Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MFL Climate control  (Read 2469 times)

Vitaliy

• Knezha, Bulgaria
    • OpelOmega B 2.5 v6 Estate
    • View Profile
MFL Climate control
« on: 24 July 2013, 15:35:09 »

Hi chaps.

So long story short - 3 weeks ago bought v6 2.5 manual estate with lpg , climate control, etc,etc. ( believe its MV6 spec). Anyways previous owner was a fan of quick and cheap repairs. Had to clean up quite a bit of wiring messes.(mostly alarm related) One thing that needed to be done was backlight on climate control unit. Well all was working fine till than. so i removed climate control dash and replaced bulbs at the back. Now flaps wont work. I did reset by holding both auto and off buttons for 10 seconds. Still no joy. So one rainy evening in mountain pass switched to hot  - air was not a bit hotter than outside temperature.

What have i done wrong? 

Flaps were working for sure before refitting bulbs. Not sure heater was as you would think no one is trying heater in this weather.

So is it flaps or control unit problem?

iliak

• Moscow Russia
    • Opel Omega B, X25XE
    • View Profile
Re: MFL Climate control
« Reply #1 on: 24 July 2013, 17:02:46 »

Hi Vitaliy.
Possibly the heater is clogged. I think if you remove the glove compartment (that's easy) you can get access to the heater. Turn your clima control on and carefully touch the heater, I'm almost sure it'll be just slightly warm.
If it's hot then it must be problem with flaps.
I don't think there's any connection with your previous manipulations, probably just a coincidence.
By the way, during reset did you hear flaps moving?
« Last Edit: 24 July 2013, 17:05:48 by iliak »

Vitaliy

• Knezha, Bulgaria
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 July 2013, 17:32:44 »

Hi
Thanks for reply.
Will investigate further, but my train of thoughts: if something happened with control unit - wouldn't it affect the valve that stops vacuum for hot coolant redirection valve (sound confusing).

I think I have heard the valves move during reset. But not since. Even when trying to redo the reset once more.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 July 2013, 18:50:29 »

Seeing as you had the unit out, ensure both connectors on back on panel are firmly seated.
Grumpy old man

Vitaliy

• Knezha, Bulgaria
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 July 2013, 19:01:00 »

just removed the pannel once more. will resolder ( to make sure no cold solder) both connectors.

Noticed something odd. There is a rod behind radio unit that one side of it is not connected to anything??? its not the release lever for facia. its further down and is just visible with stereo removed and looked deep.

its not connected to anything on the right ( mind you the whole heater assembly might be mirrored as i have LHD car).

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 July 2013, 19:06:10 »

Could be one of the blend flaps.  Not got a good pic of the heater layout...
Grumpy old man

iliak

• Moscow Russia
    • Opel Omega B, X25XE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 July 2013, 07:49:44 »

Hi
Thanks for reply.
Will investigate further, but my train of thoughts: if something happened with control unit - wouldn't it affect the valve that stops vacuum for hot coolant redirection valve (sound confusing).

The important thing about the heater vacuum-driven valve is that when vacuum is off, the valve is OPEN.
Actually, this valve is closed on very rare curcumstances, like if you set your climate control to "Low".

This means if you (temporarily) disconnect vacuum pipe from inlet manifold (I mean the plastic one near the vacuum brake booster), your heater valve will open.

Vitaliy

• Knezha, Bulgaria
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 July 2013, 08:20:56 »

Hi

thanks for replies -good news - its all working now. Resoldered connectors, reset once more and hey flaps are working. Cant check heater now - way too hot  to see the bloody difference ( besides I am at work now - dont tell the mayor what i am writing now).

Got pics in the morning of the bloody rod that is loose. its not loose anymore - its in my house - were trying to see where it should fit on the lose side and it has just fallen in my arms.  When the girl in my department goes somewhere will use her laptop for card reader to get pics.

will get pics asap.

Vitaliy

• Knezha, Bulgaria
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 July 2013, 09:15:26 »

Here are the pics:
These are self explanatory

Any idea what it does?

iliak

• Moscow Russia
    • Opel Omega B, X25XE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 July 2013, 09:40:02 »

As far as I know it controls direction of airflow (to the footwell, to the windshield, and so on)...

Vitaliy

• Knezha, Bulgaria
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 July 2013, 14:27:56 »

Hi
Well its not that as it does redirect the airflow with that rod removed. Might it be something like recirculation flap or something?

iliak

• Moscow Russia
    • Opel Omega B, X25XE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 July 2013, 15:45:47 »

Hi
Well its not that as it does redirect the airflow with that rod removed. Might it be something like recirculation flap or something?
I don't think so.. Recirculation flap control rod is under the glove compartment, it looks quite different and made of plastic.

Vitaliy

• Knezha, Bulgaria
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 July 2013, 16:57:42 »

Dont know. will try to see what is not working  ;D

sjc

• Alloa, Scotland
    • Ultra-dull Audi TDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 August 2013, 08:40:37 »

I had that rod come off on one of my previous Migs too.  Seem to remember finding it described as the defroster link rod but it did not seem to effect the function of the heater unit?!? 
My guess is that it's only used when climate control is set to auto and the unit detects that it needs to demist the front screen and it directs ALL output to the screen.
It's a fiddly one to get back in and mine just fell off again anyway (guess it had been mistaken for the pull-down bar to release the centre dash panel and the retaining clips had been broken).  On RHD, if you remove the glovebox and passenger airbag you can just see where it goes if you gently lever the wiring loom upwards toward the windscreen.  Not sure how it would be on LHD but that's the area you need to get into.
If you Elite an MV6, does that make it an MVee-leet?

sjc

• Alloa, Scotland
    • Ultra-dull Audi TDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 August 2013, 08:48:28 »

Oh, and also note that the centre of the bar clips onto the heater box - I think if you remove the frame/assembly for the pull-down release bar (for the centre dash panel) you'll get a better view of it.
If you Elite an MV6, does that make it an MVee-leet?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.