Omega Help Area > Omega Electrical and Audio Help

Alternator light very dimly lit

(1/3) > >>

GastronomicKleptomaniac:
Right, my Omega's an ex-plod, 3.2. Originally with GLS trim inside (AFAIK), previous owner has fitted heated leather.

I noticed last night that when the headlamps, blowers, and pax heated seat were on, the alternator light was very, very dimly lit. I'm assuming it's down to the load being put through it causing a problem.

Apart from banning Woman from having a toasty bottom... where do I start? I've cleaned the positive battery terminal up recently... I'm thinking either a fault with the alternator or the battery (which looks to be the original, 164k old)...

Oh, and any recommendations for a decent, reasonably priced multimeter? I assume I'm going to need one...

tigers_gonads:
Stick a meter across the battery terminals and see what the voltage is at idle with a good load on then without a load.
If your lucky, you might get away with changing the diode pack on the alternator  :y

Multimeter from B&Q 
About a tenner  :y

Lazydocker:
My money is on a degraded crimp connection at the battery terminals ;)

zirk:
Most ex plod have upgraded Alternators, so should be able to cope, so as suggested, Battery on its way out, Battery terminals, bad Neg return, or loose or slipping Aux belt. 

Martian:

--- Quote from: tigers_gonads on 04 March 2012, 18:27:50 ---Stick a meter across the battery terminals and see what the voltage is at idle with a good load on then without a load.
If your lucky, you might get away with changing the diode pack on the alternator  :y

Multimeter from B&Q 
About a tenner  :y

--- End quote ---
Make that 2500rpm.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version