Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Sandwich Plate same as Intake Flange  (Read 31344 times)

polilara

• Finland
    • 2.6 Y26SE Elegance 2001
    • View Profile
Is Sandwich Plate same as Intake Flange
« on: 28 March 2024, 10:42:42 »

So I am there deep in V, Y26SE V6. Looking for Torque Values. Is it so that Sandwich Plate to Heads is 20Nm and thus next part Intage Bridge to Sandwich Plate is 20Nm, too. How about those four bolts of plenum to Intake?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Is Sandwich Plate same as Intake Flange
« Reply #1 on: 28 March 2024, 14:12:42 »

Plenum to intake is 8Nm IIRC
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 March 2024, 17:46:19 »

Plenum to intake is 8Nm IIRC

Which is what you'd expect for an M6 fastener.

I would consider using a torque wrench on the bolts into the plastic manifold, but don't see the need for any of the others.

polilara

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 March 2024, 08:48:59 »

Thanks, yes, have to be careful with those plastic parts. What I often wonder is the warning of cam cover bolts overtightening. How can you warp the covers? It is 'Metal to Metal". I tighten them as long as I can feel this metal contact when the brass spacer contacts the head and that's it.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 March 2024, 11:08:21 »

Thanks, yes, have to be careful with those plastic parts. What I often wonder is the warning of cam cover bolts overtightening. How can you warp the covers? It is 'Metal to Metal". I tighten them as long as I can feel this metal contact when the brass spacer contacts the head and that's it.
The plastic cam covers can easily be overtightened on V6 engines  Remember there is an o ring between the cam cover and the camshaft bit it bolts to.
Grumpy old man

polilara

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 March 2024, 11:35:39 »

Ok, what I believed is that the O-ring is around the brass spacer in a groove. When this spacer contacts the camshaft bit you can feel it. Turning more just destroys the thread. Have to study this more when back in my carage. Have there my old original covers. Now sitting in my Mobile Home, having nice Easter Time.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 March 2024, 11:39:07 »

Ok, what I believed is that the O-ring is around the brass spacer in a groove. When this spacer contacts the camshaft bit you can feel it. Turning more just destroys the thread. Have to study this more when back in my carage. Have there my old original covers. Now sitting in my Mobile Home, having nice Easter Time.
The o ring still sits proud.  8Nm is supposed to be enough to seal the hole, and still have some compression left in it. So defo possible to bend the covers by over tightening, as we've seen all too frequently by mechanics massively overtightening them, then claiming the covers are warped when the oil pisses out :y
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 March 2024, 17:32:05 »

The cam covers aren't a particularly good design; they're not particularly rigid, most plastic don't react well to heat cycles, the actual seal is very narrow and the securing bolts are too far away from the sealing surfaces. If you then consider just how easy it is to massively overtighten an M6 bolt without even trying, and suddenly it will seem surprising that more of them aren't damaged.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 March 2024, 20:56:31 »

Whilst the design could be improved in a number of ways, it is what it is, and works if technicians can be arsed to pick up a torque wrench.

Sadly, most are either too stupid to use on, or have egos that don't allow the use of them, with the result that many grades shag them, and many other parts...
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.