Omega Help Area > Omega Electrical and Audio Help

Central locking inoperative using key fob.

<< < (4/9) > >>

johnnydog:
Thanks Chris - only one of the keys (the main key) is giving out a signal. The 'spare' isn't sending any signal at all apparantly.
Cheers TB; the antenna does seem plausible to check re the a sudden failure.
Could you tell me where the antenna is situated please?

I have an old 3 button base with a pcb from a previous 51 plate Omega Elite I had - it was replaced years ago with a new one by Vauxhall because the rubber edges had split by the key ring bar, but it was fully functional when replaced.
If it is on the same transmitting wavelength, with the transponder chip with horseshoe swapped over, would that work on this Omega, with or without re programming? to then eliminate other issues that have been suggested, such as the key itself?
Sorry for all the questions....

TheBoy:
You only have the key cutters word that one fob is sending.  I'm dubious that the key cutter knew what he was doing, so not going to take that as a definite.

Have you checked the battery holder connections to the PCB on either fob yet?

As for the 3rd, old, fob, that depends entirely on whether or not the dealer erased the old fobs from the car.  The car allows up to 5 fobs to be programmed, so that might have left the old fob programmed.  Impossible to say without plugging a Tech2 into the car.

The antenna is built into the ATWS ECU.  Its part of the PCB.  The antenna itself won't have failed (its passive), but if the surrounding electronics have, then it could stop the receiving side working.  It would be a very rare fault, pretty much unheard of.  Due to the varnish added to that PCB, diagnosis and repair is difficult, and if it was that that was faulty, I'd suggest a good 2nd hand replacement with 2 programmed key fobs and a carpass.

*HOWEVER*, I cannot stress enough, I believe your problem is with your existing fobs and/or the associated programming (esp if that key cutter plugged anything into the car's diags port)

johnnydog:

--- Quote from: TheBoy on 21 November 2021, 11:07:08 ---You only have the key cutters word that one fob is sending.  I'm dubious that the key cutter knew what he was doing, so not going to take that as a definite.

Have you checked the battery holder connections to the PCB on either fob yet?

As for the 3rd, old, fob, that depends entirely on whether or not the dealer erased the old fobs from the car.  The car allows up to 5 fobs to be programmed, so that might have left the old fob programmed.  Impossible to say without plugging a Tech2 into the car.

The antenna is built into the ATWS ECU.  Its part of the PCB.  The antenna itself won't have failed (its passive), but if the surrounding electronics have, then it could stop the receiving side working.  It would be a very rare fault, pretty much unheard of.  Due to the varnish added to that PCB, diagnosis and repair is difficult, and if it was that that was faulty, I'd suggest a good 2nd hand replacement with 2 programmed key fobs and a carpass.

*HOWEVER*, I cannot stress enough, I believe your problem is with your existing fobs and/or the associated programming (esp if that key cutter plugged anything into the car's diags port)

--- End quote ---

Cheers TB and Nick W - you were both correct in your diagnosis - tvm.
I decided to check the ATWS ECU / module (not that I really thought there was any issue with it following all the advice on here), but considering I had removed it last year when I had the water leak from the sunroof drains which had run down the A pillar into the footwell, and as the car had not been on the road since the leak was sorted until the beginning of November, I wasn't really sure when the remote had packed up. However, there was no signs of damp, water ingress or damage, and all connectors were secure, so it had to be the keys themselves.
I ended up speaking to an ex VX technician who is a 'whizz' with vehicle electrics (according to my local VX garage), and he quickly ascertained that the fault the simplest of issues - one was on the PCB of the fob that was not sending out a signal, and the other fob that was sending out a signal just wasn't sync'd to the car. User error on my behalf obviously - I hadn't been operating the lock / unlock buttons enough I'm told, so all is now well with a fully operational remote central locking. And the duff fob is being repaired - some soldering apparently, so all should be good.

The advice on here was good and accurate - thanks to all :y. Even though it was, in hindsight, a 'schoolboy error' on my part for not syncing the fob correctly. At least the first car locksmith got something right - that one was was not working..... ::)

johnnydog:
And the duff fob has now been repaired - a faulty resistor (?I think he said?) on the circuit board, so I now have two working fobs  :D Thanks for the suggestions by all :y

TheBoy:
Glad its all sorted, and hopefully cheaply as well :y

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version