Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with CDC 2  (Read 4392 times)

coronaryman

• Halesowen West Midlands
    • View Profile
Problem with CDC 2
« on: 02 January 2008, 22:22:57 »

Hi all Happy New Year.
I am at a loss with this one. Finally got round to getting my autochanger code from the nice people @ bubblegum31. Code
entered perfectly and all seemed o.k. Today problem started that it would not recognise that there were cds in magazine and I got error messages on cds 1 to 4 but 5 and 6 would play o.k. Next it recognised that there were cds in 1 to 4 but I could get no sound. (Still ok on 5&6)
Now on 1 to 4 it will select the cd go to track 1 and after a few seconds I get a split second burst of sound and then silence again. 5&6 not quite as reliable as before. Have bought a new lens cleaner cd as thought this may be the problem as the unit has not worked for probably six months or so whilst the previous owner had the car. Sound on radio and cassette fine just a problem on cd autochanger.
Please help

Best regards
Mike
Best Regards

Mike

3.2omegaestate

Re: Problem with CDC 2
« Reply #1 on: 03 January 2008, 09:04:08 »

Are you using original cds or back up copies of your collection? Another thought - are the cds / player getting condensate on them preventing correct play.

The GF vectra CDC2 will not play back up copies.

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #2 on: 03 January 2008, 09:04:32 »

Make sure you are using genuine CD`s as that one is NOT CD/R compatable. Try the working discs in a different location in the magazine to see if it is the location or the discs that are not being read.

Getting to the age now where the lasers are wearing out, but can be refurbished if required.
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 January 2008, 13:24:26 »

It is most likely the laser failing now. I never used to have problems with copied cd's in mine.

To be honest you would probably be better getting a decent aftermarket cd/mp3 headunit. The difference is sound quality is very noticeable.
The Administrator.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 January 2008, 13:27:22 »

Make sure you are using genuine CD`s as that one is NOT CD/R compatable.

Can't say I ever had a problem reading copied discs in my CDC2 on the Vectra. I did always burn them at a slow speed though.

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #5 on: 03 January 2008, 16:07:59 »

Original Audio CD`s and Computer recordable CD`s are a completely different format. They may look the same, but they are wildy different.

Without bogging everybody down with too much technical detail, in laymans terms the size of the "Dots" on the recordable disc is much smaller than the original disc to account for the more heavily compressed data that can be written to it. Remember it was intended for computer use for backing up data, not for ripping tunes!

Although a "healthy" CD player may on occasion be able to read these smaller Dots, the laser is doing so much damage to itself due to the extra amount of focussing it has to do to read the much smaller dots that it will wear itself out very very fast due to the extra level of strain it is under.

As the Original OEM units many years ago were built purely to a budget with a design spec of make the stereo louder than the rattles of the car(!) they were never designed foir use with CDR`s. As later models were introduced with recordable discs being the norm, the in Car market are building units with smaller focussing lasers to cope with this. But, although this has been widely available for the aftermarket, the OEM manufacturers are only just starting to include it.

My advice would be that if you have an OEM head unit that was manufactured before 2004 and does NOT have MP3 markings, then it can pretty much be taken as read that it is NOT CD`r compatable.

There are a few exceptions to this, but not that will apply to Vauxhall !
www.dndservices.co.uk

coronaryman

• Halesowen West Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 January 2008, 19:01:08 »

Hi all and thanks for the info. I am using all genuine cds and not copies.
and I have tried swapping them around does not seem to make any difference. So it looks like the lazer could be failing. Is it a cost effective exercise to have the unit refurbed or would it be better to opt for a different unit all together. Car has Bose system fitted but shelf speakers not working when I bought car. Was hoping to get sorted but never seem to have time. If I opt for another unit would I be able to connect up to Bose system?

Best Regards Mike
Best Regards

Mike

irratic

• STOKE-ON-TRENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 January 2008, 19:14:23 »

is the cd autochanger in the drivers side boot compartment? if so i have the same problem, if the weather is cold or damp threw the night the autochanger comes up with error the next morning untill the car has warmed up..

