Chat Area > General Car Chat

Rear Brakes Question

(1/8) > >>

Lizzie Zoom:
As you may have noted from my other thread a major service I have just carried out, where I have yet again adjusted both the handbrake cable and rear brakes,  out of interest I am wondering why we have to adjust both together?

As the handbrake cable is a separate adjustment to the rear shoes, why is it not advisable to just adjust the handbrake cable to achieve the optimum "5 clicks"?

I have faithfully followed the guide on every Omega I have owned, but although to some it may be a stupid question, what is the technical answer please. ??? ??? ;)

YZ250:
When you adjust the star wheel to the point that it's just backed off a tad from binding the hub, you know that when you pull on the handbrake it should pull evenly on both hubs. If one star wheel is out and one is in, the cable will go tight on the closer side, requiring a mighty pull on the handbrake to get the other side to grip, and this upsets the mot man due to insufficient braking force.  ;D. If they are both equal, the handbrake cable should stop both wheels on the roller equally, which just leaves the handbrake cable adjustment to reduce any slack.
Hope that's what you meant anyway.  :y

Lizzie Zoom:

--- Quote from: YZ250 on 19 January 2022, 12:48:26 ---When you adjust the star wheel to the point that it's just backed off a tad from binding the hub, you know that when you pull on the handbrake it should pull evenly on both hubs. If one star wheel is out and one is in, the cable will go tight on the closer side, requiring a mighty pull on the handbrake to get the other side to grip, and this upsets the mot man due to insufficient braking force.  ;D. If they are both equal, the handbrake cable should stop both wheels on the roller equally, which just leaves the handbrake cable adjustment to reduce any slack.
Hope that's what you meant anyway.  :y

--- End quote ---

Yes, thanks YZ250, that is what I wanted to know, and now I do! ;D :y :y

I have wondered that for years!! ::) ;)

Andy B:
which raise the question of why you use it on an auto?  ::) ::)  ;)

Nick W:

--- Quote from: Andy B on 19 January 2022, 14:17:11 ---which raise the question of why you use it on an auto?  ::) ::) ;)

--- End quote ---

Because you know just how weak the park lock mechanism in the gearbox is?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version