Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: No no definitely no.  (Read 3867 times)

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
Re: No no definitely no.
« Reply #15 on: 08 November 2021, 18:13:46 »

It seems the consensus is: why bother with it if you don't have to?
As you were, Mick, S2000 it is  ;D

I suppose we could have it wrapped in a nice red colour..
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 November 2021, 18:28:17 »

A few years back a colleague had an MGF he had so many problems with it he almost went insane ! That's what made me say no to her.
Everyone will tell you that the K series eats head gaskets, but I think that wasn't really true. Not on the ones I owned, anyway.

That's the first thing that went through my mind, but I know there is a conversion kit to avoid this, but really don't want the hassle.

Conversion Kit? There's no need, as long you do the job properly: use a good quality gasket(either of the commonly suggested types will do), skim the head, and most importantly check the liner heights and shim them as necessary. None of that should be difficult for a competent mechanic.

Biggest killer of MGFs is now rot in the sills and rear subframe mounts.

As for problems to drive you insane, buy a Boxster. Although there's a really good chance of an unplanned off road excursion with one of those.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 November 2021, 18:30:22 »

It seems the consensus is: why bother with it if you don't have to?
As you were, Mick, S2000 it is  ;D

The S2000 revs to 9000 RPM and has the power and torque curves of a peaky bike engine.

It can really  only be driven with a heavy right foot. It can't be stroked along at low revs in a high gear because it has SFA in the way of low down torque.

Great fun for the young, and the young at heart. :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 November 2021, 18:32:51 »

.......much like the RX8 that I very kindly bought for Mrs Opti.

Very little torque and what little there was didn't arrive until about 8000 RPM.

« Last Edit: 08 November 2021, 18:36:18 by Field Marshal Dr. Opti »

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 November 2021, 18:50:26 »

A few years back a colleague had an MGF he had so many problems with it he almost went insane ! That's what made me say no to her.
Everyone will tell you that the K series eats head gaskets, but I think that wasn't really true. Not on the ones I owned, anyway.

That's the first thing that went through my mind, but I know there is a conversion kit to avoid this, but really don't want the hassle.

Conversion Kit? There's no need, as long you do the job properly: use a good quality gasket(either of the commonly suggested types will do), skim the head, and most importantly check the liner heights and shim them as necessary. None of that should be difficult for a competent mechanic.

Biggest killer of MGFs is now rot in the sills and rear subframe mounts.

As for problems to drive you insane, buy a Boxster. Although there's a really good chance of an unplanned off road excursion with one of those.

Competent mechanic me ! Definitely not ,check oil water tyres etc & keep vehicles maintained by trusted professionals, can't see any point in buying a 20 year old MG to throw money at it was only about 1500cc not my cup of tea at all.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08 November 2021, 19:03:52 »

Competent mechanic me ! Definitely not ,check oil water tyres etc & keep vehicles maintained by trusted professionals, can't see any point in buying a 20 year old MG to throw money at it was only about 1500cc not my cup of tea at all.

There are a tiny number of 1600cc cars, but all the rest were 1800s. Those range from 118hp to 160, which have performance figures that are very similar to the S2000 mentioned earlier. A VVC MGF is a quick car(0-60 in 6.9s and 137MPH), and its small size makes that performance usable anywhere. Not bad for a couple of Metro subframes and a Freelander engine. Being mid-engined, you do need to be careful in the rain....

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08 November 2021, 19:08:38 »

I had no idea what car a MGF was, so looked it up and found this on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363364202400?campid=5338627314&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&toolid=10050&customid=Cj0KCQiAsqOMBhDFARIsAFBTN3cw8mtWlOZf9R8M1R4-uN0ZsQ4zCei8lsWf8wY-9qv8VTswbhEGq_0aAv-wEALw_wcB&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&customid=Cj0KCQiAsqOMBhDFARIsAFBTN3cw8mtWlOZf9R8M1R4-uN0ZsQ4zCei8lsWf8wY-9qv8VTswbhEGq_0aAv-wEALw_wcB&gclid=Cj0KCQiAsqOMBhDFARIsAFBTN3cw8mtWlOZf9R8M1R4-uN0ZsQ4zCei8lsWf8wY-9qv8VTswbhEGq_0aAv-wEALw_wcB

All for breaking!!  :o :o :o :o

That would definitely put me off from buying one! ::) ::) :D ;)

Haven't you bought parts from people who make money breaking Omegas?

MGFs are currently in the dangerous stage where a poor one is worth nothing, an adequate one is worth slightly more as parts than it is as a car, and good ones are appreciating noticeably in value.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08 November 2021, 19:28:17 »

Very little torque and what little there was didn't arrive until about 8000 RPM.

Nice looking cars but would have been better with a nice V6 lump.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 08 November 2021, 19:58:35 »

Shame she preferred the Corsa!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08 November 2021, 19:59:10 »

There are a tiny number of 1600cc cars, but all the rest were 1800s. Those range from 118hp to 160, which have performance figures that are very similar to the S2000 mentioned earlier. A VVC MGF is a quick car(0-60 in 6.9s and 137MPH), and its small size makes that performance usable anywhere. Not bad for a couple of Metro subframes and a Freelander engine. Being mid-engined, you do need to be careful in the rain....

No not bad but it has no chance at all against the Honda

https://zeperfs.com/en/duel459-1235.htm

Laying a rubber road.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08 November 2021, 20:16:21 »

I had no idea what car a MGF was, so looked it up and found this on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363364202400?campid=5338627314&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&toolid=10050&customid=Cj0KCQiAsqOMBhDFARIsAFBTN3cw8mtWlOZf9R8M1R4-uN0ZsQ4zCei8lsWf8wY-9qv8VTswbhEGq_0aAv-wEALw_wcB&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&customid=Cj0KCQiAsqOMBhDFARIsAFBTN3cw8mtWlOZf9R8M1R4-uN0ZsQ4zCei8lsWf8wY-9qv8VTswbhEGq_0aAv-wEALw_wcB&gclid=Cj0KCQiAsqOMBhDFARIsAFBTN3cw8mtWlOZf9R8M1R4-uN0ZsQ4zCei8lsWf8wY-9qv8VTswbhEGq_0aAv-wEALw_wcB

All for breaking!!  :o :o :o :o

That would definitely put me off from buying one! ::) ::) :D ;)

Haven't you bought parts from people who make money breaking Omegas?

MGFs are currently in the dangerous stage where a poor one is worth nothing, an adequate one is worth slightly more as parts than it is as a car, and good ones are appreciating noticeably in value.

Maybe I haven’t noticed before, but I have never seen so many breakers being advertised for the same car ;)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 08 November 2021, 20:23:56 »

I had a girlfriend who had an MGF and it was always full of crap, so she'd get really pissed off when I insisted on putting the roof down on nice days.  ::)  ;D

I mean.... WTF's the point in having a soft top if you never put the roof down.......  'cause all your crap will fly out the back if you do!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08 November 2021, 20:36:35 »

I can honestly say I've never travelled in a two seater, roof or no roof.
Diesel till I die
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.