Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Duff V6 GM Crank Sensor!  (Read 4827 times)

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
Duff V6 GM Crank Sensor!
« on: 17 April 2021, 17:52:14 »

Well, so much for buying a 'genuine Vauxhall crankshaft sensor from a genuine Vauxhall dealer that you have to genuinely walk into...' My 2.6 began being intermittently reluctant to fire recently, although would crank forever. No EML, so I changed the crank sensor with brand new boxed (sealed) genuine GM sensor bought from Vauxhall. After fitting, it cranked and fired virtually straight way. Happy Days, I thought. Turned off, and after putting the tools away, decided to go for a test drive. Same symptoms  >:( - would crank for ever and a day, but not fire. Checked sensor was fitted in the block square, removed it to make sure no contaminants had got onto it, refitted it, but still nothing. Decided to remove a known used Bosch sensor from a 3.2 which was running well before being laid up for spares (rotten front chassis rails) a few years ago. Fitted it, and it has started everytime. After several test runs, all is well, starting first turn everytime.
I realise sometimes parts are faulty, but you wouldn't expect it from a genuine Vauxhall part bought from a genuine Vauxhall dealer that you .......etc etc............you know what I'm saying.
I heard that at some point there was a faulty batch, but this may be fiction?
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
Re: Duff V6 GM Crank Sensor!
« Reply #1 on: 17 April 2021, 18:10:23 »

that's not good  :(
I've had brand new parts not work before ,very frustrating and leaves you questioning your diagnosis
it's good you had a known good working one to try though  :)
is there any chance of refund or replacement on the new but not working item ?

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 April 2021, 18:25:26 »

You've misunderstood the reason for buying a genuine GM part by walking into a dealer.

It's not that it's going to be any more reliable than buying the same sensor that's genuine Bosch/Siemens/whatever, but that your chances of getting a genuine one are much higher. Some haggling means the price shouldn't be much different to a branded part.

The return procedure if it does prove to be faulty should be easier.

We have to accept that this is going to be fairly old stock, although that's more likely to affect parts that contain rubber and plastic like gaskets, seals, HBVs and so on.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 April 2021, 18:30:43 »

Metal case or plastic case on the sensor, 3.2 dont like metal case sensor,, that's my own finding,others may say different.
Hoof'land storeman.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 April 2021, 19:44:47 »

It was a GM Bosch sensor with an identical Bosch id no as the old one (and the good used GM Bosch sensor) with a plastic head to the sensor itself where the part number is.
I might try my hand at returning it to the dealership as I have a good relationship with them having bought my VX parts there for at least 17 years, but not holding my breath as I bought it at a very good price a couple of years ago with a box full of other 'service items' when they were clearing their shelves of 'out of date' Omega stock. If they can't change it due to the time lapse, then I'm not unduly worried as they have always given me very good discount, but having said that I'm just miffed it was faulty from a sealed genuine VX box, and even more so that I had to do the job effectively 2 1/2 times!!

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 April 2021, 21:41:27 »

You've misunderstood the reason for buying a genuine GM part by walking into a dealer.

The reasons and benefits of buying a genuine VX part direct from a VX dealer are quite obvious, and apart from virtually guaranteeing the item is a genuine GM part, you would also expect it to work as intended / designed. So, no, I have not misunderstood the recommendations as to the sourcing of a sensor relative to their supposed reliability. I mentioned the points about being a genuine sensor/ dealer / walking into it to reduce the chances of these now 'repetitive' points possibly being raised.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 April 2021, 22:15:33 »

The reasons and benefits of buying a genuine VX part direct from a VX dealer are quite obvious, and apart from virtually guaranteeing the item is a genuine GM part, you would also expect it to work as intended / designed. So, no, I have not misunderstood the recommendations as to the sourcing of a sensor relative to their supposed reliability. I mentioned the points about being a genuine sensor/ dealer / walking into it to reduce the chances of these now 'repetitive' points possibly being raised.

???

I've read your post several times, and still can't decide if you're agreeing, or disagreeing with me as you've just re-phrased everything I wrote.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 April 2021, 23:26:53 »

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with your comments - I am just stating the facts as they happened to me.

Genuine dealer - genuine part - expectation that it works as intended.
Alternative purchase options were -
EBay / Amazon (of advertised GM / Bosch item)  - possibility of a genuine part  but some suggest could be fakes (although all my past Bosch purchases on Ebay have been genuine parts) with fingers xd's that it works as intended.
EBay/ Amazon purchase of non genuine / aftermarket part - likelihood of early failure a possibility / reality?

So I don't really know why you are picking holes in the facts as I explained them - VX dealer, genuine part, high expectations that that it should work. Unfortunately it didn't. Simple really.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 April 2021, 00:29:10 »

Meanwhile in other news...

It would seem that the issue isn't with the part failing or from whence it came but the opportunity to have a dig a tried and tested advice.

Buy the next one from Faceachebook market place and then spend the next six months going on about how good it is because I didn't suggest it. ;D

Buy ensuring that you buy a genuine one, you minimise the likelihood of a failure. My memory is fading but I suspect that it is the second genuine one, (purchased from a genuine Vauxhall dealer that you genuinely have to walk in to) that has failed since I first joined the forum in 2009. Whereas buying them anywhete else is a crapshoot with 50/50 odds of it lasting a month.
Onanists always think outside the box.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 April 2021, 10:22:44 »

It would seem that the issue isn't with the part failing or from whence it came but the opportunity to have a dig a tried and tested advice.

Buy the next one from Faceachebook market place and then spend the next six months going on about how good it is because I didn't suggest it. ;D

You're being bit over sensitive I think.... :)

Had I just stated I had fitted a brand new Vauxhall sensor and it was faulty / didn't work, I am certain that the usual reply about buying any other than a genuine part from a genuine Vauxhall dealer that you genuinely have to walk into' would have been the first point raised.....
Mentioning it from the outset saved it having to be asked - and confirmed that I had adhered to the recommendations.....
I wouldn't even have considered fitting an aftermarket electrical part bought on the Internet, especially the crank sensor.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 April 2021, 11:19:09 »

Your first sentence of your first post suggests different as I am the one who consistently phrased the advice that way.

Anyhoo, the advice stands.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 April 2021, 12:37:56 »

There's a lot more than 2 genuine ,from a dealer omega sensors failed  ::)

because the ones fitted to the cars at the factory where purchased from a dealer and where genuine ,albeit purchased as a package of parts (the Omega)  :D

never had a Carlton crank sensor fail in 20 years of ownership (4 Carltons)

I have had 2 astra H crank sensors with intermittent faults I've replaced

so maybe the newer manufacturing processes are to blame  :-\

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 April 2021, 14:15:18 »

Smart arse :P

The loom bakes over time, which in turn corrupts the signal from the sensor. They typically last as long as the suspension bushes...

My plod had a new sensor at 130k which was still on the car when I sold it at well north of 260k having been routed as per the guide.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 April 2021, 16:47:57 »

never had a Carlton crank sensor fail in 20 years of ownership (4 Carltons)

I never had one fail on my Senators or Carlton or Manta either .... mainly because they had a dizzy & points  ::) ::)

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 April 2021, 16:58:27 »

Never had to replace any on my two Omegas just lucky I guess.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 17 queries.