Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A coach driver question............  (Read 3414 times)

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
A coach driver question............
« on: 05 September 2014, 22:30:30 »

Whilst not currently driving Coaches I still have a licence to do so, reading a comment in another thread got me thinking..... ::) ::)

More so in the 80's and later as a mature student in the mid to late 90's I used to do Coach Driving on a part time basis.

My question is, with modern service stations being what they are do the drives still get fed for free, I remember going to the front of the Que, signing a book and ordering what you liked at any motorway service station. I also remember getting free fish and chips in Blackpool and Scarborough when they noticed your 'badge' which in the old days you had to wear on display.

I also remember my mate and myself often going to Washington services in the car for out tea, taking our badges with us and getting free food; oh the good old days............. :D

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
Re: A coach driver question............
« Reply #1 on: 05 September 2014, 23:23:17 »

Whilst not currently driving Coaches I still have a licence to do so, reading a comment in another thread got me thinking..... ::) ::)

More so in the 80's and later as a mature student in the mid to late 90's I used to do Coach Driving on a part time basis.

My question is, with modern service stations being what they are do the drives still get fed for free, I remember going to the front of the Que, signing a book and ordering what you liked at any motorway service station. I also remember getting free fish and chips in Blackpool and Scarborough when they noticed your 'badge' which in the old days you had to wear on display.

I also remember my mate and myself often going to Washington services in the car for out tea, taking our badges with us and getting free food; oh the good old days............. :D

It would seem so Mike, the driver just shows his 'work ticket' in lieu of the badge ;)
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 September 2014, 00:03:36 »

It would seem so Mike, the driver just shows his 'work ticket' in lieu of the badge ;)

Thanks Seth.... ;) ;) do you think a badge would still work? Not seriously, I hardly ever end up in a motorway service station these days........ :D :D

bago

• Leicester
    • face lift 2.5 Elite bus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 September 2014, 07:20:15 »

you may have a valid licence but you now need a drivers CPC as of the 09/09/2014  so have fun

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 September 2014, 07:28:37 »

Thanks Seth.... ;) ;) do you think a badge would still work? Not seriously, I hardly ever end up in a motorway service station these days........ :D :D

The thought of eating in a motorway service station is mildly terrifying, free or not...
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 September 2014, 08:57:41 »

Most services now operate a coaches club, enquire when you abandon,the vehicle. :)
Also if you haven't completed 35hrs cpc training as of 5/9/14. you cant drive a coach or hgv.
Hoof'land storeman.

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 September 2014, 10:17:46 »

Most services now operate a coaches club, enquire when you abandon,the vehicle. :)
Also if you haven't completed 35hrs cpc training as of 5/9/14. you cant drive a coach or hgv.

you may have a valid licence but you now need a drivers CPC as of the 09/09/2014  so have fun

To drive vocationally ;)

So long as you renew your LGV/PCV licence when due, you retain the entitlement ;)
« Last Edit: 06 September 2014, 10:20:04 by Seth »
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 September 2014, 10:34:13 »

I know for a fact at Maidstone services they do not feed anyone as a rule. The reason behind was due to Kent police as they used to feed the motorway guys until a coach load of plod turned up one day, so from then on in they decided it was worth it >:(
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 September 2014, 12:55:32 »

If you hold a valid hgv or psv. And you haven't completed 35hrs of training you cannot drive a psv or coach. Your licence may be vaild, but isn't worth owt,unless you have a valid dqc card. No dqc no drivee
Hoof'land storeman.

Rog

« Reply #9 on: 06 September 2014, 13:14:14 »

The thought of eating in a motorway service station is mildly terrifying, free or not...

My only reason for EVER stopping at a motorway services is if I am bursting for a pee or I really am very VERY VERY desperate for fuel  ::)

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 September 2014, 19:26:55 »

My only reason for EVER stopping at a motorway services is if I am bursting for a pee or I really am very VERY VERY desperate for fuel  ::)

I never stop at services if the kids need a wee tough  ;D

especially as last time I stopped in services I got fleeced nearly 15 quid for breakfast :o

ted_one

« Reply #11 on: 06 September 2014, 19:43:44 »

Got to agree with biggriffin....you will have to bring yourself up to speed with the CPC..have just done mine for my PCV as it's now a requirement for continuing in employment for both industries. :y

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 September 2014, 19:56:12 »

The thing you need to ask is, will you drive professionally again, if no then don't bother renewing your entitlement,when you need a medical its a cost thing.anything from £50 to £120 just for a,medical,then £200+ for 35hrs,of cpc training
Hoof'land storeman.

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 September 2014, 20:46:47 »

Yes, thanks, I know about that, I also have HGV.......... :y :y

05omegav6

« Reply #14 on: 07 September 2014, 23:32:21 »

Coaches/buses were 2013, and CPC only required if you are employed to drive. Wouldn't apply to a person driving a horse box with their own pets, but as soon as the horse does summat where a prize is involved then it becomes commercial and the CPC is required, not to mention then also needing an Operators Licence ::)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.