Chat Area > General Discussion Area

British Coal

<< < (2/6) > >>

biggriffin:

--- Quote from: scimmy_man on 23 January 2023, 09:15:17 ---The government asked Drax to re open the coal fired plant earlier this year,
they are bringing coal in in biomas trucks, shh

--- End quote ---

Is it British Coal, or that stuff from the EU, or STH America bloody Brexit

Sir Tigger KC:
A slight deviation so apologies to the OP, but I'm mulling fitting a woodburner/multi fuel and was checking out the prices of logs and coal the other day.

A local coal merchant had a notice on it's website that said that due to new regulations they are only allowed to deliver coal in open bags. Coal or smokeless oval/briquettes that are delivered in sealed plastic bags will have the bags slit open on delivery to comply with the regulations.   ::) 

What's that about?  ???  :-\

Mister Rog:

--- Quote from: Sir Tigger KC on 23 January 2023, 22:58:27 ---A slight deviation so apologies to the OP, but I'm mulling fitting a woodburner/multi fuel and was checking out the prices of logs and coal the other day.

A local coal merchant had a notice on it's website that said that due to new regulations they are only allowed to deliver coal in open bags. Coal or smokeless oval/briquettes that are delivered in sealed plastic bags will have the bags slit open on delivery to comply with the regulations.   ::) 

--- End quote ---

Interesting. I'm in the process of maybe replacing or maybe repairing our ancient solid fuel Rayburn.

I came across this . . . .

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/selling-coal-for-domestic-use-in-england

It's unclear if this covers what are called "Ovoids" which are permitted in my area. I'm not sure what they mean by "traditional house coal" I think this is the lumps of stuff as it comes from the ground. I now need to find out if any of this affects the Ovoids that are widely available.

I have gas water and central heating but I like the idea of additional solid fuel when you know exactly what you're spending and using. Yes, I know it's very un-trendy and frowned upon, but I like having an independent source of energy.

Doctor Gollum:
We used to live in a village where there is no mains gas, so your options are :

Bottled gas
Oil
Electricity
Coal
Peat

Our house had a coal boiler and an open fireplace. We used to have power cuts every time it was a bit breezy. Which meant that quite often we would have heating and hot water, although the boiler had a mechanical timer, it relied on electricity to ignite. However, it did have a back up mechanical igniter. And the fire was used for cooking.

Suffice to say there's still a coal merchant in the village.

STEMO:

--- Quote from: Sir Tigger KC on 23 January 2023, 22:58:27 ---A slight deviation so apologies to the OP, but I'm mulling fitting a woodburner/multi fuel and was checking out the prices of logs and coal the other day.

--- End quote ---
Just been playing with my google and the only thing that I can find is:

Q: How should I store my coal?

A: If you order it loose then ideally in a bunker or in a dry corner of your shed. If you order in pre-packed bags store them either in a garage/shed or under tarpaulin. Store away from prolonged spells of direct sunlight as this will cause the bags to become brittle. If you open a bag at least a day or two before use this should give your coal/smokeless fuel sufficient enough time to get the air to be dry enough for your fire.

There are other clues and I'm assuming that the bags are open so that the coal is not damp and  burns properly, so does not produce nasty fumes which are bad for the environment/you. Similar to only burning seasoned wood, I'm guessing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version