Chat Area > General Discussion Area

Amazon workers on strike.

(1/2) > >>

Rangie:
Just watched a report on the BBC news , sounds awful conditions to work in I feel for them & shop workers working for a pittance if anyone deserves pay rises they do. As for public service employees been there done that and done okay from it,  they need to realise how well off they are in comparison, and the lazy bastards need to stop whining.

Doctor Gollum:
Three things.

Firstly, they chose to work there.
Secondly, it's a shit company to work for.*
Thirdly, all striking will do is make things more expensive, which is presumably what they are striking for.

*Most multinationals are unless you are in management. DHL, for example, don't list anything below FLM level in their structure.

Unless you are a fully signed up drone, eventually you will be actively drummed out of companies like Amazon. Striking is a waste of time, so you may as well look for another job.

Varche:
On your three things

1 A lot of people don’t have much choice over where they work

2 That is why they want a pay rise from £10.50 an hour for ten hour shift with two 30 minute breaks ( one of which is paid).

3. That is the great paradox but surely ,in a civilised society, you should go home with enough for a reasonable life especially if the business is booming ( which Amazon is).

Doctor Gollum:

--- Quote from: Varche on 25 January 2023, 12:58:48 ---On your three things

1 A lot of people don’t have much choice over where they work

2 That is why they want a pay rise from £10.50 an hour for ten hour shift with two 30 minute breaks ( one of which is paid).

3. That is the great paradox but surely ,in a civilised society, you should go home with enough for a reasonable life especially if the business is booming ( which Amazon is).

--- End quote ---
1. Rubbish.

2. That far exceeds their legal obligation of one 20 minute break.
    https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work
They actually get 3 times the minimum.

3. If they want to earn more, then they can choose to work elsewhere. Again, they aren't slaves. How much the company makes is irrelevant.

YZ250:

--- Quote from: Doctor Gollum on 25 January 2023, 11:59:13 ---……….
Striking is a waste of time, so you may as well look for another job.

--- End quote ---

They’re not allowed to strike, I have Amazon prime and I expect next day delivery. What about my rights.  ::)  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version