but if it does you'd be a £1 down only - and there's 99.9% probability it won't. You can save a fair bit doing that every week.

:)

Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2015, 15:21:56 »

I've had nothing but problems with 'Parcels2Go Missing'. They lost a set of G cams I posted out. So I sent the second set I had out, the first set turns up 6 weeks later. I get them back thanks to honest buyer. Get them home, one of the lobes was chipped. Brilliant.

I now use UPS through www.interparcel.com I drop the parcel off at any number of shops I happen to be passing that day.

FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

powerslinky

« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2015, 15:26:16 »

From 5 - 10 kg with hermes £7.28  dropped by me at the shop 250 yards away   ;)

2-5 Kg     £4 odd . . . gotta get my scales out ;D ;D ;D

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2015, 15:27:11 »

Ahh, should clarify - parceltogo are a sort of umbrella site, of various courier and postage services. By any chance was it via MyHermes or Yodel? They're legendarily bad.

Anyone remember this story?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world-war-1/540888/Tower-of-London-poppy-Yodel-courier-throws-parcel-Twitter-broken-damaged

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
  • VX Trade Card, Halfords Trade Card. Neat.
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2015, 15:36:19 »

I wouldn't bother going to the Post Office for deliveries tbh. It has become a very expensive way of sending parcels. 99.9% of the time I use http://www.interparcel.com to get Hermes or UPS to collect. Insured, trackable deliveries for peanuts, and you don't need to leave the house. Hoorah!
http://www.irmscherMV6.com | #irmscherMV6
Genuine Tech1 and Tech2 diagnostic services for Vauxhalls and Saabs available in and around Cambs.
PM with your requests.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2015, 15:37:39 »

Final tip - none of the courier people take the weights particularly seriously and there isn't the forensic checking like the Royal Mail do. (they've now clamped down on people re-using stamps  :o oooh, that must have put the mockers on all four of the OAPs who reuse the odd stamp, thus saving the Post Office possibly as much as £5 a year. Stingy sods!)

Anyway, I digress, so if your parcel is 6kg, you''ll easily get away with it in the <5kg category. is what I'm saying, and so on.

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 May 2015, 15:42:45 »

If the parcel is light, then PO isn't that bad. I sent a HDD away at the weekend, cost £4.41 I think for signed for.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
  • VX Trade Card, Halfords Trade Card. Neat.
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2015, 16:55:08 »

In my experience, couriers are concerned with overall size (rather than weight). After all, they need to ensure that all the boxes fit in the van!
http://www.irmscherMV6.com | #irmscherMV6
Genuine Tech1 and Tech2 diagnostic services for Vauxhalls and Saabs available in and around Cambs.
PM with your requests.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2015, 17:05:54 »

I would agree with the above. Post office are pricing themselves into oblivion (hopefully), Parcel2go have the worst customer service in the known universe. Interparcel are the best option.  :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2015, 18:49:08 »

I was surprised at the low cost recently, I just sold some Sony LTX 400g backup server tapes. I had a box of 5 of them, wrapped up not that light. But only £2.80 to post.

Guess it's size that is the issue?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2015, 18:52:35 »

I was surprised at the low cost recently, I just sold some Sony LTX 400g backup server tapes. I had a box of 5 of them, wrapped up not that light. But only £2.80 to post.

Nicked from Rupert :o ;)

If you get any more, feel free to donate to OOF, as long as they haven't had too many writes. Existing tapes are getting towards end of service life :(
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 May 2015, 18:56:03 »

Nicked from Rupert :o ;)

If you get any more, feel free to donate to OOF, as long as they haven't had too many writes. Existing tapes are getting towards end of service life :(

Actually from my previous job. Been sitting in a box for about 3 years, only just found them.

I thought I did offer them once, but they were the wrong type?

They were brand new as well  :(
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.