Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Autobox gaskets?  (Read 1942 times)

Stu.C

• Lancashire
    • 2.0 Capri / 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • Visit the blog...
Autobox gaskets?
« on: 12 October 2021, 21:40:45 »

The 2.6 came with a couple of big jugs of ATF, as apparently changing the fluid was "on the list". The level seems okay in the box, but the changes can be sluggish and a bit wishy-washy - but hey, maybe they all are. There's no history or anything to indicate it's ever been changed, so worst case scenario is it's 18 years old and as thin as Tesco Value custard.

I've read through the maintenance guide, and other than it being a dirty 'orrible smelly job, seems straightforward enough. Can one generally rock up at your local dealer and they'll still do the filter and gaskets off the shelf, or is there somewhere on t'interweb it's easier/cheaper to use...?  :y
Nothing better to do ? Visit the blog at cuyahoga.co.uk

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Autobox gaskets?
« Reply #1 on: 12 October 2021, 21:54:20 »

Keith ABS on here might be worth contacting as the ABS club used to sell the filter and both gaskets.I take it you're aware that the filter itself can be "washed out" and re-used?

Stu.C

• Lancashire
    • 2.0 Capri / 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • Visit the blog...
« Reply #2 on: 12 October 2021, 22:05:01 »

I wasn't ta, but hadn't got much further into thinking the job through than pricing up the bits as yet - mostly to see if it just stayed on "the list" and I did something else instead  ;)

That's why threads like these are great for flushing out little tidbits of knowledge  :y 

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 October 2021, 22:19:04 »

Jpat used to do the gaskets, not sure of they still do.

2.6's always cling onto the lower gears regardless of if they have the original AR25 or it's been replaced with an AR35. My old 2.6 did it with both boxes and every one I've driven has been the same, 3.2s don't suffer the same problem.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 October 2021, 23:03:46 »

You can buy the filter from Vauxhall.
But once you discover the price, you'll clean the one in the gearbox

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 October 2021, 17:32:38 »

Jpat used to do the gaskets, not sure of they still do.

2.6's always cling onto the lower gears regardless of if they have the original AR25 or it's been replaced with an AR35. My old 2.6 did it with both boxes and every one I've driven has been the same, 3.2s don't suffer the same problem.

does that mean if you fit a 3.2 gearbox ecu it will work ?
ive never liked the hanging on to gears of my 2.6

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 October 2021, 17:50:14 »

Interesting question...

I suspect not as the engine ecu will have a say on the shift points... Bottom line is that the 2.6, whilst perfectly adequate, simply doesn't have the torque and power of the 3.2 and the gearbox is directed to allow for this.

The 2.2 is worse still as it needs to be worked in order to make progress. Having owned both a 3.2 and 2.2 with both gearboxes and an auto 2.6, I can attest the following...

3.2: no real difference in the way they drive except that the manual is more economical and cruises at a lower rpm due to the fifth gear. Also manual is slightly quicker.

2.2: marked difference. The auto box isn't really suited to making progress... It's quite a revvy engine and only having four gears gets tiresome. The manual gives the same advantages as in the 3.2 but allows you to make the most of the engine.

2.6: only had an auto, and whilst fine for 'normal' use, isn't really set up for anything else as the torque deficiency limits progress, hence it holding on to gears. But as it only has four, it struggles to find the right one.
I suspect that a manual 2.6 would be a better experience... With being DBW, I also suspect that the 2.6 loses something to the 2.5 in terms of driveability...

Basically if you want to get the most out of your Omega, buy a manual or the 3.0/3.2.
Onanists always think outside the box.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 October 2021, 18:01:53 »

thanks for the reply.
am happy with mine as a 2.6 .plenty powerfull for me but definately staying an auto.if i find a 3.2 gearbox ecu il see if theres any difference.
when i first got the car the shift points were much higher and i swapped the ecu at the time for another identical one so not sure if one had had updates or just the "learning" effect.
thanks

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 October 2021, 18:12:41 »

thanks for the reply.
am happy with mine as a 2.6 .plenty powerfull for me but definately staying an auto.if i find a 3.2 gearbox ecu il see if theres any difference.
when i first got the car the shift points were much higher and i swapped the ecu at the time for another identical one so not sure if one had had updates or just the "learning" effect.
thanks

There's no difference in ECU's (apart from software upgrades which are hit and miss depending on how much time a car has seen a Tech II attached to it), regardless the later software makes the box changes smoother and stops the 40mph hunting between gears issue. There is supposed to be an element of learning on the part of the ECU but then I'm generally the only one who drives my car so not sure i've noticed it!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 October 2021, 18:27:42 »

thanks for the reply.
thanks
My post makes it sound like I am anti 2.6... I'm not, but my bias, from an ownership perspective is towards manual 3.2s, and have had enough time in 2.2s of both flavours to appreciate the difference between the gearboxes with less power.

At the end of the day, the 2.6 still has 100 bhp/tonne. So it's fine, if a little underwhelming in todays terms :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Stu.C

• Lancashire
    • 2.0 Capri / 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • Visit the blog...
« Reply #10 on: 15 October 2021, 12:57:11 »

Interesting thread deviation whilst I've been away all week with work.  :)  This 2.6 auto just happens to be what I ended up with at the time, but the reality is it's a high-mileage relic that doesn't justify any efforts at improvement over standard, but should soldier on quite happily with regular maintenance.

New gaskets and a rinsed out filter it is then...  :y

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 October 2021, 13:43:58 »

I could do with new gaskets, mine are very leaky  :(
Diesel till I die

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 October 2021, 15:37:54 »

Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 October 2021, 15:46:25 »

Here you go. £8.75 well spent.  :y
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381708301810?epid=5035059701&hash=item58df9675f2:g:G7cAAOSwJHdf14TR
Cheers, Albs, but mine are a bit more industrial than those flimsy looking things  ;D
Diesel till I die

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 October 2021, 16:31:12 »

;D ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.