Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Halfords Battery Testing, need replacement battery  (Read 1344 times)

Ironingboard

• Intermediate Member
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
Halfords Battery Testing, need replacement battery
« on: 20 February 2009, 09:27:17 »

I have a question I hope someone can give me some info on. I notice that when I switch on my rear demister my aircon goes slower, or when I switch on my hazard warning lights my inside lights start to flash as well, not really a problem, its not really that noticeable.

Anyway I took my car to Halfords who have a bosch battery tester and it reports that the battery is only 45% serviceable and should be replaced.

But the voltage given with my own volt meter reads 12.87 volts. Does my battery need replaced?

PaulW

• Omega Knight
  • Somewhere near Manchester
  • Come on you fiend!
    • Some crappy Insignia
    • View Profile
Re: Halfords Battery Testing, need replacement battery
« Reply #1 on: 20 February 2009, 09:32:27 »

Mine does exactly the same as yours, nothing to worry about tbh...  Usually just sign of a weak earth or soemething...

Just look how much they 'Charge' you for the new battery, then you will understand why they want to sell you one :)
Humbugs...

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 February 2009, 09:33:26 »

Battery testing and voltage at the battery are different things!

I personally would go to an independent garage and ask them to test the battery for you as I don't trust Halfrauds! :y :y

As for the other problems... They point to a bad earth, which may be cured if the battery was replaced and probably by accident ::) ::)

[edit]If I were a bit closer I'd test it for you as I've got a tester ::) ::)

Oh... And most garages will test batteries for free :y :y[/edit]
« Last Edit: 20 February 2009, 09:35:01 by Lazydocker »
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Ironingboard

• Intermediate Member
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 February 2009, 09:48:16 »

Thanks for the offer  :y

Yeah I thought as much, car starts on the first crank. Think I need to clean my -ve connection to the battery. Any one know where the battery -ve is connected under the bonnet, is it a combination.... engine block and car frame?

Black Knight

• York
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 February 2009, 09:49:22 »

I wouldn't set foot in Halfrauds myself.

Battery sounds fine to me.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 February 2009, 09:49:24 »

Thanks for the offer  :y

Yeah I thought as much, car starts on the first crank. Think I need to clean my -ve connection to the battery. Any one know where the battery -ve is connected under the bonnet, is it a combination.... engine block and car frame?

All over the place unfortunately... Just follow them :y :y :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

PaulW

• Omega Knight
  • Somewhere near Manchester
  • Come on you fiend!
    • Some crappy Insignia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 February 2009, 09:52:18 »

shyboy on here did run an extra earth strap from the battery to the engine block, which he says did improve things to a certain degree :)
Humbugs...

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 February 2009, 12:07:29 »

Some info on checking the state of your battery properly here: http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1225724099

I wouldn't trust Halfrauds. You can't test a battery by just chucking a voltmeter on it. Follow the steps in the link above for a better procedure to follow. It does sound more like a poor conenction somewhere in this case.

Last time I bought a battery at Halfrauds it was after driving there following a jump start and total battery failure :-[. Decided to use their "fit it free" service as I didn't have any tools. :-[

My car was declared a "difficult fit" (FFS- how can fitting a battery be difficult).

Needless to say it turned out to be a "Borrow Halfrauds' tools to fit your own battery while the breakless muppet stands and has a fag" service. Still, it got me back on the road.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 February 2009, 13:01:13 »

Some info on checking the state of your battery properly here: http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1225724099

I wouldn't trust Halfrauds. You can't test a battery by just chucking a voltmeter on it. Follow the steps in the link above for a better procedure to follow. It does sound more like a poor conenction somewhere in this case.

Last time I bought a battery at Halfrauds it was after driving there following a jump start and total battery failure :-[. Decided to use their "fit it free" service as I didn't have any tools. :-[

My car was declared a "difficult fit" (FFS- how can fitting a battery be difficult).

Needless to say it turned out to be a "Borrow Halfrauds' tools to fit your own battery while the breakless muppet stands and has a fag" service. Still, it got me back on the road.

Kevin
I suppose when the said muppet's lifetime achievements are tying his own shoelaces and going to the toilet on his own, anything else can be challenging. ;D ;D
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 February 2009, 13:54:32 »

Kevin
I'll change your battery, but I'll have to take the car for a spin afterwards, to ensure it all works properly for total customer satisfaction  8-)
Grumpy old man

stuyg

• beds
    • 99 2.5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 February 2009, 19:02:42 »

clean as many earth points as you can find !
had this with mine spent a couple of hours cleaning all sorted  :y
as far as i know should be around 13.8 v at the battery at idle with nothing on hth :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.