Chat Area > General Discussion Area

4G congestion advice

(1/3) > >>

Varche:
We live in the sticks and so have limited choice of internet. No copper or fibre and never will be.

We have 4G internet ( SIM in a router) and it works . However in the last four weeks it has become noticeably useless. I suspect more of our neighbours are either streaming tv , gaming etc.

I am going to prod our village “ mayor” to make noises on our behalf to the phone company. It would be handy to arm him with what the solution is. Anyone tech savvy please?  Another rack of cards?

There are only around 35 occupied houses so maybe 60 users. Being blunt the phone co  wont give a damn being as it is Spain but I feel I have to do something as we have given up trying to stream TV.. Even posting this is a trial at 1 am our time.

Doctor Gollum:
Different network?

I would think that nheighbours streaming would only affect your connection if they are using your connection because it is via a sim, so effectively a personal connection rather than shared from the landline connection.  :-\

Marks DTM Calib:
Probably dropped an 5G NSA install at the 4G base station, anyway of seeing if you now have 5G coverage in your area?

Marks DTM Calib:

--- Quote from: Doctor Gollum on 23 January 2023, 01:39:34 ---Different network?

I would think that nheighbours streaming would only affect your connection if they are using your connection because it is via a sim, so effectively a personal connection rather than shared from the landline connection.  :-\

--- End quote ---

Back haul network is always the bottleneck, more users less to go around  :y

Kevin Wood:

--- Quote from: Marks DTM Calib on 23 January 2023, 07:25:59 ---
--- Quote from: Doctor Gollum on 23 January 2023, 01:39:34 ---Different network?

--- End quote ---

Back haul network is always the bottleneck, more users less to go around  :y

--- End quote ---

Yes, there's nothing "personal" about a mobile network. You are all sharing a limited resource (often quite limited in a rural area).

As said, if they've added some 5G it will likely have reduced the local 4G capacity, so might be useful to get ahead of the trend and get a 5G capable router.

Sadly, the network is probably not making enough money from a rural cell to convince them to spend significant money upgrading it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version