Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: LPG Kit Bulk Buy - Who's up for it?  (Read 5060 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
LPG Kit Bulk Buy - Who's up for it?
« on: 28 November 2007, 11:08:55 »

Well, JamesV6CDX's LPG conversion went very smoothly, the kit seems to include everything required and there were no issues whatsoever fitting it to an Omega.

I also heard back from Jeremy today regarding the bulk buy I proposed and he's prepared to offer a discount of 10% on the front end kits giving a saving of about £50 off the EBay price of £495.

Regarding the fitting, James and I were thinking about this at the weekend. 3 of us spent the best part of a weekend getting his car up and running. We did everything except fitting the LPG tank and mounting and connecting the filler and it was pretty hard work. We did spend a bit of time chasing round for parts on Saturday morning and the obligatory breaks for tea, bacon sarnies and (later in the day) beer. I'm not sure that we'd get a lot of kits fitted at an "LPG party" if we were going to tackle complete installs. However, as long as people are happy to tackle the straightforward bits themselves (tank and filler fitting, pipe & cable routing, vapouriser mounting, etc.) I think a party where we finish off the details and do the tricky bits, make electrical connections, check systems over and adjust fuel maps would be a good idea.

Having seen James' install I'm certainly happy to go ahead with it myself. Do we have any more who are prepared to firm up their interest in this?

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Paulus

• Wheaton Aston
  • Are you lookin' at me??? Punk???
    • View Profile
Re: LPG Kit Bulk Buy - Who's up for it?
« Reply #1 on: 28 November 2007, 11:44:22 »

My interest is concrete. I have got a tank which I hope to install at the weekend (weather permitting).
Growing old disgracefully...

A380 Elite

• Ashford, Middx.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 November 2007, 11:49:35 »

Hi Kevin,

I'm up for your oil LPG party, however i have to watch my penny's. (James knows why)

I'm also one of these people who dont no 1 end of a car to another.

So i would need the full work's?

Is there a total, all parts + labour.

Thank's.
Darth Loo-Knee, He The Man

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 November 2007, 11:53:29 »

Count me in please.

I would feel quite comfortable handling the items that you mention.  What sort of time frames are we looking at for "the gathering"?
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

holey head

• Intermediate Member
  • leeds uk
  • i'm a new dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 November 2007, 12:08:44 »

i'd be interested.
ouch my head hurts! i'll try and remember to wear my helmet next time i'm out on the quad!

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #5 on: 28 November 2007, 12:13:42 »

100% :y
Vauxhall & Halfords Trade Club Card Holder - Irmscher 3.0 V6 Elite & Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 November 2007, 12:20:56 »

What sort of time frames are we looking at for "the gathering"?

I'm pretty flexible really. Subject to having a venue, the LPG kits and enough cars in the right state of readiness we can do it whenever suits.

We've only really considered DIY kits. For parts for a full DIY installation I'd say around £700 once you've got the tank and all other bits and pieces. For a professional installation I believe Elite Pete found a guy who could do it around the £1k mark. It might also be worth giving Jeremy a call as he does installations too. I'll drop you a PM with his phone number.

I'd say that whilst most of the installation is pretty straightforward, and help is available for the tricky bits, it's probably not something to tackle as your first automotive "project".

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 November 2007, 13:32:08 »

i would be happy to get involved form a help point of view having done mine and discovered some of the pitfalls

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 November 2007, 13:38:28 »

I'm pretty flexible really. Subject to having a venue, the LPG kits and enough cars in the right state of readiness we can do it whenever suits.

We've only really considered DIY kits. For parts for a full DIY installation I'd say around £700 once you've got the tank and all other bits and pieces. For a professional installation I believe Elite Pete found a guy who could do it around the £1k mark. It might also be worth giving Jeremy a call as he does installations too. I'll drop you a PM with his phone number.

I'd say that whilst most of the installation is pretty straightforward, and help is available for the tricky bits, it's probably not something to tackle as your first automotive "project".

Kevin

Just to put it into context i bought the lot from Jeremy, it cost me £705 and that was for the 70l tank, factor into this certification (between £50 and £100 depends on who does it) and you are still quids in.

the kit comes with the LPGA guidlines, if these are followed then you really cant go wrong, for me the scariest bit was drilling the rear bumper.

In addition i have a spare inlet manifold that i am happy to donate to someone in order to drill out for the nozzels, this means that you just then swap your old one for this one and that can then be passed on to someone else to do the same (thus reducing time)

It's not something i would recommend as a first project to try on your own, but the mounting of the vapouriser, tank, ecu and injectors could be done by anyone who is confident with a hammer and tools  :y

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 November 2007, 13:55:31 »

Kevin

Just to put it into context i bought the lot from Jeremy, it cost me £705 and that was for the 70l tank, factor into this certification (between £50 and £100 depends on who does it) and you are still quids in.

the kit comes with the LPGA guidlines, if these are followed then you really cant go wrong, for me the scariest bit was drilling the rear bumper.

In addition i have a spare inlet manifold that i am happy to donate to someone in order to drill out for the nozzels, this means that you just then swap your old one for this one and that can then be passed on to someone else to do the same (thus reducing time)

It's not something i would recommend as a first project to try on your own, but the mounting of the vapouriser, tank, ecu and injectors could be done by anyone who is confident with a hammer and tools  :y
I saw an install the other day and the owner had put hinges on the back bottom of the number plate and the filler was behind. You wouldn't know it was there  :y
Retired

dippydave

• Sutton Coldfield, West Mids
  • how personal?
    • Vectra 2.0DTi Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 November 2007, 14:05:53 »

i'm very interested in this too, although think i'm a bit out of the way?

Also, are the kits only for big tanks? As i'd prefer to replace the spare with a donut tank in my saloon - need all the boot space i got!
Vectra Elite Estate doing good post-Omega service but still not as nice to sit in.

One last Omega on the drive, one Corsa on the lawn...maybe they'll go to a good home before too long!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 November 2007, 14:08:08 »

The kits I'm referring to are the front end - I.E. excluding the tank so you are free to choose the tank and he is aware of that.

Kevin

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
  • I'm On An Economy Drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 November 2007, 14:20:37 »

Pete, your contact in Wales can do the whole job for about £1,000 including certification and a 2 year warranty?

For the extra £200, which is less than 4 tanks of petrol, this sounds like a very good price. Are you still going to go down this route? If so, I would be very interested to find out how it goes. We are just too far from civilisation for me to attempt a diy without plenty of help.

Keep us posted on how you go.

Martin  :y
[size=24]        [/size][/b]

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 November 2007, 14:27:42 »

Pete, your contact in Wales can do the whole job for about £1,000 including certification and a 2 year warranty?

For the extra £200, which is less than 4 tanks of petrol, this sounds like a very good price. Are you still going to go down this route? If so, I would be very interested to find out how it goes. We are just too far from civilisation for me to attempt a diy without plenty of help.

Hi Martin

I hope to get mine converted as soon as I replace my dis pack, plug leads and plugs so hopefully before Christmas :y
Retired

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
  • I'm On An Economy Drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 November 2007, 14:31:42 »

Hi Martin

I hope to get mine converted as soon as I replace my dis pack, plug leads and plugs so hopefully before Christmas :y

For a grand Pete, it would be worth venturing in to sheep country. The savings on the way home would easily cover the Severn Bridge toll. I'm guessing that the price he gave you was for the V6, it may be even less for the 4 pot.

I'm sure you'll let us know how it all goes.
[size=24]        [/size][/b]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 21 queries.