Omega Help Area > Omega Electrical and Audio Help

Central locking inoperative using key fob.

<< < (3/6) > >>

cam.in.head:
also whilst you are examining the fob battery holder for bad connections it is worth trying different batteries. (or original)just because they are new doesnt always guarantee they are perfect.
im assuming both fobs used to work and did they (or main one) work up to battery replacement ?
also but sorry to insult your intelligence and not sure if it would even work but can the batterybe fitted upside down ?( silly question i know !)
then follow usual resyncing process.

johnnydog:

--- Quote from: Doctor Gollum on 20 November 2021, 13:00:19 ---TVP dumped two perfectly good V70s because neither would start... Originally in the workshops for completely unrelated issues and suddenly wouldn't start.

Turned out the keys were swapped by accident.

So don't rule out the stupidly unlikely just because you don't believe that you could do it... Someone else may have.

--- End quote ---

Definately / 100% not the case.....there is no rhyme or reason that could have happened.....

--- Quote from: cam.in.head on 20 November 2021, 17:51:51 ---also whilst you are examining the fob battery holder for bad connections it is worth trying different batteries. (or original)just because they are new doesnt always guarantee they are perfect.
im assuming both fobs used to work and did they (or main one) work up to battery replacement ?
also but sorry to insult your intelligence and not sure if it would even work but can the batterybe fitted upside down ?( silly question i know !)
then follow usual resyncing process.

--- End quote ---

I've replaced the replacement batteries for that reason, and they are the correct way round. Because the main fob stopped working for no reason lead me to first suspect the battery.

--- Quote from: TheBoy

link=topic=148915.msg1993422#msg1993422 date=1637414496 ---As Nick W explained, the fact that the mechanical key works, and the car starts are nothing to do with the remote locking/unlocking.

The immobiliser chip is the tiny plastic oblong glued into the U shaped piece of the key, and not part of the fob that detaches to change battery (on post 1998 cars).

So it sounds to me like the fob(s) just aren't working, but everything else is.

The fault code is a red herring.  I'm going to assume the car has an alarm, as only cars equipped with ATWS have a fault code 32 - standard Central Locking only ones do not.  On ATWS equipped cars, fault code 32 is inclination sensor malfunction.

Now, I'm making the assumption* that the fobs used to fully work, and nobody has been doing any programming on the system.

I'm also making the assumption** that attempts to synchronise the key have been successful (indicated by the lock/unlock action during the procedure).

So we're back to the original checks of ensuring the battery holder is secure and making good electrical contact with the PCB :)

*If that assumption is incorrect, then the fobs need to be of the correct type, and programmed correctly to the car using a Tech2.

** If that assumption is incorrect, then try the resin procedure. If that fails, the fob either isn't working, or has not been programmed to the car.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for all the info. Just wondering about whether to get the existing keys properly refurbed or just bite the bullet with new key fobs (not cheap versions) and get them reprogrammed...

TD:
Sounds liken the same fault my Mondeo had....

Remotes wont lock/unlock the doors but using the key does.
Unlock the drivers door with the key, then i had about 10 seconds to put the ignition on/start the car before the alarm went off.

Mine was diagnosed as a faulty control module inside the dashboard.
Cost of module was estimated at 600, then there was the cost of removing the dash to get to it and then replace the dash.

I replaced the batteries in the fobs but didnt make any difference!

I lived with the problem and then sold the car to a car dealer... i didnt have a guilty conscience ....

Might not be your problem....just it sounds a lot like the fault my Mondeo had....

cam.in.head:
it does seem strange thou that two fobs for the car have now stopped working and wont resync.especially if the alarm / central locking is working ok manually.
if it were me i would try yet another battery of a totally different batch and 100% be sure all the board connections ( battery holder,switches are ok and that the switches are actually closing and opening )are good and try another resync.
for the minor hassle of resetting the electric windows and roof wont do any harm(or nothing at all !)to disconnect battery for a bit ?
mightbe worth for what it takes to make sure the alarm/central locking ecu is properly plugged in .

you say that the keys have been tested and are giving out a signal so cannot understand why they would loose their programm as such. maybee they can ? ?

sorry if im repeating the obvious or previous mentioned suggestions here .

TheBoy:
TD - the control units in the Omega are generally rock solid for reliability, although that's no guarantee that its that.  On the Omega, the same control unit deals with central locking and opening the boot (on facelift saloons), so sounds like the unit has not failed completely, though may have developed a fault on the antenna side.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version