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 January 2008, 19:31:52 »

The CDC2 has no issues reading CDRs, which virtually have same reflectivity as normal pressed CDs, hence why most (even older) players can read them.  If burned in correct format, shouldn't even need a compatible firmware.

CDRWs are a different kettle of fish. The lower reflectivity requires a different design of pickup, so older players cant deal with it. CDC2s cannot read CDRWs.

Sounds like the pickup is struggling, not uncommon on CD players that old, though the CDC2 is normally very robust.

Fortunately, CDC2s are nice and easy to pick up 2nd hand, though make sure you get right one (there are firmware variantions!), which is probably the best option - though my opinion is based on fact that I have yet to see an aftermarket headunit that doesn't look like it once belonged in a chavved up Nova with a baked bean tin welded on the tailpipe...
Grumpy old man

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #9 on: 03 January 2008, 20:35:39 »

The CDC2 has no issues reading CDRs, which virtually have same reflectivity as normal pressed CDs, hence why most (even older) players can read them.  If burned in correct format, shouldn't even need a compatible firmware.

I dispute that one fully !

The CDC2 was never designed to work with anything other than Genuine CD`s. I`m happy to discuss the Blue / Red and Green book of all aspects of Disc theory and construction, as it is my job !!

Just because some CDr`s work, it does not mean they should be used for the reasons given.

Refurb and laser replacement of a CDC2 with a 3 month warranty would be around the £125 mark through my company.
www.dndservices.co.uk

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 January 2008, 20:50:43 »

I have yet to see an aftermarket headunit that doesn't look like it once belonged in a chavved up Nova with a baked bean tin welded on the tailpipe...

Yipee! Someone of the same opinion as me. :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 January 2008, 21:25:18 »

I dispute that one fully !

The CDC2 was never designed to work with anything other than Genuine CD`s. I`m happy to discuss the Blue / Red and Green book of all aspects of Disc theory and construction, as it is my job !!

Just because some CDr`s work, it does not mean they should be used for the reasons given.

Refurb and laser replacement of a CDC2 with a 3 month warranty would be around the £125 mark through my company.
OK, we'll just have to agree to disagree on the technicalities.

That aside, I've yet to come across a working CDC2 that can't play any CDR I throw at it.

Unrelated, but same goes for the popular (in its day) changer that Rover used from mid 90s onwards. Or the old 10 disc Kenwood changer that I still have that I bought in 1990, long before CDR became a reality.
Grumpy old man

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #12 on: 03 January 2008, 22:08:50 »

A good and strong laser will often read them.

As far as the Rover ones, yes, you are quite correct, many of the Philips DC082 changers have very few issues with CDR`s, but then think about who designed the CDR format . . . . . .  Philips !!

Kenwoods? Now you are talking about Aftermarket changers, not OEM ones - different story!
www.dndservices.co.uk

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #13 on: 03 January 2008, 22:17:36 »

I have yet to see an aftermarket headunit that doesn't look like it once belonged in a chavved up Nova with a baked bean tin welded on the tailpipe...

I get asked that in the shop all the time, and as I love a challenge !
Have a look at the 2007 Becker Mexico Sat Nav

http://www.mybecker.com/beckerCms/www_root/ar03/templates/Ar03ProductMain.jsp?language=En&organisation=003&navSeq=219

Old Fasioned twiddly knob stereo that not only has virtually every feature under the sun, but looks equally at home in an old Classic !

OK, may be a little too retro looking for you Omega boyz !!
www.dndservices.co.uk

markey mark

• Omega Baron
  • SLady bitshorpe north lincs
  • banned for repeatedly reneaging on deals.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 January 2008, 22:35:45 »

dave can you decode cdc2 changers bud ?? thing is its been away for repair and come back with a different code and has been lost !! have tried at vauxhall and they got me three different codes but none worked !! and only have one try left ! can you recode it bud ?? cheers mark ;D
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.